Front Pocket Briefcase

Funny to find a saddleback sub forum here! So I received a thin front pocket briefcase ("FPB") in tobacco for christmas. However, I decided to exchange it for the standard size FPB - the thin just didn't provide enough space for my laptop (15" MBP), documents and other random items. Tobacco is amazing and, if i get a duffle, I'm pretty sure it'll be in this color. However, I switched to chestnut since I'll be using this bag in the office and courtroom. The chestnut bag should be arriving this friday. Unfortunately, I'm left a bit torn since I also the dark coffee brown. Does anyone have any products in both colors for comparison?

I know we love the pictures, so here are a couple of the thin FPB in coffee:

11699517766_0f30c2fde3_c.jpg

11698761775_88cf76dc69_b.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments. I actually exchanged that briefcase for one that just arrived. This is a chestnut, standard size Front Pocket Brief. This size is much better for my needs: seems to provide ample room for laptop and various other stuff (large books, clothing, water bottle, lunch, etc.). It also has pockets on the sides to stuff an umbrella.

11825736465_08fcb56d18_c.jpg

11826166784_bdd57bfd66_c.jpg

This bag looks perfect for me. I have a large satchel, which is a great bag, but it's just not big enough for my 15" Mac. Unfortunately, the FPB is not in stock so I'm going to have to wait.....

This bag looks perfect for me. I have a large satchel, which is a great bag, but it's just not big enough for my 15" Mac. Unfortunately, the FPB is not in stock so I'm going to have to wait.....

I too have a large satchel, and after seeing this ordered one. It appears to be a ideal size, falling between the large satche and large classic briefcase.

I too have a large satchel, and after seeing this ordered one. It appears to be a ideal size, falling between the large satche and large classic briefcase.

Yes, I see that the FPB is back in stock. I'm definitely going to pick one up.

Snazzy... where does your blade go? I used to pack a CS Master Tanto in my briefcase before I retired.

hey guys...

I am having hard time deciding on whether to get a Front Pocket Briefcase or Classic large Briefcase..

let me explain... I was practically 1 click away from ordering my preferred Front pocket Briefcase few times, but I keep postponing it since i am afraid it is too narrow.. my laptop is 14,84", the inner measurement of Front pocket Briefcase (FPB) is 14,5" and the Classic Large Briefcase is 15,5" ..

the official site says that the FPB fits 15" MacBook pro (which is to my information 14,13"), I contacted them but they replied they don't have the briefcases lying around and can not check, they can only assume "it'd maybe fit snuggly"

so the question that is "EATING ME ALIIIIIVE" (read this caps in a dramatically movie mode :D) is if my laptop (14,84") would fit in the FPB (14,5"), I know it might ... (and am sure that it'd fit in a large classic briefcase since it can hold the 17" MBP, that is cca 15,35" wide)

... is there any good samaritan that would take some time and actually measure, test if the FPB can be used for my kind of sized laptop, maybe with a piece of wood that fits these width (as said few times, 14,84", so we are talking cca 1 cm / 0,35" over, laptops measures are.. 14,84 x 9,72 x 1,06 -inches)

the reason I'm linking the FPB over large classic is that I think the latter might be to bulky for me, and that I don't really need all that space (not counting the laptop) .. the large classic briefcase measures are : 15,50 x 11,50 x 8,50 inches

Last edited:
I think you really get the same amount of space because the classic has pockets on the inside which take up room. On the FPB, the pockets are on the outside so you don't lose any inside room.

unwisefool thanks :)... I wrote them again and got their answer where the lady said that the laptop with this specs "will definitely fit in the Front Pocket Briefcase, it will just be snug. But shouldn't be a problem at all. It's just going to push the side walls out fully, but should look and function fine." .. so I'm going for it :) .. thanks for the help :)

I will take measurements....

The laptop compartment is 14.5"

My MPB fits very snuggly.... However, I think your larger laptop could fit if you stuff it in there. It's leather, so it will stretch. You should just get a MPB.

I've had two TFP bags. Both great first one stolen with my Mac Air. So laptops definitly fit!

I have had mine about 4 months also, but it is the regular model not the thin. I do like the front pockets and slot behind them, which is good to stick a little at a glance calendar/organizer. The cigar pocket is good for an extra pen, mechanical pencil and I keep a nail file there as my fingernails are brittle and crack easily and I can touch the up with the file easily. Had the thin been available I might have gone that route, but it came out just after I ordered mine.

What I actually would like to see, is a large satchel, which has more of a squared body than the briefcase, with the front pockets and cigar slot added.

hey guys...

I am having hard time deciding on whether to get a Large Front Pocket Briefcase or Large Classic Briefcase..

Hi All,

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, however I am looking for my ultimate bug out bag to last me my lifetime. Not a bag, but THE bag. A bag for everything, the office, weekend travel (I travel light) and for camping and hunting.

I am requesting some help with a few things with regards to carrying capacity and ability of these bags from those experienced with them. As quoted above I am not sure whether to go for the Large Front Pocket Briefcase or the Large Classic Briefcase from Saddle Back Leather (SBL). My biggest dilemma is I am not sure if the Large Front Pocket Briefcase will be big enough for short business trips 2-3days max?

I calculated the capacity of my older bag which held about 17litres. The biggest problem I had with that bag is that on business trips away I wished it could sometimes fit an extra pair of shoes once I filled it. It couldn't.

I contacted the SBL company by email and asked for capacities on the bags. They were extremely helpful and polite and wrote back; Large Front Pocket Briefcase 21.12litres; and Large Classic Briefcase 24.83litres. However, I have read two reviewers state that they find the Large Front Pocket Briefcase to be more roomy, as the Large Classic Briefcase has two large internal pockets that protrude into the main compartments, thereby taking up a lot of space.

Whether this is really just a feeling they get or its actual I would really like to know. I would love to hear from someone with experience of these two large bags, and I stress the large bags, because I think the Large Front Pocket Briefcase was not available earlier on, but added to the range at a later date.

The other thing I considered being an outdoorsman and traveller was carrying ability. I noticed the Large Classic Briefcase has two straps which can be used to secure things a-top and below the bag (sleeping bags, tents, axe, tri-pod for example). However the Large Front Pocket Briefcase only has one main strap. Given both bags also have upper and lower D-ring anchor points do people think the fact that the Front Pocket Briefcase only has one main strap, that this limits its external carrying ability at all?

Lastly given I will use the bag so universally and that the Large Front Pocket Briefcase only has one main strap will this put stress on it or make the carrying experience sloppy or unstable if the bag is heavy?

Sorry to delve into the intricacies here, but given the price I just want to choose the right bag for me. Cheers, and thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:
Having only one strap will not make the Front Pocket Briefcase sloppy or unstable. I carry a medium Classic Briefcase to work every day, and I only fasten the middle buckle, and it holds the bag stably and securely closed with no wobbling around.

The two extra straps on the Classic Briefcases do allow you to attach more stuff to the bag if you need to carry more than will fit inside.

If you're looking for a bug out bag to handle camping and hunting, then you need a backpack. There is no way that a briefcase could ever make a good bug out bag. You need something to distribute weight evenly on 2 shoulders, hands free, so you can move, be balanced, and use both your hands. Running and climbing with a briefcase over your shoulder is really not the best plan. The weight will get to you too, after a few hours or a few miles.

Back