Forged In Fire joke

Any suggestions to explain how I created this pattern then?

33229629825_19be384f18_k.jpg
[/url]IMG_0883 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr[/IMG]

That's obviously Valerian damascus. A variation of the canoe damascus method. You used an open face canister and wavy lines of the different alloy to create a water like pattern. You inspired George R R Martin with your work in this area. If he doesn't buy that then it was shakra and essential oils.

My favorites are when they talk trash about a maker based on his showing. I think it was in the episode Salem was in, there is a guy who is a master smith. Ive seen his damascus and it is bordering on unreal, but he did really poorly, i think he used his time to make a damascus billet. One of my friends said he could make a better knife than him! I then looked the guy up and asked if he could match that....

That's when you ask them to put up or shut up. Heck, I'd even give him 3 days instead of 3 hours and see what he comes up with.

O its lots of fun. I'm a college student studying metallurgy "Im also a knife maker for 4 or so odd years" and some friends of mine watch FIF. I have heard all sorts of stuff

"should have made his sword from tamahagane so it can never break"

"Why arent they tempering in water" "confusing tempering with quenching"

My favorites are when they talk trash about a maker based on his showing. I think it was in the episode Salem was in, there is a guy who is a master smith. Ive seen his damascus and it is bordering on unreal, but he did really poorly, i think he used his time to make a damascus billet. One of my friends said he could make a better knife than him! I then looked the guy up and asked if he could match that....
Bad things can happen to the best of us, it just happens that sometimes it happens during the show. JD has been on there twice now. He didn't do that well but it sure as heck isn't because he dosnt know what hes doing. Hes one of the best pattern welders out there, period. His stuff is museum quality but his style just dosnt do well in a time constrained atmosphere. Lots of other very good makers have had bad things happen to. In all honesty the best bladesmith does not always win just like the best team dosnt always win..thats just part of it.

I got rid of cable years ago, but I get asked if I watch the show so many times it's unreal. I'm glad the show gets people interested in the craft, watching me hand sand for three hours sure ain't gonna do that.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk

That's obviously Valerian damascus. A variation of the canoe damascus method. You used an open face canister and wavy lines of the different alloy to create a water like pattern. You inspired George R R Martin with your work in this area. If he doesn't buy that then it was shakra and essential oils.

I have to be a little bit scientific, since he is an engineer, specializing in corrosion in oil pipelines, lol!!!

:confused::eek::D:cool:;)

It would be a hell of a pattern to duplicate though....

I definitely dig the show even if they have some cliche reality TV issues. Definite positive for the industry that's for sure. Their casting agency contacted me before the first season and I thought "oh sweet, a knife show, that'd be cool if the show takes off!" and had no idea what would become of it! Crazy its gotten this popular. They should have researched me a bit more though as I never forged a blade haha.

I have to be a little bit scientific, since he is an engineer, specializing in corrosion in oil pipelines, lol!!!

:confused::eek::D:cool:;)

Tell him it's because you quenched it in the blood of a virgin goat. I've known engineers and chemists to be impressed by that story....

As far as reality TV shows go, probably the classiest. They call the name of the 'losers' in the early rounds 100% of the time and they call the winners in the end just the same; none of that name-switch nonsense or judge/host trickery with name announcements. I don't have a problem with car-part episodes and don't find it too gimmicky - aren't leaf springs and ball bearings popular choices anyway?

This is hilarious...
I applied to the show did the Skype interview filled out the paperwork .. ba kground check paperwork etc. Told I'd hear somthing after the holidays, time went by nothing so I emailed the producer 3 times ..nothing. so finally sent a email letting them know to withdraw me as I have better things to do than sit around waiting for them,,to be professional Atleast to reply to an email letting me know somthing ,either no , or we are still waiting. I told them I wouldn't attend even if I was guaranteed of winning the show.

Typical

If you removed the "will it cut, will kill ?" martial aspect , then you've got no show . That what drives the whole motivation and vital interest
and provides a meaning criteria for why one blade is superior to another .

Almost anyone can appreciate that if your weapon fails in battle ... well that's pretty dramatic .

Alternatively , make a show about butter knives and letter openers , called" will it spread, will it tear envelopes ?" Put it on the "women's network" .

Many people just don't know. I became hooked on forging after watching the show. There are so many confusing things they do to those not in the know. Why does it flame up in the quench? Why do the blades catch on fire when dropped on the floor? Why are those guys sweating soo much? Why do the forge ends face each other? Haha I was real nervous the first time I quenched a blade. I was worried the flames would scorch the insulation on my overhead door 15 feet above me. Now I just laugh and chalk most of those thoughts up to pure inexperience. I do still love the show though.

They call the name of the 'losers' in the early rounds 100% of the time and they call the winners in the end just the same; none of that name-switch nonsense or judge/host trickery with name announcements.

what do you mean ?

He means that they never switch the order. First two rounds they always name the person leaving, last round they always name the winner. They don't swap one week and say "bill............... You're NOT the forged in fire champion" for a cheap thrill.

If you compare the FIF series to the Nova episode "Secrets of the Viking Sword " ...well, though that's not commercial programing , it's PBS . So support PBS or don't carp .

Compared to most other commercial stuff like "reality shows " and " Ridiculousness" ( a show based on video clips of stupid ) , The FIF is pure education genesis !

Well, for me it's as simple as this...

If I have idle time in front of the idiot tube...

The Voice or Forged in Fire?

are you kidding me?

hands down I take the show about blades, be it real, fake, scripted, or animated-- no contest....

btw, when they take a bowie to a ballistic gel dummy on FiF I like to imagine it's Adam Levine they're disemboweling....;):thumbup::D

Back