Glad I didn't get that dumb RAT 5!

I got a RAT 7 instead and glad I got it over the RAT 5! :D

Yes I got a RAT :p...Finally...

Wanting a true multi-tool micarta handled decent good knife at the best possible price...well size was a factor, the 5 looked goodish but the 7 from experience with my RDs proved to be more useful. It seems it will be a great mutlitool.

I can now see why RAT knives are still going strong. Good stout blade, great heat treat on the steel and the handle nice and its a great all round package for the price you pay!

Yep I was right it seems, if you are only going to get one RAT the 7 is the most versatile way to go.

The RAT 7 offers great control and balance for doing close in things it feels like and low gimping gives extra secure fit for doing them. Its a real sized handled well thought out yet simple design that makes it very lively in hand and feels it would be that one great tool option people "hunt" for.

Compared to my RD 6 and 7s, its lighter and has a bigger handle yet still has a decent hilt for thumping and wumping. For a general purpose knife to do knifey things, this one is about all one would need I would say. The choil on the RDs are bit bigger and I think helps the thicker blade do more bushy type things, may not as well as a bushy knife but it works. The RDs are a bit tougher I think, but for most normal knife uses the RAT7 should be able to do light to medium tasks well and heavy when called on.

My other 1095 knife (not counting my airforce one) the RAK I think is a bit more multi mission though. Its flat grind with a bit of a saberish effect the grind has on it makes it way more versatile, where the oddly large choil seems to make good control for close up tasky things. But the handle is way much shorter and its got a spike for a hilt. Spike I found does have some decent uses so kept it.

For a one tool option though for true knifey jobs and such and full sized mircarta handle for a great 1095 solid knife for the great price and life time warranty you get, this would be a great knife to get! Its one hell of a great package one gets when one gets this knife!

OK...this RAT 7 is VERY ADDICTIVE to handle in hand with the handle! Its a great slicer, the quality is amazing for the price! Its good enough to ride along the SP-53 or SP-51 when I use a "knife system" in the wilderhood or just old wood road rambling.

Its definitely a good stand alone blade if I do the "oops I forgot it again!" maneuver.

Right now I can see it being the dedicated camp and default slicer knife for me. Its WAY OVER KILL for that duty, but I like the idea of if it has to, it can do LOTS of other jobs. Plus its handle makes it easier to chop with than an RD.

Already its been "Dibs On" for some one who wants to use it as its "Knifey" looking more than an RD I loan out next sort of camping trip at the old farm stead.

Just watch out if you handle the knife though, its VERY addicting in the hand to handle. Some thing about the weight, balance and good sized handle just says "Use me!".

Once again for a micarta handled knife for its size and function and PRICE. Really this knife is a great value. Yes some knives can do better in the 7" category, but this knife is great all round task doing blade for a great price!

EDIT ADD ON: (To avoid unintended bump.)
Really the RAT 7 is very addicting to handle. If I didn't need such a harder to use than normal knife capability of 5160 steel, I'd of RATed out the knife budget. If they put this or a good sized micarta handle on the Woodsman, I know I'd get one for a 2nd full flat grind 5160 blade. (if they offered it in a SP-51 blade style I'd be all over it! Or SP-53 since they still produce that one)

EDIT ADDED ON MORER AGAIN!:
Well more over researching showed YEP so glad got this RAT 7 over a RAT 5. The larger blade is better for my purposes. Watch out if the RAT 7 gets in your hands...its very addictive handling.

Last edited:
Some one was asking me about EESE knives and wanted an ESSE 6, I gave him my RAT 7 to play with, he reluctantly gave it back to me and said he ordered a RAT 7 as he said it was cheaper price wise than the ESSE 6.

The RAT 7 is very hard not to like. I picked up the D2 version several years ago and while I have several camp knives the RAT is the one that gets the most use by far. I found a good deal on some kydex pants for it and now Im looking at the sculpted G10 scales that TKC offers (they want almost as much for the scales as I paid for the knife second hand).

I've also got a RAT 3 in D2 that is my usual EDC knife.

They make a good team.

Jester

I hate G10. They feel to plasticy. For my RD 9 getting factory Micarta to get rid of them ugly G10 orange handles. and for my RD4.

Yes the RAT 7 is a very knice kslicey kknifiey!

Last edited:
Back