Flea Market finds

The last few months I've been going to the big outdoor flea market to rescue old slipjoints, it's fun to treasure hunt for little gems and I feel like I have got some more than fair deals. Feel free to post your flea market, garage sales, or antique store finds.
Here is what I have acquired so far:
Kabar Peanut $8
e6c05a64.jpg

Schrade small stockman $10
2d688839.jpg

And today's finds a Hammer Brand USA with a tang stamp c. 1945-1955 $5
7d2a7b8f.jpg

b1dc15cd.jpg

And I think my best score yet Camillus TL-29 brand new c.1960-1976 $5
ffb8fab3.jpg

198061f2.jpg

Hi Pete!

Wow. Nice finds. All of these treasures are worth the money definitelly. That Schrade stockman and the TL-29 are really nice pieces :)

Kind regards
Andi

I agree, that old Shrade is a real looker. Something about an old, well used and cared for knife with the long pulls on it just makes me smile. A real find. Kind of makes a man wonder what would have possessed a man to let a knife like that go doesn't it?

Will

Very nice! Seems that when I go hit the flea markets and yard sales, the best I can find is junk, overpriced, or both. There was one exception. I got a Red Vic Farmer for $14 or so.

Very nice! Seems that when I go hit the flea markets and yard sales, the best I can find is junk, overpriced, or both.

My typical experience, too. Although one day I did find a couple old ones that I felt were worth bringing home: $14 for a Schrade 8OT and a Camillus 22 Pony Jack.

betterdays2.jpg

I have since passed the Old Timer on to another, but the peanut sized Camillus is still with me.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I think people must get them at estate sales, the TL-29 was brand new had a thick coat of old sticky oil from when it was made, I have to sift through a lot of real junk, and you do get the shady guy that tries to rip you off, last Sunday I found a ulster stockman probably from the late 70's all three blades had play, fake plastic stag scales,thought it would make a good project to fix up, the seller was insisting it was made in Germany and said $65 is a fair price "I know my product", I obviously walked away from that one. The little Schrade is a gem when I got it the original owner used the blades so much they were round with no edge took a long time to bring it back to life but totally worth it. I'm really happy about the TL-29 brand new never used I've found a few that have had missing scales or totally rusted shut, or had serious blade play, I had already bought the Hammer Brand for $5, when I found it, I set a limit of $10 a week on one knife, so when I asked the seller how much and he said $5 I didn't even try and haggel over the price. Generally when they ask $12 or $15 I can get for $10, a lot of times the sellers just want to make a buck, the Schrade had no tag and was mint I thought it would be more, the old timer said give me $10 and it's yours, totally worth it, it's build like a tank. It's a lot of fun to get up early and walk around outside and look through about 200+ vendors, it's hit or miss, most of them get there at 4:30am and they pack up by noon, I can't wait for next Sunday to see what I can find.
When I hit 524 post (married on 5/24/08 ) I will pay it forward with a giveaway, to share the wealth, something cool that I find at the flea market so stay tuned.
-Pete

Last edited:
Amazing finds! Every one is a gem, but I really love that Kabar. Congrats. :)

Half the fun is the journey!! I've already posted my finds so I won't post again. Great finds Pete!!

Very nice! Seems that when I go hit the flea markets and yard sales, the best I can find is junk, overpriced, or both. There was one exception. I got a Red Vic Farmer for $14 or so.

I lost a Red Vic alox farmer in the early 90's it was my favorite, I could only hope it went to someone who enjoyed it as much as I did, and didn't end up in a landfill somewhere.

I lost a Red Vic alox farmer in the early 90's it was my favorite, I could only hope it went to someone who enjoyed it as much as I did, and didn't end up in a landfill somewhere.

I feel your pain. I have lost more knives than I care to remember when I was younger, and I was more worried about where and how the knife was being treated, than I was about not having it. I just can't stand the thought of a knife being mistreated.

Great knives. I get most of my knives from the flea market. Yeah most of the people sellin old knives think they are worth a million bucks. I don't blame em tho, I think tha same of my knives too!

Great find Pete! I love that TL-29 what a great deal!
I sounds like fun going to a flea market and finding hidden gems.

KG

Half the fun is the journey!! I've already posted my finds so I won't post again. Great finds Pete!!

I agree it's fun to search, two months 4 knives and a total of $28 dollars. I like getting them home and cleaning the up.
Before
7d2a7b8f.jpg

And after a good cleaning fixed the bent tip, removal of rust and a new edge.
df6ce23f.jpg

The TL-29 just needed a cleaning of the old goopey oil, the edge is razor sharp still from the factory.
c83817f7.jpg

My first TL-29, halfstops are great on it and the snap is extremely strong. Built like a tank.

Wow...they look brand new. This thread has stoked the flames...Its time for me to go on the hunt again!! A TL-29 has been on my want list for some time.

Wow...they look brand new. This thread has stoked the flames...Its time for me to go on the hunt again!! A TL-29 has been on my want list for some time.

Took me two years to find a good TL-29 but was worth it, I've been going to the flea market on and off for about 7-8 years, looking for musical instruments, resonators, dobros, mandolins, banjos, but all I ever find is junk. I have picked up hand tools on the cheap, chisels, linesmen's and dyke pliers, etc. very cheap a buck or two for five great for and work. If I find another good quality TL-29 I will use it for a giveaway.

I have been bitten by the antique hunting bug for a few years now myself. I really enjoy looking at all the old history. You just never know what you might come across. Its an inexpensive ways to have lots of fun and learn a lot along the way.

I have really been into old books, lately. Especially, Louis Bromfield's books. One of the best authors of the century.

Pete
I thought you would get a kick out of this! Look what dave found at a garage sale...lol The item is at the end of the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH1w86hOrA8&feature=relmfu

Thanks for sharing, what a great score, I'm gonna have to start looking in all the leather cases/ pouches. There was a Schrade leather sheath for a folder I didn't look in last Sunday, I'll check this weekend if it's still there.
-Pete

Some real cool stuff in here. I have to take my car in for an oil change this weekend and a flea market is right up the street. Ill see if there are any hidden gems waiting for me

Back