Getting past TSA with your EDC/utility

There is a knife called the Quark Tool which is a slick EDC/utility minimalist knife. You can slide past security by quickly ditching the disposable blade and reloading it once your back at the shop.
quark-tool-21_jpg_project-body.jpg

Last edited:
As I read it, the thread is not about taking a blade on board an aircraft.

Doesn't sound to me like he's actually planning on taking a blade on board the aircraft, only the holder. Holder does not have sharp edges, so it should be legal.

Last edited:
As I read it, the thread is not about taking a blade on board an aircraft.

Doesn't sound to me like he's actually planning on taking a blade on board the aircraft, only the holder. Holder does not have sharp edges, so it should be legal.

But what would the point be as opposed to simply putting the whole thing, or any other knife, in checked luggage?

My assumption would be that if your checked baggage gets lost or delayed you still have something. Carry on, or better yet, on body is less risk.

But what would the point be as opposed to simply putting the whole thing, or any other knife, in checked luggage?

Some people fly without checked luggage. It's always nice when you can manage it. It saves time getting out of the airport, not to mention the occasional lost or missing suitcase.

Some people fly without checked luggage. It's always nice when you can manage it. It saves time getting out of the airport, not to mention the occasional lost or missing suitcase.

I'm not sure what you gain, though. You have to stop and buy new utility knife blades after you arrive, and anywhere you can buy utility knife blades, you can buy a utility knife for probably the same price as a pack of new blades. What convenience do you gain?

I can't wait to try one out! I'm a sucker for these little utility blade tools.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you gain, though. You have to stop and buy new utility knife blades after you arrive, and anywhere you can buy utility knife blades, you can buy a utility knife for probably the same price as a pack of new blades. What convenience do you gain?

Yeah, thats what I wonder. For that part, a cheap box cutter is only a buck or so and comes with a blade in it. Just toss in trash can when you leave to go home. A Stanley Mitey knife (10-039) is a couple bucks and comes with two blades, and is keychain size.

OP, please explain why this item for 18 dollars is a viable tool?

Hi,

Check out the swisstech utili key.

Flying with it on my keys - no problems yet.

Bye ric

Obviously you gain a nifty piece of extra weight for your keychain. Light keychains are such a distraction when you travel. Screwpop Tools has something similar, with a magnet to keep the blade from rattling and a bottle opener on the end so it isn't completely worthless without the blade. As a utility knife, it beats holding a bare blade with your fingers.

Hi,

Check out the swisstech utili key.

Flying with it on my keys - no problems yet.

Bye ric

the only one in my keychain that's made it through each and every time

CAM01648_zpskovxi2ji.jpg

All airports I've been through failed to take this useful gadget from me

I actually like this thing,especially because it doesn't have a bottle opener built into it. If it's one thing I hate it's having a bottle opener on everything, and only tolerate them as folding functions on a sak or multitool.
think it might make the perfect wallet knife depending on how thin it is, and really like the extreme minimalist design.

Now as far as air travel goes I think that I'd rather just buy a jiffy cutter then have to buy a new blade for this.

I don't have much use for bottle openers either, yet I seem to have about a dozen on me. At least the ones with a bottle opener still have *some* function when the blade is removed, other than taking up space on your keyring. But yes, buying a $3.00 jiffy cutter and tossing it when you're done makes more sense to me.

I don't have much use for bottle openers either, yet I seem to have about a dozen on me. At least the ones with a bottle opener still have *some* function when the blade is removed, other than taking up space on your keyring. But yes, buying a $3.00 jiffy cutter and tossing it when you're done makes more sense to me.
For someone who's ok with something like this it definitely makes more sense to just buy a box cutter when you get there instead of just the blade.
Sure something like this or any other sort of utility blade will cut stuff and you'll know you've got a cutting tool on you, but would you not still feel naked ? I know I would.
I'm so used to having a knife on me, that there's no way I'd feel right carrying just something like this. Even if I was going to a place where carrying a knife is illegal I'd still drop my peanut in my pocket which nobody would know about.

Back