Grandpa's Design...

Horsewright

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Well I can't say that he actually designed it but he made em for sure. Its a handy little belt sheath for a folder, like a Case Trapper or such. I hadn't made any in some years for some reason or other, can't really think why. They are handy at shows because they are something ya can have to sell for not much money. They are extremely easy to make. Nichole had bought some soft milled horsehide for some of her holsters and didn't like it, so I made up a few of these out some of it. 5/6 oz or 6/7 oz is about right for weight on these.

Wc65s11.jpg

PwkwlOS.jpg

2XPZV6m.jpg

1611pLK.jpg

They are simple and easy to make. Imagine an oval. Fold in half down the long axis and then fold in half again end to end. That will tell ya where to punch that 1" slot for the knife. Slot goes on one side of the second fold, makers mark on the other.

HWdSYSI.jpg

Sew the long edge together, finish your edges, oil and finish the sheath, blood knot the two halves together and call er good. I don't even really wet mold these because they'll work with about any folder if ya don't as long as it'll fit in that slot. I've also sold them constructed but unfinished so that folks could wet mold them themselves and then rub the edges.

1DvswZV.jpg

Slip er on your belt and your ready to go cowboying. Don't have to dig in that pocket for your folder.

yYGaAtF.jpg

Need it bigger or smaller? Just change the size of your oval and the slot punch. Easy peasey to adjust. The only refinement I've added is to sew down the top of the slot. Don't really need to, the originals didn't but it does make it just a hair neater. Recognize that white handled folder Ken? Thanks!

Questions and comments always welcome.

I really like the design and idea of those :thumbsup: .
I could be tempted to have a crack at making one myself .
I had forgotten about that knife Dave , its good to see it getting some action .

Ken

Thanks guys!
Ken go for it. Kind of the idea behind the post, get some guys to try it.

Looks interesting Dave, I for sure am going to make one. My Grandpa made his tool box to carry the tools he used the most. When he passed, I started using if for my tools. It's a nice functional box and will probably be around after I'm gone.
John

Thanks guys! Good deal John, give it a try. I forgot to mention that I do glue the back half sides together too when I make the long fold and glue the edge together for sewing. Helps it lie a little flatter when all done.

Next time you run a few of these Dave - take a few pics if you don't mind.

I just love it's simplicity and given it doesn't have any hard edges I am sure it wears like a dream on the waist - and frankly - I think it looks unique.

Jason

Back