"Good reason" to carry a knife

At sixty I have carried a knife as long as I can remember. If I am in the woods I will probably have a few on me. And I'll bet that each day its been used a few times.
Its the handiest thing a person can have in there pocket.

I like the idea that's been mentioned:

"It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have."

More than once, some of the people who know I carry a knife and wonder why have asked to use it. After a few rounds of that, they stop asking why I carry a knife.

I thought of a really good reason a few nights ago, and I can't remember it now. I really should have written it down. :(

I carry because I can't think of a good reason not to. TIA - This Is Africa and I need a SAK and a sheath knife. Came across a squished puff adder yesterday and when I walk I carry a staff. Highschools don't allow them, private jnr schools don't mind a small SAK so long as the screwdriver is not liberally used on equipment.

Last edited:
Because they stab people and make them bleed profusely. I can think of a lot of situations where this is a good thing.

Gentlemen, this thread was started by a real knife legend, James Mattis, who since passed away. He started it as a reference for people to use and the stabbing comment is not in the spirit of this thread and actually does the industry harm so please post responsibly.

It was nice to see James Mattis' name pop up
after so many years. He was quite a gentleman.
Doc

My apologies…

As mentioned previously, utility is at the top of my list. I use my knife on a daily basis to peal an apple, open packages, or at least cut into media that I cannot tear open or bite open with my fingers and teeth.

I find it funny that people ask me why I carry a knife (even at work)…but it is normally the same people that come to me when they need a knife to open something or cut packaging.

Knives are tools, possibly even the most useful and basic tool ever invented. Without knives you wouldn’t be able to eat, cook, or complete other tasks nearly as effortlessly as you can when you have a knife.

Back