Florida Knifes Laws for Minors

Hi. I'm 15 almost 16 and my boyfriend wants me to be protected to he is buying me a Blue 6.5" Tac Force Tactical Karambit pocket knife. My mom however is against the idea because she believes I'm dumb enough to take it to school or that I will stab someone even though I already told her that he just wants me to have some form of self defense along with him teaching me to use it and how to fight. Can somebody explain to me the laws for minors? Thank you.

jc57 provided the proper source documentation. Here's the lay-person explanation:
There are no specific laws regarding knives that apply to minors. You follow the same rules that everyone else does. There are two exceptions: Local ordinances, and the right of a store to refuse selling to a minor.

It is legal to carry most knives openly, but illegal to carry any knife other than a "common pocket knife" concealed. What is a common pocket knife? While no definition is provided in the statute, case law has established that it's a folding knife that isn't overtly weapon like. Thus it should have a blade less than 4" and not have a bunch of "tactical" features. The knife you mentioned may actually run afoul of that, since it's appearance suggests it is intended to be a weapon. A knife can also cross over into illegal if it is used or carried during the commission of a crime.

In general, knives are not good self-defense weapons. They do have their place and they can be effective in narrow circumstances, but only when carried correctly so that it is readily accessible under stress, by someone with some reasonable understanding of not only how to use one, but an understanding of how self-defense law works. That is, that use of a knife is a considered deadly force, and therefore will be considered excessive force/aggravated assault if used inappropriately (for example against an attacker who is unarmed and/or when there is an avenue of escape).

Hi Melliina. I'll address you the same as if you came in my office with the same question. You are a minor and you need to follow the directions of your parents until you become of age. It would be remiss for me to advise you when I'm not your parent. The best advice I would give you is to speak to your mother about it.

Back