Geber's new Center Drive

Has anyone seen the new videos Gerber put out for the center drive? The big sale is the long bit driver that uses what they call "standard" (probably 1/4") bits and is bent inwards toward the center of the tool to make using it easier. It seems like it could be nice but I can't tell if the driver arm is plastic or metal.

Has anyone seen the new videos Gerber put out for the center drive? The big sale is the long bit driver that uses what they call "standard" (probably 1/4") bits and is bent inwards toward the center of the tool to make using it easier. It seems like it could be nice but I can't tell if the driver arm is plastic or metal.

Don't forget the 30% longer blade. I don't know if I can fit that sword in my pocket... better get a sheath for that 3.25" blade lol. I can't imagine the driver arm being plastic... that would be almost as bad as making the file and knife plastic too. Thanks for the heads up though... I'm curious about the weight. I might have to grab one if it comes in close 6 oz. I would be more curious to find out if the driver arm is magnetic.

Here's a pic from the Gerber website:
Center-Drive_fulljpg.jpg

That's not a bad looking multi-tool. I do wonder how well the bit holder will hold up over time.

Anyone pick one up yet and want to give their impressions? It's listed on Amazon for $91.54, out of stock, and with one stellar review.

I've been trying to hold back judgement on it until I can see some reliable reviews on it. So far the only things on youtube for it are gerbers own promotional stuff.

Multitool.org has some discussion and reviews/first impressions on it

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,68896.0.html (pics on page 9 and 10)

Weighs 9.6 oz. approx (same as OHT or SOG Powerassist, way less than the Surge and similar to the ST300), QC seems very spotty with many bad units having been sent out/shipped already.
Blade is as big as the Surge's (if not bigger), carbide cutters are similar to previous Gerber offerings, bit driver is robust, seems durable and easy/quick to use. A big letdown is the prybar, seems fragile and not very "prying-friendly", awl is strong and pointed, deployment of plier head seems very easy, reliable and "fun".

Let's see what pops up the next few days.
i quite like it, at the moment.

Awesome. Looks pretty good except for some qc issues. Give it some time and I might have to pick one up. I would be surprised though if this could kick my skeletool out of my pocket when I'm at work.

I have a few questions for fellow centerdrive users. What issues have you had with the tool, if any? I received the tool on Christmas as a gift from my parents. Two days later I was in the garage prying up a hood spring tab (thin piece of steel) from the hood of my truck to remove the hood spring with the included "heavy duty" pry bar. Granted I wasn't full force laying on the pry bar, I was purely using the tool as it was intended. To my surprise the two day old tool snapped off. 4 weeks later, gerber replaced the tool and it got thrown in a drawer as I was weary of using an unreliable tool. I broke it back out of the drawer a few days ago and have been using it on the floor working freight and receiving with good results until today. A pin from a storage shelf fell out, and as a temporary fix, I was going to cut a piece of chicken wire and replace the pin temporarily. The carbide "hard wire" cutters shattered upon the first cut. To say I was let down is an understatement. Do y'all have any suggestions for replacement cutters of better quality? Have any of you experienced a similar issue?

This is on my list of multi-tools to buy, but it isn't on the top. I like the inclusion of a pry bar Cinn's store about it breaking isn't reassuring but I'm sure I'll get one eventually.

Back