Game of Thrones

SPOILERS AHEAD!

At this point the series has deviated quite a bit from the books. I'm fine with that. What makes for a good narrative in books that are several hundred of pages each doesn't necessarily make for a good TV show. There over 1000 named characters in the books (so far). But in a TV show, people just want to see familiar faces and characters they love or hate or love to hate. Besides, it's not like GRRM isn't involved in the TV series. He's there, making decisions, approving choices, offering suggestions, etc.

As for Jon Snow...the Red Priestess just happened to show up at Castle Black before Jon Snow got stabbed up. I don't know if this happens in the book, but it's a suspicious coincidence in the show. That the show didn't mention the resurrection of Catelyn Stark by the Lord Of Light is odd too, so maybe they intend to give that storyline to Jon Snow. I don't think this is a stretch, considering the other considerable liberties and changes that have been made so far.

Me, I just want to see Hodor again.

I really haven't figured out all the characters yet, but after that a**h**e burned his daughter at the stake, I was happy to see him get his head cut off.

That was brutal. Though, we didn't actually see him (Stannis) get offed by Brienne of Tarth (the tall "warrior" woman).

Stannis won't be back, but will The Hound?

Well, we really didn't see the Hound die, did we????:confused:

Frankly, I think I may be loosing interest in GOT's. I was a huge fan, but they do keep on killing off sooo many of the characters and then the long wait in between seasons, I'm fading a little.

I'm not quite at the point where I'm rooting for Arya to learn to be the best assassin produced and then poison everyone, but I'm getting there. Maybe Bronn will help her along with the dirty work! Of course if the Hound is still alive, he's gonna be super pissed at being left for dead, right? That could get ugly.

The fan theories are wild. I've only seen the first season, but I have a real problem with reading spoilers. I already knew Snow was getting stabbed, several years ago, from reading spoilers in the books. I'm guessing the books are done for now, so Martin can put all his energy into the show.

Possible spoilers but fan theories really...

Some of the best fan theories I've read are that the white walker king is actually the Night King from millenia before, when the wall was built, he was the original King on the wall. Also, Snow is brought back not as a wight, but as a white walker destined to become the new Night King, and calls the giant ice dragon forth that is hibernating underneath the wall. Also that he warged into his wolf. Martin has written about ice dragons, and about how they destroyed the fire breathing dragons. I like the European/Chinese dynasty aspect of it, and the historical view, but what I really enjoy are the Tolkien inspired battles. Mastodons, ice zombies from the north. Very Norse like in it's mythology.

There are some wild fan theories out there. Supposedly Danys and Snow are kin, half brother/sister, and fight each other with their armies of the north and the south, ice dragons and regular dragons. IE A Song of Ice and Fire.

What gets me is that Martin has said that the white walkers aren't really evil, they're just a part of nature. It would seem to me that Westeros should be a cold planet, and that the people of Westeros are unwanted party crashers. Maybe offworld party crashers?

Part theory and guesses but I believe Jon is really Ned's sisters son and his dad is Rhaegar so that would make Jon the nephew of Daenerys. Melisandre bringing Jon back and he hooks up with Daenerys to defeat the white walkers. Fire and Ice, Jon part Stark so the ice and Daenerys Mother of Dragons so the fire.

Part theory and guesses but I believe Jon is really Ned's sisters son and his dad is Rhaegar so that would make Jon the nephew of Daenerys. Melisandre bringing Jon back and he hooks up with Daenerys to defeat the white walkers. Fire and Ice, Jon part Stark so the ice and Daenerys Mother of Dragons so the fire.

I like that better, maybe the Fire and Ice could be Dany and Jon vs the White Walkers.

...Or Dany and Bran Stark....they both have strong supernatural powers.

n2s

Apparently in the books, there's a lot of foreshadowing that John will come back. Whether it actually happens in the book or the show is an unknown. But that same foreshadowing also references some prophecy about a three-headed dragon. Well, we've got three dragons. And there's a theory that the three heads will be Dany, Bran, and John Snow. There's a guy who sums up a lot of these theories on YouTube in a pretty excellent way. He goes by the name Alt Shift X.

I also admit, that watching former Bond girl Diana Riggs return to TV has been a guilty pleasure. I was a big fan of the original Avengers and even 50 years on she still commands every scene that she is in....a worthy sendoff to a truly great actress.

maxresdefault.jpg

AR-AI160_RIGG_FR_20141218105207.jpg

off topic Patrick Macnee is gone, age 93

off topic Patrick Macnee is gone, age 93

He was very impressive in that series. He played a gentleman psychopath very convincingly. Loyal, pleasant and patriotic, but just about every guest star ended up dead by his hand or umbrella. I always thought Emma (a psychiatrist by profession) was there as his minder. A very cool spy vs. spy series.

opening theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeK3Lkd_XL4

n2s

He was very impressive in that series. He played a gentleman psychopath very convincingly. Loyal, pleasant and patriotic, but just about every guest star ended up dead by his hand or umbrella. I always thought Emma (a psychiatrist by profession) was there as his minder. A very cool spy vs. spy series.

opening theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeK3Lkd_XL4

n2s

n2s, I really never thought about it that way. Yes, looking back, Steed did manage to kill just about every bad guy on the show, with a little help from Mrs. Peel. It seemed that Mrs. Peel showed up in the nick of time to "rescue" Steed by shooting the bad guy now and then. Your theory about the shrink minder is interesting.

Great season so far. Theyre doing a good job taking the characters down unknown and interesting paths while incorporating a few plot points from the books that have been left out of the show previously.

Cool, but Ian McShane didn't last long. I'll have to watch it again. I don't remember him saying f*** even once.

That's for sure. (Unless they zombify him.) But I think he may have managed to drop an f bomb or 2.

You wait 18 months to criticise someone's opinion. Oh well done.
For me the best part is the mix of scheming & brute force.

Back