George Kephart, Horace Kephart

I believe their mothers were both mothers and didn't even go to the same high school together.....:)

Sorry, no idea.

She has been making appearances at various locations hosting the new video on Horace Kephart. Next one is in NC as I recall. Last couple have been in North Georgia and Bryson City, NC (Smokey Mt NP area). I will most likely purchase the video although I doubt there is much info the Kephart knife. More interested in the formation of the park and how things were in that area 100 years ago.

Reading his book on Indians right now concerning their taking of captives.

I think she has networked with makers and users of the pattern, however, I'm guessing from speaking with her it's more about the man, and his creation of the Appalachian trail. But I've got a couple of his books waiting for me since last year, but Our Southern Highlanders was one of the best books I've read. Very entertaining, and you know he had a jug of home made next to pen and paper...

I don't believe Kephart was instrumental in the creation of the Appalachian Trail, but through his writings he was very instrumental in the creation of the park from a publicity point of view. Paul Fink is credited with the path. I suspect Horace Kephart had some influence in terms of its path through the Smoky Mt NP area as he and Fink corresponded. The money people put together and sold the park for the most part; people like Chapman and others. The donation from the Rockefeller Foundation certainly helped in land acquisition.

I read Our Southern Highlanders by Kephart. It was certainly a very interesting book and perhaps paid a bit too much attention to stills. But as he explained, they were important to the mountain people of TN, KY, and NC. The comments about the law or law enforcement especially with outsiders like myself rang very true.

Added: The mountain speak portion of the book bored me. He should have shortened that portion of the book or just made it more concise. I have lived in these areas and pretty familiar with the speech. But perhaps it has evolved over the years since Horace Kephart wrote that book.

Last edited:
Back