Fishing 2017

I went out January first , to catch the first fish of the year . Went below a dam where there is open water and started bouncing a road runner through the rocks. Didnt take long and I had something hooked . I knew what it was immediately . One of those dam Asian carp . I just calmly held it as it made long runs stripping out line .After about twenty minutes I landed it . i caught two Asian carp and a smallmouth buffalo , all were snagged . so without further ado , my first fish caught in 2017.

Not a terrible way to start the new year, congrats my friend. I've only been out once and I did well but the weather is too nice for this time of year and my favorite spots are seeing much heavier traffic than normal. Most fishermen around here would not agree and I'm not wishing for bad weather but a little cold, snow, and ice would probably help my fishing. Thanks for the first fish pic of the new year:thumbup:

I hit the local lake for the first time two days for 2017. I got 9 Black Crappie and a 20" pickeral. Good start to the new year!

I went out January first , to catch the first fish of the year . Went below a dam where there is open water and started bouncing a road runner through the rocks. Didnt take long and I had something hooked . I knew what it was immediately . One of those dam Asian carp . I just calmly held it as it made long runs stripping out line .After about twenty minutes I landed it . i caught two Asian carp and a smallmouth buffalo , all were snagged . so without further ado , my first fish caught in 2017.

Maybe I'm not looking a clear picture or maybe you've got to study up some more on your fish identifications. What you've got there looks for sure to be a native Channel Cat (genus Ictalurus) and not some GD oversize exotic Goldfish. That it has no scales (ie smooth skin) for sure is the first big hint.

Maybe I'm not looking a clear picture or maybe you've got to study up some more on your fish identifications. What you've got there looks for sure to be a native Channel Cat (genus Ictalurus) and not some GD oversize exotic Goldfish. That it has no scales (ie smooth skin) for sure is the first big hint.

I've never caught an Asain Carp but I have landed more than a few Channel Cats. Every Channel Cat I caught had barbels (whiskers).

Its an invasive Asian carp, the type that jumps out of the water when startled .Ive caught lots of them .

You guys gotta start eating them. Or make them into cat food

You guys gotta start eating them. Or make them into cat food

They dont bite . They are so thick in places , like below this dam , that they are constantly being snagged , which is against the law . I saw a guy put one on a stringer and a game warden made him throw it back . You would think they would just look the other way .

I always wondered if the Zoos had use for them .

I have been lucky enough to get out lots this year so far. Tons of eater walleye from Lake Winnipeg and I got a few pics here of some highlights.

Personal best 20" Brown Trout
74856079-7A43-4C12-A978-E8D34E6CB4AD_zpscz8iexau.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Caught about a dozen cookie cutter Rainbows one morning early January

1BBCB0C0-122F-47F3-9B33-EFB27FEA9DBF_zpssv5rh4nq.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Catching huge, suspended Tulibees through the ice has been a blast this year!

6AC8EA75-51E8-4681-963C-9E5473E766DA_zpsavkdbo0y.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Gotta love these fat little footballs!

2753712A-4699-4984-A6E6-5DE62CC194E0_zps8zjee9fb.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Fat Lake Winnipeg Greenback. 25" Walleye

E1540F38-0165-4369-8BBD-A825A80D7E20_zpsix6miwlx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I got the itch real bad this year. Got over 100 fish under my belt this year and still going hard. Hitting up 3 lakes this weekend lol
Hopefully Huge Rainbows, Browns, Monster Walleyes and Jumbo perch!

Tight Lines folks!

Real nice fish Sullie! That could be the biggest perch I have seen. Walleyes quite impressive too.

I would love to be able to catch yellow perch here . I had one at a restaurant in Iowa and it was superb .

Walleye are in the Perch family. Headed to N Dak, Devils lake, this weekend to chase jumbo perch. Pics to follow.:thumbup:
I would love to be able to catch yellow perch here . I had one at a restaurant in Iowa and it was superb .

I have been lucky enough to get out lots this year so far. Tons of eater walleye from Lake Winnipeg and I got a few pics here of some highlights.

Personal best 20" Brown Trout
74856079-7A43-4C12-A978-E8D34E6CB4AD_zpscz8iexau.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Caught about a dozen cookie cutter Rainbows one morning early January

1BBCB0C0-122F-47F3-9B33-EFB27FEA9DBF_zpssv5rh4nq.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Catching huge, suspended Tulibees through the ice has been a blast this year!

6AC8EA75-51E8-4681-963C-9E5473E766DA_zpsavkdbo0y.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Gotta love these fat little footballs!

2753712A-4699-4984-A6E6-5DE62CC194E0_zps8zjee9fb.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Fat Lake Winnipeg Greenback. 25" Walleye

E1540F38-0165-4369-8BBD-A825A80D7E20_zpsix6miwlx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I got the itch real bad this year. Got over 100 fish under my belt this year and still going hard. Hitting up 3 lakes this weekend lol
Hopefully Huge Rainbows, Browns, Monster Walleyes and Jumbo perch!

Tight Lines folks!

Nice walleye!

Back