"Good reason" to carry a knife

I carry a knife because of all the tools I own it's the one I use the most.

Last edited:
"To drive my enemies before me and hear the lamentations of their women"!:D--KV

I just give them a blank stare and walk away shaking my head. If I am so inclined to respond, I will ask them some question about how do they do some edged tool-related task without said tool.

A side note...my roommates said that knives were dangerous and unnecessary, so, as a challenge, I took all of our kitchen knives and locked them in my room for two days. :D Apparently, they are useful sometimes.

I just give them a blank stare and walk away shaking my head. If I am so inclined to respond, I will ask them some question about how do they do some edged tool-related task without said tool.

A side note...my roommates said that knives were dangerous and unnecessary, so, as a challenge, I took all of our kitchen knives and locked them in my room for two days. :D Apparently, they are useful sometimes.

It's never wrong to demonstrate how stupid some folks are when they open their mouths before engaging critical thinking processes. This is a seriously stylish move on your part. :D

Similar question: "woah, why is it so sharp?"

"why are your wheels so round?"

Late late late response to this thread but I had to add this story. Its about carrying knives, its about Gurkhas and Kukris, its a little extreme and incredibly cool.
Some reports say he there were 30 robbers, some say there were 40. But even if there were like 10..........its still bloody impressive.
http://xnepali.net/a-gurkha-soldier...-be-felicitated-in-the-republic-day-of-india/
http://mybloggityblog.com/wordpress/2011/01/indian-soldier-battles-on-40-thieves-guess-who-won/
And this last one is just cos Gurkhas are damn cool :)
http://xnepali.net/gurkha-solider-gets-britains-second-highest-medal-for-bravery/

Cheerz

Got asked this by my schools counselors back in september, my response was to cut things, I was told that's what a scissors were for I've been treated like an idiot ever since

Because its a tool, and can be used for every day things or emergency situations like cutting someone free from a seatbelt or cutting someone free of any number of things haha

My friend keeps saying
"Why do you need a knife when your teeth can do everything"

My only response has been "Because when your car flips and seatbelt gets stuck how do you plan on chewing your way out"

He refuses to take this as a valid reason...

Any ideas on how I can shut him up? :p

My friend keeps saying
"Why do you need a knife when your teeth can do everything"

My only response has been "Because when your car flips and seatbelt gets stuck how do you plan on chewing your way out"

He refuses to take this as a valid reason...

Any ideas on how I can shut him up? :p

Just tell him:

"Because a new set of teeth is worth much more than a knife, and a knife is always sharper"

Not having a knife (considered by most archaeologists "the first tool") on you is like going backwards on evolution. Only kids don't need knives, and thats because their parents cut their food to pieces. Once they grow up, they learn to use the "fork+knife" combo to cut their steaks.

Carrying a knife is second nature to me. I grew up hunting and fishing and always kept a knife on me then. Were I work I use my knife to break down cardboard boxes and cut open bags; besides you never know when you're going to need a knife.

I think the question "why do you need a knife ?" is just about as stupid as asking someone why do you need hands? Man is a tool using animal and without tools he is less able to survive. Personally I think the best answer to the question is mind your own business.

My friend cut himself pretty bad out in the woods yesterday. I used a knife to cut a few strips of cloth until we could get something more permanent.

To have it there for your cutting needs is the best reason possible.
Some people just don't have common sense.
Those people question us and don't carry knives. Lol.

I carry a tool to use it for things I need to do, and many people ask to use it... then ask why I carry a knife. :rolleyes:

This is a long thread. Anyway, I carry one just to have in case I need to cut something. And that happens with regularity.
Aside from that though, to be honest, I just like knives. The way they look, feel, and perform. It's just like any other hobby. Some collect golf clubs, some old tools, some collect coins. It's just an interest you develop when you begin delving into the history and lore of knives.
I don't carry one for self defense, although I have some that would cover that category. I carry a gun for that.
But there is something so much more personal about a knife. Just holding one that you liked enough to buy, for whatever reason, gives a sense of power. I can imagine that our long ago ancestors felt the same thing when they held a blade in their hands. It's a feeling that a gun just doesn't impart to me. Or a golf club.
It's like you can hold back all the darkness of the world if you needed to. Just you and your knife.
Silly I know, but that is the feeling that a knife in my hand, gives.
But hey, the one's that ask you why you carry one, don't really care what your answer is. They've already made up their minds that you're an extremist, full of self delusions. So why even play their game. Just say because I want to. And leave it at that. Chances are they'll never understand anyway.

Back