Flea Market finds

Picked this guy up at an antique shop yesterday. No idea what its worth, but im assuming I got a good deal after haggling down to $10.

Plenty of life lift in this one. Figure it will be my truck knife till I get the guts up to use it as my first re-handle job.........which will probably be a while down the road.

Jim

I went to a gun show, which was actually more like a flea market with some guns. I bought about 5 pounds of beef jerky (plus some elk, venison, and buffalo jerky), and found 3 sweet knives.

The fist one at the top is a Camillus 67 from around the 1960's to 1970's. It has excellent blades and perfect bone.

The second one is an old Kutmaster Barlow with full blades and very nice sawcut bone.

The third one may very well be one of the greatest knife finds I have had to date. It is a 4 line Camillus dating from around 1919 to 1940 with perfect bone, iron bolsters, no rust, and it looks like the blades were never sharpened, or perhaps not even used. It is essentially a new knife with some stains on it.

I friggin love going to gun shows to find knives!

IMG_0214_zps024795a4.jpg

I went to a gun show, which was actually more like a flea market with some guns. I bought about 5 pounds of beef jerky (plus some elk, venison, and buffalo jerky), and found 3 sweet knives.

The fist one at the top is a Camillus 67 from around the 1960's to 1970's. It has excellent blades and perfect bone.

The second one is an old Kutmaster Barlow with full blades and very nice sawcut bone.

The third one may very well be one of the greatest knife finds I have had to date. It is a 4 line Camillus dating from around 1919 to 1940 with perfect bone, iron bolsters, no rust, and it looks like the blades were never sharpened, or perhaps not even used. It is essentially a new knife with some stains on it.

IMG_0214_zps024795a4.jpg

Great finds. I believe the 4 line mark was used during the war years.

Best regards

Robin

That is a Great score dma'65
I too think the Cammy 4 line is a beaut- you will do that knife No harm using 0000 grade steel wool and Mineral oil ( 0000 grade does not shine the blades).
I also just love the Barlow- whew........ That was a great knife day for you!! Well done and thank you for sharing.

They are sweet, for sure! :thumbup::thumbup:
You had a great day, dma :D:D
(I went to a gun & knife show today, too, but came home empty-handed. First time I ever struck out completely at that 4-5-times-per-year show.)

- GT

Picked up this old Western today for $15. Has an excellent patina & is scary sharp. Whoever owned it before took good care of it.

dnkort.jpg

I just got this Remington R75 for $15 dollars at an antique shop on an overnight trip to Maine. Pen blade has factory edge on it, there's a few rust spots but the blade etch is like 100%. I don't have my Guide to Collectors knives on my person, would someone know if this is a desirable Remington? I'm thinking it's from the 30s.

Picked up this old Western today for $15. Has an excellent patina & is scary sharp. Whoever owned it before took good care of it.
The western black beauty's sure are awesome aren't they!
I absolutely love my f48a from the same era as yours ( 68-72 I believe )
With their jet black sheaths and choice of black and aluminum for the handles, it's like they were trying to compete with Buck and sure as hell have them a run for their money. They may not have any as large as the 119 but their cv carbon steel blades are excellent.

dnkort.jpg

I just got this Remington R75 for $15 dollars at an antique shop on an overnight trip to Maine. Pen blade has factory edge on it, there's a few rust spots but the blade etch is like 100%. I don't have my Guide to Collectors knives on my person, would someone know if this is a desirable Remington? I'm thinking it's from the 30s.

That's a good old original remington, nice score.

image.jpeg

Not so much a flee market find as just a general find...
When I was about 10 years old (I'm 24 now) my dad and I were walking down an old cat road hunting black tail on the Oregon cost. It was a quiet, wet, chilly morning... we made it just around the first corner from where we parked the truck and he stopped and pointed at the ground... I was extremely excited to see a USA made Schrade Sharp Finger (didn't know what it was at the time).
At some point I made the mistake of trying to sharpen it with a Dremel so I need to fix that but I still have it, possibly the longest I've owned a knife... brings back a good memory:) the knife and sheath are in almost the exact condition it was in when we found it.
78BC9F06-1347-4EF3-963B-4A09E5AB0B05_zpsvqbz3jqg.jpg

Also this thread has inspired me to go to the antique store today!

Last edited:
So I went to an antique shop today.
Might have over paid a little, I know very little if anything about traditional knives. I have my first "real" traditional on the way (GEC #47 Viper green micarta) and I couldn't wait so I had to get something to play with in the mean time.
This Colonial Forrest Master cost me $15 bucks but I'm liking it so far :)
I'd like to get it rehandled (I know it's a cheap knife but I'm afraid to do it myself and I'd like to hold onto it considering it's the first traditional in my collection so it's got sentimental value to me.
0BB480D8-CE84-4555-8A6B-6DF93D858842_zpsj9bkseuo.jpg

Anyone know a good person to have do my handles? I'd appreciate any suggestions

You might holler at Glennbad, he's a baaaad man (and has a great thread with his work in it if you look around in this section of the forum)

Matt

When I was about 10 years old (I'm 24 now) my dad and I were walking down an old cat road hunting black tail on the Oregon cost. It was a quiet, wet, chilly morning... we made it just around the first corner from where we parked the truck and he stopped and pointed at the ground... I was extremely excited to see a USA made Schrade Sharp Finger (didn't know what it was at the time).
At some point I made the mistake of trying to sharpen it with a Dremel so I need to fix that but I still have it, possibly the longest I've owned a knife... brings back a good memory:) the knife and sheath are in almost the exact condition it was in when we found it.

Nice find. I love the design of that model. I'd find a replacement sheath and carry the knife. Some sellers on the auction site have separated the vintage sheaths from their knives and sell them that way...generates more income for them, I guess. You should have no problems finding one there...just make sure to locate an early sheath with single wrap around strap. I don't believe those are being remade in that style. The ones Taylor Brands use feel more like cardboard than leather, and I'd steer clear from them.

Sharpen it, carry it, use it for it's intended purpose. It's a great tool to have on your side.

Stringplucker Stringplucker
Thanks for the tip, I do use one while hunting, I have 2 of them and my parents have like 4 or 5. Great knife, great design for its intended purpose. I want to use this one but like I said as an uninformed child I tried to sharpen it with a dremel and the edge needs some love. I plan to acquire a wicked edge and will remedy it then but it's too much for a sharpmaker as of yet.

I've got a Lansky system that did a fairly decent job, although due to the shape of the blade, it was a bit interesting to get it clamped in. I ended up with an edge that will shave, though, which is all I was looking for.

Not a flea market, but I was recently visiting my Dad and we were in his basement / shop, which is better than a flea market. He casually mentioned, "I found a couple of old pocket knives if you want them." He knew what response that would get!

In an old cigar box full of keys, there were two smallish knives, one a "well-loved" Western 292, with the blades almost sharpened away. The other was a Case 6269 9-dot (1971) Half Congress in red bone.

IMG_1113_zpszzzdtweu.jpg

He had no idea where the cigar box came from and I never saw these knives while I was growing up, so I know they were not Dad's. He is 89, but his memory is still sharp, and he would remember if he had seen them before. Best guess is they once belonged to my sister's father-in-law, as when he died many years ago, some of his tools and such were given to my dad.

C0D54CF3-13EC-4233-84E7-F592BC3068E4_zpsjz1ghzlh.jpg

The Case cleaned up nicely! There is some spotting on the stainless blades that won't come off and the edge is non-existent, but once sharpened up, it will definitely go into my carry rotation.

The Western I'll just keep as a curiosity.

Any chance your dad planted (threw) it there, to add to the elements of wonder and intrigue?

Back