Got a new Marksman

I have been eyeballing the Marksman for a long time now. All the reviews seemed pretty positive. The YouTube videos were pretty positive, too. The strap lock really intrigued me. I really liked the idea of it being adjustable so it would keep a tight lockup. When my Marksman arrived today, I thought it felt really good in the hand. I noticed the blade isn't centered when closed, though. However, since it doesn't touch the liner I was willing to look past that. I noticed when pushing the flipper, the blade wouldn't always catch on the strap. It would just bounce back. I wanted to adjust the strap, and it seemed like a number of people have said the lock needs adjusting out of the box. I watched a couple videos on YouTube about how to adjust it properly (one from SKBlades and the other from zelrick). It looked easy enough. I got an allen wrench and started unscrewing the screw closest to the flipper. Boy was it stuck. Then I got to the other screw and it wouldn't budge at all. In fact, the stupid screw stripped on me. That really makes me mad. I have only had the stupid knife a few hours. When looking at the one screw that did come out, the threads in the screw hole look like Buck must have given the screw a bath in loctite. There's blue goop all over in there. The thought of having to send a brand new knife in really ticks me off. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the stuck screw out? I'm just frustrated and don't know what to do.

I would try getting it replaced without having to pay any more money. Try the store that you purchased it from. If you paid by credit card, you can threaten a chargeback since there are protections that come with them. If they don't play ball then do a chargeback and keep the knife, then send it to Buck.

If I stripped my new Marksman I'd be upset too. In the future best send it to Buck or return to point of sale.
My Marksman works flawlessly and has been a great EDC.

Sounds like the knife was almost entirely fine but in the process of trying to mess around with it yourself you managed to break it. Warranty or not, this doesn't sound like a problem with the knife but rather a mistake you made that you'd like fixed. Either way, the warranty department at either Buck or the place you bought it should be contacted, they are the ones with the power to make it right.

Those screws are known to be very hard to remove. NEVER budge any screws in knives. you will always strip them. it most likely has locktite holding them in. you need to heat it up and or shock the loctite to remove them... even then they are a bear to remove.

you could have just sent it to buck which sucks, but it happens sometimes. hopefully they will help you even tho you stripped the screws. i know some will charge you to repair your damage since thats not covered by warranties in general unless they wave it.

Sounds like the knife was almost entirely fine but in the process of trying to mess around with it yourself you managed to break it. Warranty or not, this doesn't sound like a problem with the knife but rather a mistake you made that you'd like fixed. Either way, the warranty department at either Buck or the place you bought it should be contacted, they are the ones with the power to make it right.

So are you saying it's my fault that Buck doused the screws in loctite? That's what you might as well be saying. I didn't break anything. All I did was turn the damn allen wrench. I don't see how it's my screw up when I wasn't the one that put so much loctite in. I managed to get the first screw out no problem. It didn't even feel like I was putting that much pressure on the allen wrench when the head inside the screw started stripping.

I did manage to get the second screw out. I didn't want to use it, but I had to use the Dremel to etch a notch into it so I could use a regular screw driver to break it free. I cleaned up the screws and the holes of the copious amount of loctite that was in them. I did not use any loctite when putting them back in. I really don't feel like those screws need any loctite to begin with. When I took my two Spitfires apart, I didn't use anywhere near as much loctite as Buck used in the Marksman, and those screws are staying put just fine.

So are you saying it's my fault that Buck doused the screws in loctite? That's what you might as well be saying. I didn't break anything. All I did was turn the damn allen wrench. I don't see how it's my screw up when I wasn't the one that put so much loctite in. I managed to get the first screw out no problem. It didn't even feel like I was putting that much pressure on the allen wrench when the head inside the screw started stripping.

I did manage to get the second screw out. I didn't want to use it, but I had to use the Dremel to etch a notch into it so I could use a regular screw driver to break it free. I cleaned up the screws and the holes of the copious amount of loctite that was in them. I did not use any loctite when putting them back in. I really don't feel like those screws need any loctite to begin with. When I took my two Spitfires apart, I didn't use anywhere near as much loctite as Buck used in the Marksman, and those screws are staying put just fine.

Not your fault that Buck put loctite on the screws, but definitely your fault that you stripped them. You broke the screws, just because there was loctite on them doesn't make it Buck's fault you stripped them trying to get them out. Better to ask for help than to break something and blame the company that made it rather than your own actions.

JayC - It is not your fault that the screw stripped. It is upsetting but it does happen. If you can replace the screw yourself than do so and if not than send it in to Buck and explain what happened and I am sure
they will take care of it. Might be a bit frustrating but in the end you will love the knife I am sure. These things happen. Take a deep breath and don't let it ruin your day.

Not your fault that Buck put loctite on the screws, but definitely your fault that you stripped them. You broke the screws, just because there was loctite on them doesn't make it Buck's fault you stripped them trying to get them out. Better to ask for help than to break something and blame the company that made it rather than your own actions.

That's a new one to me. Most screws that strip put up a fight first. This one didn't (only one screw stripped on me, not both). I put the allen wrench in and it immediately stripped. The other one didn't do that. Why is it one came out and the other one didn't? I suppose somewhere in between the two I turned into an incompetent oaf. Both holes that the screws were in were completely blue. This wasn't just a little loctite, this was a lot. Neither one of my two Spitfires had that much loctite on any of their screws and I took them apart just fine.

JayC - It is not your fault that the screw stripped. It is upsetting but it does happen. If you can replace the screw yourself than do so and if not than send it in to Buck and explain what happened and I am sure
they will take care of it. Might be a bit frustrating but in the end you will love the knife I am sure. These things happen. Take a deep breath and don't let it ruin your day.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll contact Buck and see if they can send a screw. That's all I would need is one little screw.

I managed to strip the screws on my Marksman. In my case it was I that over tightened them .
Contacted Buck through their chatline on the Buck web site and they sent me 2 new screws no charge.
It is too bad that you had a problem with that knife so soon after recieving it,the Marksman is a really
good knife and I hope you end up likeing it.

Reactions: Mo2
I have two and love them both. Neither have needed any adjustment. This one goes with me on the road across Washington, Idaho and Montana and has been flicked open and shut thousands of times.

Back