Forged In Fire

Thanks, guys!

This is the last of my FiF stuff. It's dominated my week, but now I need to get back to working on Blade Show inventory.

A washed-out look at the push knives I did for the first challenge. They can actually be seen better in the reflections.

33376879763_a0a4072c2d_c.jpg

The katzbalger in its hideous glory:

33786898000_42ce3e27df_c.jpg

My second take on the guard. Didn't like how the first one fit, so abandoned it before I finished out the quillions.

33786901840_5b08d7fe43_c.jpg

And my second take on the handle since I ground through the side into the channel for the tang on the last day. So many things had to be done several times on this that I named it "der doppleschwert". :D The pommel was forged from a piece of pipe with the end cap oxy/acetylene welded on. The TeroTuf of the handle fits down into the pommel and the flared tube rivet goes through pommel, TeroTuf, and tang.

34171484295_fdcd5b973d_c.jpg

And finally, a YouTube video featuring myself and fellow FiF champion Tobin Nieto (season 2, episode 8, Cutlass) reflecting on the show, our experiences with it, and answering common questions and criticisms. It's as long as an episode of FiF, but I think it's both entertaining and informative.

Thanks for the photos! I see tonight on the History Channel (at least in my area Washington State) they will broadcast the Katzblager show starting at 11PM. John

This is a show I watch (after I DVR it of course) with my 5 year old. He loves it and pretends he is one of the competitors using a foam pirate sword and plastic hammer he has.

I missed the premier, but caught it last night 'on demand' on my Cable provider.

James: You were methodical and correct. Good for you! Good to watch.

(I had to laugh out loud at the other smith from AK: "The world is my urinal..." LOL!)

Now in French tv , forged in fire "le meilleur forgeron" with JD Smith , i am very happy see a great Knimaker at work ...

:eek:Small mistake, but nothing serious .

Congrats on the win James. I tried watching, but some how my refordmy got messed up. Only recorded from the bullet cut to the end.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on the show.

I do feel like many of the swords what bend, and break, or won't cut are from blown cuts slapping the target with the flat of the blade. It is one of the benefits of having slow motion.

I'm glad you had success. Every show with a blade forum member I turn to my family and say " I know him! I know him!" (From Bladeforums!)

I finally got around to watch the show. Congrats to James and all the other winners. I would't have expected you to be so young James since I've been watching your work for years.

Overall, this is a pretty good show. Like any "reality" show, it has so many annoying format elements (the drama, the cliffhangers, the repeat of the cliffhangers you just saw 5 seconds ago after the commercial break when you don't even have commercials, etc). I do like that the smiths respect, encourage, and even help each other. I typically avoid "reality'" TV because it focuses too much on drama and animosity. Even a fun show like "Top Shot" had too much of that nonsense. Most reality shows purposely cast people they know will clash with others to force drama since they can't (well, maybe sometimes they do) script it. I like that there's none of that here.

One thing I can't help but mention is the host's hair. Either he's got it in a man bun or he looks like a poodle. He seems like a good enough guy - former special forces and all - but good god, that hair. I'm surprised the producers went along with that. Maybe they're afraid he'll kick their asses.

Haven't seen the latest episode (Makraka) yet.

One thing I can't help but mention is the host's hair. Either he's got it in a man bun or he looks like a poodle. He seems like a good enough guy - former special forces and all - but good god, that hair. I'm surprised the producers went along with that. Maybe they're afraid he'll kick their asses.

Haven't seen the latest episode (Makraka) yet.

lol I thought the same thing.
I was wondering if they got extra points for not laughing at his perm.

Anyone else having trouble with DVR recordings for this show? I have Dish Network and for the last month or so this show will not record. Luckily the Deeper Cut edition records fine.

Wormil,

My DVR didn't pick up the latest "Viewer's Choice" episode and I don't know if there's been another one aired since James' episode. I was able to watch the "Viewer's Choice" episode on demand and it was one of the tightest final races yet (as far as testing goes). It was another FUN episode with unexpected eliminations, cowboy whoop's, hot coffee and upset aunties.

Hope we didn't miss a regular episode though due to a technical problem with the hopper.

Stump

I don't understand why they don't turn the forges about 10 or 15 degrees, so they won't all be lined up blasting heat toward the center. Those two middle guys are getting baked from both sides and it's always a middle guy that overheats and has to step out for a few minutes. Seems unfair.

Had a couple guys out yesterday from the electric co-op to see about a tree over the elec line. Asked what we did in the shop, I said make knives. Dude says "like Forged in Fire" I said well not exactly, but we do make knives. This turned into a one hour shop tour and a good visit. They love the show!

I had a similar experience a while back when we had a bunch of fire fighters out here for a controlled burn. Led to a shop tour and they also love the show.

My son, Kyle also has had a couple same experiences when asked what he does. One lady at the hospital said she Loves the show and got all excited with him. lol

This is great for the world of custom knives!

Back