grinding a double-edge curved blade - anything different need to happen?

Just wondering if, when you grind a leaf-shaped blade, you typically change grind angles or anything at the thinnest points along the blade. Seems to me that if I grind like normal, I'm going to end up reaching the center line a lot sooner at the thinner parts of the blade. I'm shooting for a flat grind to the center; trying this one out for fun and to see what I could learn from it, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any tips.

Mark the thickness you want your edge to be and grind to that edge all along. That will give you a consistant thickness at the edge.

I like to grind the area with the largest width first and then work into the other areas.

Wayne

As said by Frank and Wayne, work fro the edge toward the center, from wide to narrow, and from thick to thin.
A blade like this project is a good candidate for using files and leaving the grinder turned off. If grinding, use slower speeds, fresh belts, and watch out for gouges.

Thanks for the advice guys. I went ahead and did some experimentation. Turns out that I had it backwards. The thin waist of the blade ended up being thick when I kept the grind even. I ended up taking it down partway with machine tools, then finished it with files and sandpaper as much as I could. I think I need more files though; I only have a few, and even the finest one I have (which is still coarse) gouges the heck out of the steel. So I had to finish it really carefully with my grinders. I was smart this time and made sure I traced the blade shape precisely when I went to grind out the blank, so it came out better than the absymal failure I had last time--that was UGLY. But it turns out I'm not so good at getting the grinds to meet precisely in the center. I think that's going to take me a jig and precise angles before I get the feel for it.

Here's it started out some:
2011-10-22190626.jpg

Refined a bit more, cord wrap isn't staying, just put that on for more comfortable grip while I was grinding and sanding and all, and to test balance. It's got to be able to move, after all.
2011-10-23142032.jpg

After I get it out for heat treat, it's going to get the full handle covered in some sort of scales. Trying to decide if I want to try micarta, or just pick up some more cocobolo, which I can get locally for a good price.

It's 18" OAL, 1/4" thick, with a blade that's 11.25" long. That makes it a bit shorter than a sword, but pretty long for a knife. So should I have it HT at low 50's RC, or closer to 60 RC? The Steel FAQ suggested low 50's for swords, and higher 50's for hard use knives.

Back