Golden Stone and Serrations

For those of you with a Spyderco Golden Stone (I think there are a few others out there): How do you sharpen serrations with it?

1) rest the bottom on a bench and tilt to 20 degree angle and use it like you would a sharpmaker
2) use the curved side like a rod and manually shapen each serration
3) other

Knife is a Spyderco salt 2 if that makes a difference. But I also have a couple of serrated kitchen knives I'd like to try.

Oh, and for the record, is it Golden Stone or Goldenstone?

Thanks!

Hi F308gt4,

I hold the top of the stone between my thumb and index,middle fingers. I rotate the stone clockwise about 35-40 degrees so the corners are sticking farthest farthest. I stroke the corner of the stone, beveled side on the right corner with the serrated edge slowly. Usually 3-5 strokes. Then I rock the stone to the other side and stroke the stone (left side) with the non beveled side of the serration 1-2 strokes, then repeat.

We're planning a video of the functions, waiting on the CBN Stone (Duckfoot embryo). We just have quite a few irons in the fire right now.

Golden Stone (a formed ceramic stone made in Golden, Colorado)

sal

Hi F308gt4,

I hold the top of the stone between my thumb and index,middle fingers. I rotate the stone clockwise about 35-40 degrees so the corners are sticking farthest farthest. I stroke the corner of the stone, beveled side on the right corner with the serrated edge slowly. Usually 3-5 strokes. Then I rock the stone to the other side and stroke the stone (left side) with the non beveled side of the serration 1-2 strokes, then repeat.

We're planning a video of the functions, waiting on the CBN Stone (Duckfoot embryo). We just have quite a few irons in the fire right now.

Golden Stone (a formed ceramic stone made in Golden, Colorado)

sal

Thank you Sal! Very awesome to have my questions answered by the big man himself!!!

Good luck and best wishes with your ongoing projects- I'm looking forward to them.

I love all my Spyderco sharpening tools. it took me a while to get the hang of the GOLDENSTONE. I've had mine for about 4 years now and have used it for a lot of different sharpening jobs. I have used mine to sharpen a couple of Spyderedged folders but I have had better results with my Spyderco 701 Profile set. I find that the radii on the 701 Profiles fit the scallops easier than the radii ( rounded corners) of the GOLDENSTONE.

I can't wait for the CBN version that Sal just informed us about. I also can't wait to view a more comprehensive video on the uses of the GOLDENSTONE and CBN Duckfoot. If I'm overlooking a more proficient method of using the GoLDENSTONE for serrations/Spyderedges I sure want to know more.

I would love to see the GOLDENSTONE in more grits and would also love to see that base unit released that Spyderco spoke of a few months back.

The thing I find most endearing about Sal is that when he responds to people on forums, he will sometimes just casually drop awesome news into the conversation. CBN duckfoot? A new knife nobody knows is coming? Fulfilling some random desire of spyderfreaks? Yep, that all happens.

Thanks Sal. Your level of engagement with the community that supports your products is second to none. :thumbsup:

As far as using the GOLDENSTONE for sharpening serrations the times I've tried to use it for that purpose I've tried using the radii on both sides for the scallops just the same way I did with the 701 Profiles.

I am going to try the method that Sal just suggested. AGain I can't wait for the GOLDENSTONE to be available in more grit selections.

Back