Gerber Gator Mfg Date(s) & ID Differences

In 1991 while preparing for an elk hunt in Colorado I purchased a Gerber Gator 650 folding 'belt' knife. Etched on the blade is 'FIRST PRODUCTION RUN' & the usual brand & model ID, plus Portland, OR USA on tang. This particular knife is/and has been an excellent knife; my constant companion on more'n a dozen hunts from Maine to Montana & points in between. On my knife the 'blade pivot' pin has a smooth 'top' on each side. On other Gator knives I've seen the pivot pins have a couple of small holes in the 'end' surface, as if for a small 'spanner' to unscrew the pin for disassembly. On the latest models I've noticed instead of holes, there is a 'depressed' area as if for an 'Allen' or 'Torx' wrench. I'm pretty sure the Gators are made to be disassembled for cleaning & such; I once saw a video with pivot pins like mine where the poster said those type pins are made to be driven out. I've never disassembled my knife as it is easily cleaned with soap & hot water. My question - Is anyone here familiar enough with the Gerber
Gator knives to know when they changed the pivot pin design, how to establish mfg date, etc? I haven't had the best of luck getting info from Gerber Legendary Blades... Any info/advice appreciated.

Here's pic of my old Gator showing the blade etching & 'smooth top' pivot pin
xdqae.jpg

I can't help you much, as my only Gator folder was bought used with no packaging; it's a USA but I have no idea how old. However, I did buy a fixed blade version from Cabela's about a year ago that turned out to be a limited edition version. The textured handle on that one was made by Bell & Carlson (gun stock manufacturer) and the blade is S30V. I bought it for around $25 on clearance, which apparently is about one-third the going rate now.

It's funny that whenever someone starts a thread asking about knives for outdoor activities, I never think of the Gator, yet I always bring it with me when fishing, hiking, etc.

Thanks. I too seldom think of the Gator when giving advice on hunting knives but, it ALWAYS goes with me when I'm out 'in the woods'. I know my knife is a first year knife as the folding Gators were introduced in 1991, & it has the 'First Production Run' etch on the blade. Dunno if there's any 'collector' value but if I'd been smart I'd have put this one in the safe & bought another for general use. I'm thinking of buying a 'companion' piece or maybe even 'retiring' my Gator but, I'd kind of like to know the approximate mfg date if I'm able to find a good, used Gator...

Back