Forged In Fire joke

Yea, I was sure pulling for JD - he just seemed to be really knowledgeable, but was trying for that "special" - and the first round doesn't need anything special, just functional.

kuraki: I was thinking you were a fan of FiF, but had forgot some other program. Don't watch them much - they seem to much like Orange County Choppers - not much function, but LOTS of "created drama".

Ken H>

Ken H>

Yes

I really wished that old black fellow with the damascus and the broken camel bone handle would have at least wrapped a shoelace around it and got it tested.
I've seen JD's work and it's amazing. I was really wanting to see something from his home shop but when I saw him pick camel bone I feared the worst

For the folks wondering about handle material choices... it's a reasonable point. However, that shelf is FULL of weird stuff, mostly scales, odd sized pieces, stuff that you can't really tell what it is, some decent burl blocks, and some phenolic but not that block of good canvas you want to be able to find quickly!
I'd have preferred all phenolic likely had a nice chunk presented itself, but gravitated to a comfortable choice that I knew would not be challenging to work with given the time constraints and annoying bits/drill press. Worked out fine the first time, second time the burl was too weak, although a through tang would likely have supported it adequately.

Oh, and the second episode I was on, for the second round they sprung a surprise on us... we had to use two different materials in our handle as well as etch a design on the blade. Not a huge deal, but changed my design choice from probably a block of micarta to a wood block with micarta up front!

For the folks wondering about handle material choices... it's a reasonable point. However, that shelf is FULL of weird stuff, mostly scales, odd sized pieces, stuff that you can't really tell what it is, some decent burl blocks, and some phenolic but not that block of good canvas you want to be able to find quickly!
I'd have preferred all phenolic likely had a nice chunk presented itself, but gravitated to a comfortable choice that I knew would not be challenging to work with given the time constraints and annoying bits/drill press. Worked out fine the first time, second time the burl was too weak, although a through tang would likely have supported it adequately.

Oh, and the second episode I was on, for the second round they sprung a surprise on us... we had to use two different materials in our handle as well as etch a design on the blade. Not a huge deal, but changed my design choice from probably a block of micarta to a wood block with micarta up front!

Two episodes ?

I missed something

Which ones ?

I love the show, It is what sparked an interest in making knives for me. It was never something that I thought of until the first episode. Of coarse I knew that there was a lot more to it than what they show on TV. I fell in love with the idea of knife making after researching more and realizing that there are skilled craftsmen creating knives that are functional works of art. Most TV and most of the in your face internet exist for entertainment not for facts. But I am certainly glad they made the show, other wise I still would be blind to the amazing world of bladesmithing.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Sparking interest in knives in general is good. My concern with the show is it seems to not drive home the point that knives are tools. They drive home the point for the anti knife crowd that knives are weapons. That's not good.

Sparking interest in knives in general is good. My concern with the show is it seems to not drive home the point that knives are tools. They drive home the point for the anti knife crowd that knives are weapons. That's not good.

On the other hand, I know quite a few "anti-knife" people who are now looking at knives as art instead of just as weapons because of the show, despite the focus on weapons.

Yes

I really wished that old black fellow with the damascus and the broken camel bone handle would have at least wrapped a shoelace around it and got it tested.
JD is as good, or better than any maker that's been on the show. He's just not cut out for this type of competition it seems.

JD is as good, or better than any maker that's been on the show. He's just not cut out for this type of competition it seems.

I've seen his name and work a few times, I was hoping he would get to the home shop round and we could see some treasure tips in the background.

Some of JD's work... I'm astounded when I meet folks in the knife world who aren't aware of him.

SmithJD_15-ww.jpg

67f5a8d7fd64cfef261a484bcd9f3e30.jpg

JDSmithPearlfolder.png

I've seen his name and work a few times, I was hoping he would get to the home shop round and we could see some treasure tips in the background.

I was sure looking forward to seeing JD in his own shop. I would have lost money if I'd have bet on this one.:D

I've met JD at shows, and he came to Ashokan once and did some demos - as nice and unassuming a guy as you will ever meet, and a fantastic smith...and artist :thumbup:

Don had it exactly right - this type of "competition" just isn't in JD's wheelhouse - he's the kinda guy that has a vision in his head and works toward it at his own pace.

FIF definitely has its limitations, but it is still fun to watch, especially for those who don't know a lot about bladesmithing...

that said, I've about had it with "It weel Keel" :D

Bill

I was amazed to see so many folks didn't know who JD was..Hes been a staple in the high end bladesmithing world for years.Especially concerning pattern welded steel and carved intricate work.

I wasn't aware of JD's work before the show, and honestly almost missed that he is a Master Smith. When you see him work, even with just the few short scenes he was given, there's no question of the skill, but the guy is definitely humble and obviously didn't feel the need to throw his credentials around. Somewhat of a contrast between another M.S. that was recently on, who seemed to work in his M.S. title or 30 some odd years of experience in just about every scene. :D

I find the show ENTERTAINING!!! And isn't that what Tv's all about? Sure the shows got its flaws and drama but give me a show that doesn't! It sparks interest in knife making! It's one of the things that got me interested in knife making! And I love watching the show for design ideas and to see how I might improve a design! Gets the ol brain going!

Daniel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I for one love the whole aspect of the show. It inspired me to look into bladesmithing.

I've always been a fan of sharp pointy things, but honestly probably wouldn't have ever gotten around to trying my hand at making them without the show.

I've always thought that the skill and artistry displayed by all the smiths was the closest to real magic that I've ever seen. Being able to take a piece of front loader bucket, mishmashed car parts, or whatever the hell else is thrown at you, and make it into a usable knife takes some serious skill, and I salute all the smiths, past, present, and future who take on this challenge.

Last edited:
Keep in mind it is no more "a joke" than any other reality-style TV show. Years ago I applied to be a shooter/competitor for the show Top Shot. I wasn't selected, but did get to talk to several of the shows mentors and previous competitors. What is seen during the aired episodes is only about 30% of what actually happens, and obviously they are going for ratings, so what is aired is the conflict and individual confrontations/failures.

Wil, from Forged in Fire, is a friend of mine and the premise for the show is exactly what JT said, what can an individual competitor accomplish with materials on hand, how innovative can an artisan be and how will they handle a set specification that is usually outside their comfort level.

How do you know Wil?

I've met JD at shows, and he came to Ashokan once and did some demos - as nice and unassuming a guy as you will ever meet, and a fantastic smith...and artist :thumbup:

Don had it exactly right - this type of "competition" just isn't in JD's wheelhouse - he's the kinda guy that has a vision in his head and works toward it at his own pace.

FIF definitely has its limitations, but it is still fun to watch, especially for those who don't know a lot about bladesmithing...

that said, I've about had it with "It weel Keel" :D

Bill

I have an issue with that it will kill part as well. To me it just adds fuel to the anti knife crowds fire and they don't need help.

Back