First Reate to buy?

sharp_edge

Gold Member
Greetings, Reate knife owners,

I have been thinking about purchasing a Reate folder for quite a while but have not made up my mind with which one. I am not planning to do crazy things with it - just want to gain some first-hand experience of Reate knives through fondling and maybe light EDC. My budget would be $400 top. FYI, I'm not a newbie to knives, in particular flippers (ZT, Hinderer, etc.). Thx in advance.

I started with the Hills. A great flipper and solid knife at a reasonable price level.

Then, the District 9 plus, a monster of a knife and great flipper. Then, the Horizon C, another bigger knife and smooth flipper-really a solid knife, too.

Finally, the Wave which is my favorite. A great size for EDC and the best flipper of all knives that I have. It flips so well that the day that I received it, my wife took it out of the box before I held it and flipped it easily and she cannot flip any knife!! I really love the Wave!!

I have many of the ZT flippers and these all flip better than all except the 0900 and 0450 which flip really well.

To experience a Reate on a budget, you can't go wrong with a Hills. At the price they sell, they're an incredible value.

If you step up the price a bit more you can reach a Horizon C or D9+. I think I'd suggest the C over the D9+ because it's a little lighter and more pocket friendly.

If you want to max out your budget you can look at the Horizon D (I prefer the CF version if you can find it), the Wave or the Torrent. Also at the top of your budget you can start to consider some of Liong Mah Reates and Todd Begg Reates. I've got a bunch of Reates and love them all, although I still wait for a 3" blade...

Pick a look and style you like and go for it; you won't be disappointed.

Unlike you I am a knife newb, and I ended up choosing the Wave. My other knives are Spyderco's, a Techno and Manbug. The Techno was my EDC for several months until I got the Wave. Still in the honeymoon period, but it's a near perfect EDC for me. I get the whole little big knives thing, but the Techno is somewhat hampered as an EDC task blade for me as it's short and has a thick blade stock, even with a full flat grind. The Wave, while nearly as thick near the pivot, has a longer tapered section towards the last 1/4 of the blade, so it's better suited to tip work. For whatever reason, it also zips through cardboard boxes much better than the Techno. The handle is comfortable and just accommodates my medium sized hand with a four finger grip. The clip has good retention and doesn't cause a hot spot, though I rarely use a knife for more than 5 minutes, so take that for what it's worth. The clip is milled with the same pattern as the scales, and smoothed just as well at the edges. The action is smooth, the lock-up is early but not too early and solid. It still doesn't close as smoothly as I was expecting, but has smoothed out with more use. Fit and finish is very good. The scales have a fine milling that isn't perfect, but as it's so fine it only shows upon close inspection. Everything your hand comes in contact with is smooth, as opposed to the Techno which is just chamfered and can still feel edgy in hand. The titanium inlays are awesome, they look perfect and have held up to EDC use while still looking new. I like that they are on both sides. While unconventional, it allows for a bit more grip, and prevents lockbar overtravel.

So all in all I'm happy with the purchase. I think you'd lose money on a flip, but they seem to be worth the asking price if you plan to hold onto them, and are especially of good value when picked up lightly used. It's been fun to step up the overall quality and experience from my Spyderco's, which are great in and of themselves. I'm looking forward to exploring some other brands, and CRK (no surprise) and Shigorogov have caught my eye lately. I'm a big fan of simple, elegant design, high tolerance machining, and ultimate functionality.

Thank all you guys for your suggestions. Just want to let you know that I picked up a Horizon D CF and I love it. This is my first Reate knife and I can tell the quality of it is at least on par with or even better than ZT (I do have multiple ZTs and their quality is all great).

Congrats on the purchase! I think you made a great choice. Just remember, Reates cause a persistent, burning ache right about where you carry your wallet...

Thanks. Yes it is so true - with the pace I've been spending on knives I guess I will have to sell some of my knives (couple of ZTs and a Hinderer) in order to fund more Reates. I am already eyeing Reate Torrent (I'd choose it over the Wave).

I am already eyeing Reate Torrent (I'd choose it over the Wave).

My Torrents is unsurpassed as far as I'm concerned. So far I have the Torrents, District9B and Event Horizon. My ZT 095 only just compares to my Torrents. Reate really knocked it out of the park with the Torrents, and they have 4 prototypes in Vegas right now with carbon or timascus inlay <shiver>. Not to mention a new model months away that looks AWESOME.

My Torrents is unsurpassed as far as I'm concerned. So far I have the Torrents, District9B and Event Horizon. My ZT 095 only just compares to my Torrents. Reate really knocked it out of the park with the Torrents, and they have 4 prototypes in Vegas right now with carbon or timascus inlay <shiver>. Not to mention a new model months away that looks AWESOME.

What New Model are you talking about?

Btw I'm also trying to decide between ZT095BW and Torrent. First one is cheaper, looks good and suited for daily use, the second one I like a bit more and is classy. Decisions, decisions...

Back