Fleming Folder!

Jarrett Fleming

Here is the project that I have been working on. I've been wanting to learn how to make folders for quite a while now, and I finally decided to just go ahead and give it a shot. I went with a frame lock for my first build since that is what I prefer to carry. A mill would have made things a lot quicker and easier, but I still got the job done. I'm really satisfied with how this knife turned out. Let me know what y'all think!

It looks highly functional and comfortable. I like the no nonsense finish too. That gonna make someone a fantastic user. What steel are you using?

I'm holding on to this one since its the first one I've made, and I decided to go with CPMD2. Once I start making more of these I will be using CPM154 as well, and possibly some other steels later on down the road.

Not a ton of D2 out there, it's one of my personal favorites. Great job on your first build! You have real talent.

Cool project Jarrett. I like the overall pattern of the knife. The dark gray finish looks very practical. It looks like it will develop some nice character after it has some pocket wear. The only detail that catches my eye as being less than your perfect standards is the short leg of the liner lock cut-out in the handle scale. What tool(s) did you use to cut the slots? I imagine that the big manufacturers use wire EDM or water jet for cutting those slots. I am curious how you do those cuts in a one man shop.

Great job on your first go at making a folder. I look forward to seeing where you go from here. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Phil

I used a dremel cutoff wheel in the drill press. It's the only thing I had to do the job. On the next one I'm going to drill a hole at the corner so those little legs won't be there.
A lot of makers have their frames cut out by a water jet and I may decide to go that route if I start making many of these at least until I get a mill.

Yes I think as a first try it is a great job. The pattern is nice as well as blade shape. I think the tactical frame lock market must be the most saturated that there is and quite honestly it is super hard to stand out, especially with a Blasted or Stonewashed Ti frame and Acid Etched Blade. So you have that going for you ..... :)

From what I have seen with your current work once you get whatever it is dialed in I bet you will make some great folders and then of course need a million dollars worth of additional equipment.

This will be great to watch develop. Keep us posted.

Congrats Jarrett.......I'll expect to see a JF folder come out of your pocket next time we break bread.

Thanks guys I still have a lot to learn. It will probably be a while before I have any that I feel are worthy of selling. Folders are a whole different world from fixed blades so many things can go wrong after you've already put countless hours of work into one. I'm satisfied with how it turned out for my first though.
I'll definitely have one to show you Peter!

I want one! Are you going to be doing other blade profiles?

Very nice Jarrett. I saw the IG post. All the mechanics look good on the video. Keep up the good work sir.

Preston

Very Nicely done Jarrett. I like the smooth contours and dark finish. A real pocket knife. I appreciate all the fancied up beauties out there but I really like a quality user. I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your folders.

I am on your list for fixed blade. I might as well get on the folder list too if I can.
I do prefer any type of lockup other than the frame lock, purely for the esthetics. I just cannot learn to like the frame lock.
Just food for thought for you.
Good luck.

I am on your list for fixed blade. I might as well get on the folder list too if I can.
I do prefer any type of lockup other than the frame lock, purely for the esthetics. I just cannot learn to like the frame lock.
Just food for thought for you.
Good luck.

Hmmm is there a wait list to get on? Sorry for the ignorance I'm new to this particular subforum although I have purchased a couple of Jarretts blades.

Back