Gransfors bruks american felling axe

Does any one know where I can find one? everywhere I check they are sold out. I want the straight handle if all possible. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sorry, no. But you can get a vintage American felling axe that is at least as good for a fraction of the price.

A retail outfit in Finland (Lamnia) carries all manner of Euro axes for decent prices. But why you would have a 'hard on' for one of these escapes me.

FWIW, unless you want this to compliment a collection, I want to suggest that you can get a used Kelly Perfect (or other) in good condition for $30 - $70, a hand selected, grade a handle from House Handles for $20, add $40-$50 for shipping everything, spend an evening restoring and rehafting and you'll have a high quality axe for life. Compared to $300 plus shipping the GB plus shipping, its worth thinking about. Plus, it's hard to put a value on restoring your own axe!

Does any one know where I can find one? everywhere I check they are sold out. I want the straight handle if all possible. Any help would be much appreciated.
I do not know where you can get one, so this post doesn't directly answer your question. Out of curiosity I looked at the Lamnia website and they do not list one (wild goose chase). Because you asked directly, I believe you have set your sights on a GB felling axe, and I encourage you to go for it.

Bob

FWIW, unless you want this to compliment a collection, I want to suggest that you can get a used Kelly Perfect (or other) in good condition for $30 - $70, a hand selected, grade a handle from House Handles for $20, add $40-$50 for shipping everything, spend an evening restoring and rehafting and you'll have a high quality axe for life. Compared to $300 plus shipping the GB plus shipping, its worth thinking about. Plus, it's hard to put a value on restoring your own axe!
I got my 4lb Kelly perfect Jersey with original handle for $100. I just had to re wedge and sharpen it. I felt bad about spending that much.

I wonder how well the gb would fair in a head to head with the Kelly;)

I got my 4lb Kelly perfect Jersey with original handle for $100. I just had to re wedge and sharpen it. I felt bad about spending that much.
I wonder how well the gb would fair in a head to head with the Kelly;)
Yep a few years ago I too would have felt stiffed at forking over $100 for an old and quaint looking (but prestige stamped) axe... until I started perusing catalogue prices of current 'top drawer' makes. I personally don't know what differentiates Kelly 'Perfects' from their lesser grades but discerning buyers were fussy and very experienced at one time and whenever they insisted on 'the very best' some of the manufacturers catered specifically to them.

I hope I am not stirring an old pot here but may I ask what makes the GB felling axe so superior to any other axe other than ones personal opinion? I have one that I found years ago and rehung it. Appearance wise it has a terrible finnish to the metal surface but in its favor I can sharpen it to a razors edge and literally shave with it. It does hold its edge after quite a bit of time chopping wood. Is it workmanship? reputation? how its made? I do like the GB I have but what justifies the price?

There is currently a mystic associated with Swedish axes. I think it arose from the fact that most axes for sale in hardware stores today are made in China, India or Mexico from recycled steel of dubious quality. Compared to those, modern GB axes are a far cry better. The modern GBs have flat cheeks (no high centerline) and stick badly in felling or bucking operations but at least their steel isn't crap.
Council Tool's Velvicut line made of 5160 are superior to GB stuff but the new Council stuff barely has a rise on center.

I just got an old True Temper Kelly Perfect 3 off the internet for just under $50 US, including shipping. Can't wait to restore and rehaft. Start to finish, this one will come in at under $100, and unless I totally screw it up, it should be a great match for the GB at less than half the price.

There is currently a mystic associated with Swedish axes. I think it arose from the fact that most axes for sale in hardware stores today are made in China, India or Mexico from recycled steel of dubious quality. Compared to those, modern GB axes are a far cry better. The modern GBs have flat cheeks (no high centerline) and stick badly in felling or bucking operations but at least their steel isn't crap.
Council Tool's Velvicut line made of 5160 are superior to GB stuff but the new Council stuff barely has a rise on center.
You will be able to get a brand new Maine made 2lb Maine wedge cruiser on a 28" handle in 2018. You can get one of the first runs for the small donation of $1000. Lol. I have no idea how much they will actually cost to buy.
gkd3ueehrrjp0m98ttai (1).jpg

You will be able to get a brand new Maine made 2lb Maine wedge cruiser on a 28" handle in 2018. You can get one of the first runs for the small donation of $1000. Lol. I have no idea how much they will actually cost to buy.
View attachment 725355

Has there been a thread about this already? I hadn't heard of the brand until a couple weeks ago I was in Maine and saw some of their axes and hatchets at the Shelter Institute. Then I saw some more in a little boutique shop in Portland. I had no idea they're going to produce axes. The ones I saw had serious issues.

Has there been a thread about this already? I hadn't heard of the brand until a couple weeks ago I was in Maine and saw some of their axes and hatchets at the Shelter Institute. Then I saw some more in a little boutique shop in Portland. I had no idea they're going to produce axes. The ones I saw had serious issues.
I don't know. And I have never held anything they have made in my hands. I just ran into the funding page when browsing the usual ax sections of the internet and remembered them as both being local, and having made a couple of cool tee shirts. Perhaps I will wander on down and check them out.

I don't think anyone ever made 1055 arguably better when used in axes, than the Swedish guys. They don't have qualms about running it harder than Council does 5160, either.

Back