First Look: Victorinox Forester Wood

Sounds familiar?
The fairs are done, the catalogs are out and the „I gotta get this“-feeling hits hard.
...more or less.
In my case, as for 2017, less.

Actually, the new arrivals for 2017 from „the big names“ didn´t do it for me.
Again.

I´m I getting old?
Did I lost my taste?

Worst case scenario, don´t I like tools anymore????
...panic settles in....

No, far from it!
Imature as ever, irresponsible and basically a big boy.
Says my wife.

Who´s to argue with SWMBO (She who must be obeyed)?

Nothing realy interesting, that´s just it.
Till now.

Victorinox announced, as usual, some nice additions to their lineup.

And if you get this far, bear with me, it will get interesting!

Let´s hear it for the Forester Wood:
YRW59IB.jpg

What´s that, a Forester with wooden scales?
Exactly that!

Very nicely done walnut-scales!
Pc8bog3.jpg

3tRH4vi.jpg

With it´s sibblings:
mJbqs0d.jpg

CSZ8WmO.jpg

It´s getting warmer, the days are longer, so off into the woods, doing some carving.
With the ecellent saw the Forester comes with:
tA0AkND.jpg

5RrG11O.jpg

1dlODHp.jpg

Don´t forget the awl:
uwZBY25.jpg

So, done:
b6eke2B.jpg

OPHogTw.jpg

Gotcha!
This piece of art wasn´t done by me, a shame actually...

As with all big 111mm-models the blade locks in place, using the proven, easy to use and reliable Liner-Lock.
A heavens send for a clumsy creature loke me...

As usual with Victorinox the Liner-Lock is leftyfriendly, meaning one has to push to the right side to unlock.
9fnYYeE.jpg

A half-stop adds security:
Pc8bog3.jpg

The same is true for the bottleopener, it locks as well (keep in mind, the heavenly, world known german beer still has bottle caps, not twist caps, and the Swiss know that!)
5iOaKRv.jpg

If you need more torque the bottle opener comes with a half-stop as well.

This handy feature is a legacy from the current Swiss/German Army knives and I realy like it.
But keep in mind:
The right tool for the job, folks.
That is a sturdy bottle opener, for sure, capable to double as a light to medium prybar, but this is not a Marine-proof crowbar!
:)

Speaking of opening a bottle...
If the bottle opener was used by this lovely couple, or the corkscrew unfortunately isn´t handen down to us...
S3qTggn.jpg

vKKfiRd.jpg

50GLqhQ.jpg

...Bottle opener, how about that :)

If this goes on for much longer, the canopener will come in handy, who drinks will get hungry for sure.
dW6l6N9.jpg

With its bigger brother and little sister:
oEdtZrh.jpg

sCG8del.jpg

Has anybody ever gotten a dull blade from Victorinox?
Na, me neither.
xzbCJIW.jpg

Sharp as a razor is more like it. What´s not to like?
If you managed to get a Vic dull it´s a breaze to resharpen, thanks to the timeproven stainless steel used.
3tRH4vi.jpg

Mq9Vhsf.jpg

Going into the woods, one could choose worse company than the Forester.
Actually its a pretty good choice!
vqUynDr.jpg

Right now I prefer natural materials, taking a step away from Zytel, Kydex, G10, FRN & Co.

Steel, wood, leather (I´m talking about the boots!)
A little fire and a hot coffe in the forest...

...I do get old. The simple things, you know?

It you managed to get to this point, thanks for bearing with me.

As usual, if you got any questions, shoot!

Last edited:
Wow, beautiful Forester! Also nice pics. Looks like a fine addition to your collection and a great piece for the kit.

Beautiful knife! I haven't been that attracted to Vic's longer models but this I find very appealing!

They shoulda started making that 50 years ago. Very very handsome. And cool. Knives with wood scales have a soul.

Thanks very much for your comments on wood and "the simple things." Yes, agreed.

Excellent post and knife description --- all highlighting those beautiful wood handles.
I ordered my Forester Wood (111mm) just last evening. It will come alongside my Victorinox Hunter Pro Wood....looking forward to it!

Victorinox announced, as usual, some nice additions to their lineup.
Let´s hear it for the Forester Wood ....a Forester with wooden scales....

Very nicely done walnut-scales!

Pc8bog3.jpg

Right now I prefer natural materials, taking a step away from Zytel, Kydex, G10, FRN & Co.

Steel, wood, leather (I´m talking about the boots!)
A little fire and a hot coffee in the forest...

...I do get old. The simple things, you know?

Bummer one more time.

I got my new Forester Wood in hand, took some nice photos, but cannot get photobucket to copy the photos into the Forum. It's got to be one of the worst photo service sites out there.:thumbsdown: Have been trying all weekend and today, but no go. The Victorinox knife is quality, as usual, has a great assortment of tools, and I think the wood scales are exceptionally beautiful.

Been thinking about trying out Flickr, but also haven't figured how I can copy my pb photos into that second photo web site. You might all guess that I'm not a big fan of cyberspace stuff.:(

If anyone is considering getting the Forester Wood after seeing the great photos and interesting comments in this thread, I'd say it would be an excellent addition to your knife collection!!:)

Sorry to do a slight necro from June, but have just ordered one. Anybody else got one of these in the past few months? Rather looking forward to this one. :cool:

Love the look of the wood, but never been into these particular models and don't see why they can't accept the toothpick and tweezers.

Love the look of the wood, but never been into these particular models and don't see why they can't accept the toothpick and tweezers.
I hear you . Perhaps it was a decision based on aesthetics? The dual medium grip version is also lacking, however, so it is something of a conundrum. I have tweezers in my first aid kit, so barring the inconvenience it isn’t a deal breaker for me.

The Champ will still be on hand for knife disassembly, though, those SAK tweezers are bloody useful. :)

Beautiful knife but it looks like the liner lock would be pretty uncomfortable if you need to grip the knife firmly. I'd be interested in your thoughts on that when you get it.

Beautiful knife but it looks like the liner lock would be pretty uncomfortable if you need to grip the knife firmly. I'd be interested in your thoughts on that when you get it.
I will be sure to report back, with pictures. :thumbsup:

At the same time, given that Christmas/Channukah [don’t ask] is approaching, I got a great deal on three black Foresters for my three kids. Each of them engraved with initials for a good price, and complete with toothpick and tweezers. Looking forward to mine arriving :cool:

Well, it arrived from Germany, interestingly, a couple of days ago. Here is a quick glimpse, sorry for the sub-optimal quality:

o6wyP2r.jpg

W Wardo46

I will need to test this knife thoroughly, but your concern regarding the liner lock is reasonable. I’d say there are two natural positions, both of which avoid making a hot spot of the liner. The ‘choked up’ forward position is very good, the backward, hammer grip is further back than is totally ideal, due to the liner.

That being said, I love it. I’m going to do some proper, real world testing, which surely must involve woodland, if only due to the name of this tool. I’ll return in a month or two, with better pictures.

I thought this thread would not be so old to give it a little bump!
I had been eyeing on this knife for many times until I could no longer wait! :)
It's really strange how impressed you can be with Victorinox - every time you pull it out of the box! They always make their knives just flawlessly. I might be biased because I love Victorinox but still!

HpYP26Q.jpg

The wood on this one is gorgeous! It's not treated in any way so it will probably live a little with dirty hands but that's fine for me.

mFyrGkA.jpg

According to pictures I've browsed through internet these come in varying shades. The opposite side is slightly lighter, but shades to darker at the bottom. Beautiful!

XyjHtDS.jpg

Someone asked if the liner is issue- for me it's certainly not. I love the full grip handle and the warmth of the wood in hand.

This will be my summer knife for sure, popping beers and opening wines, whittling sausage roasting sticks! :D

Absolutely stunned!

I thought this thread would not be so old to give it a little bump!
I had been eyeing on this knife for many times until I could no longer wait! :)
It's really strange how impressed you can be with Victorinox - every time you pull it out of the box! They always make their knives just flawlessly. I might be biased because I love Victorinox but still!

HpYP26Q.jpg

The wood on this one is gorgeous! It's not treated in any way so it will probably live a little with dirty hands but that's fine for me.

mFyrGkA.jpg

According to pictures I've browsed through internet these come in varying shades. The opposite side is slightly lighter, but shades to darker at the bottom. Beautiful!

XyjHtDS.jpg

Someone asked if the liner is issue- for me it's certainly not. I love the full grip handle and the warmth of the wood in hand.

This will be my summer knife for sure, popping beers and opening wines, whittling sausage roasting sticks! :D

Absolutely stunned!
Yay! Great post, and nice to think ahead to Summer - it's pissing down with rain where I am right now..! :)

Back