GossHawk

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
I was going to wait to post about this new Wilderness Tool but I'm pretty excited to get this project rolling. I've had people ask about a hatchet in the past so this is what i'm working on. I have no clue as when it will be available. I guess it will be somewhat mid tech because I will be having GreatLakes Waterjet cut out the blanks. I will heat treat and finish in my shop. This will be set up with some type of shoulder rig. Specs are
A2 steel, 5/16" thick
11" overall
4" from pole to edge
3" cutting edge
handle 1 1/4" wide, tapers to 1 1/8" just below the head
micarta scales only, 5 1/2" length scales
Two pins and a forward/rear 3/8" lanyard hole
More details to come.
Scott

Attachments

• Gossman+hatchet.jpg
    Gossman+hatchet.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 242
Looks great Scott... Looking forward to seeing one in all fit and finished.

Thanks guys. I can't wait to get one finished and take it out for a trial run. I've been itching to use a hatchet to process a whitetail but just haven't gotten a chance to. I will this fall. :D
cocomen69, good to see you back. :thumbup:
Scott

Thanks Scott, Good to be back. Lost my job last November, and have been scrambling to make ends meet. Things are getting better now, I'm going to be starting a steady job in 2 weeks. Needless to say, Its been rough... Miraculously, I have managed to hang on to my blades though...

ooohh....:eek: cool looking design Scott... :thumbup: i'm sure these are going to come out great...

Thanks Scott, Good to be back. Lost my job last November, and have been scrambling to make ends meet. Things are getting better now, I'm going to be starting a steady job in 2 weeks. Needless to say, Its been rough... Miraculously, I have managed to hang on to my blades though...

Best of luck to you bro. Times are tough and I hope everything works out for you.
Glad to hear you were able to hang on to your knives. :thumbup:
Scott

ooohh....:eek: cool looking design Scott... :thumbup: i'm sure these are going to come out great...

Thanks Mike. I've tossed this idea around for over a year. One the way down to the Blade show, I talked it over with my travel companions, Dan Shecthman and LT. Mike. They pretty much talked me into it. :D
Scott

Scott,

This looks awesome. Any idea where the balance point will be?

Kev

Will this be be affordable to those with thin wallets such as myself Scott:eek:, any rough idea on price yet ?

Will this be be affordable to those with thin wallets such as myself Scott:eek:, any rough idea on price yet ?

I'm not really sure on a definate price point yet. I'm guessing somewhere around $225.00, not counting the carry system. Not as much labor involved as finishing a large camp knife.
Scott

that would go great with the beast you made me years back man! A2 Rocks and so does that design..........do keep up updated!

Cerberus

The cutouts are on the way to me. I hope to have a prototype made up next week. I will be posting a pre-order thread for these in the near future for anyone interested.
Scott

Well I've got the first GossHawk HTed and ready for handles. I'll post pics this weekend. After that, it's off to the woods on my hunting property for alittle hacking and chopping.
Scott

Back