Grinding gloves

I don't use gloves only push sticks. On the disc I do tend to get my nails quite short. I have had blades sucked between the platen and tool rest (not for awhile luckily). After heat treat I use less push sticks.

I would never use gloves on a drill press, buffer etc. I only use them on my grinder to avoid burning my hands.

What is that? The only thing I'm trying to protect is the shower of sparks on my index finger.
They are at TruGrit and cost like a buck.

They have them in thumbs and index fingers, my hands are that of a gorilla so the thumbs fit better for me :)

I only use nitrile gloves to keep my skin from pruning from constant quenching; I try not to wear thicker gloves then that as I use a work rest and would reeeeaaaally not enjoy to have them be pulled in to the slot between the rest and belt and take most of my hand off with it. +1 for the push sticks!

Also AVigil AVigil hahahaha that was good

What about some automotive header wrap on your fingers? Mummy it up!

I was taught gloves near rotating machinery is a big no-no. Are grinders rotating machinery? Is a chainsaw? I guess each individual will have to decide.

Last edited:
I have a pair of those somewhere I wanted to try but I can't find them and don't want to buy another pair as I remember thinking they were useless for nearly everything I wore gloves for previously.

They were THE mechanics gloves (air force crew chief) before the Mechanix and other brand gloves of that type out there. I found them extremely useful for many things in years past.

They were THE mechanics gloves (air force crew chief) before the Mechanix and other brand gloves of that type out there. I found them extremely useful for many things in years past.

I can see that, they were very form fitting. I just remember the palms and fingers being slippery.

One thing that just came to mind is the leather finger cots sold by places like gesswein and Rio Grande. Has anyone tried those? They look thin, but the price is good

No gloves for me,

I will use these if it gets to hot

201395.jpg
I use these as a second layer over my paint dipped ones when they start to burn. I only wear one glove while grinding, on the hand holding the spine. Get em at tru grit.

I have thought about using the cloth medical tape wrapped around my support fingers as I allways have a tendency remove my knuckle skin.

I have thought about using the cloth medical tape wrapped around my support fingers as I allways have a tendency remove my knuckle skin.

That's what I use, if anything at all.
I don't feel like I have as much control with gloves on.

I have a hard time with blanket statements about shop safety. Yes, if you remove gloves from the shop, there will be less glove related injury... there will also be an increase in abrasion and burn related injuries. LEARN to recognize potential dangers and use the appropriate safety gear. Much of what we label as "potentially" dangerous on this site is industry standard for safety, elsewhere. You just have to be smart and understand the equipment you are using.

If your grinder has a rest, there is a pinch point... gloves are a no-no. But if you grind on a wheel or open flat platen, there is little danger and gloves can prevent abrasions. In many of the manufacturing/fabricating shops I've been to, gloves were worn in most grinding and buffing situations. I was in tool and die for 15yrs. Still trying to figure out how gloves are a danger on a buffer... lol.

They need to fit properly, of course. I find the rubber sprayed gloves catch on the belt and jam my fingers. Leather is more expensive but more forgiving, IMO.

Last edited:
The only way a buffer can grab a glove is if you are using a spiral point to hold the wheel, and your hand ends up getting too close to the point.

I had a small wheel mounted, but not a pinhole center. About an inch of point sticking out. Buffing the front side of a guard after soldering, dug the corner in and jerked it. It didn't pull it out of my hand, but it did pull my left hand towards the end of the point. The point grabbed the glove and started pulling it in. Luckily the glove ripped apart before my hand did.
That was a couple years ago now, and I still have the misshapen knuckle to prove it.
I wear gloves using buffing wheels between flanges, but NEVER on points.

In industry, you'd seldom if ever see someone buffing without gloves

I had a glove get caught on a drill bit in the press when i was doing a run of kydex sheaths. I neglected to take my gloves off after pulling hot kydex from the oven. The gloves were cotton with rubber dipped palms, which is what i use for pre heat treat grinding and for kydex. I escaped serious injury since my drill press is a belt drive and the belt slipped once i got wrapped up in bit. Bent bit, some pain, and bruised ego. I just got some green mesh tape that sticks only to itself on my last USA knifemaker order. I am going to try that for pre and post heat treat grinding on my support index fingers only.

i do agree gloves are dangerous on a drill press. i have a 1.5" rule, my hand never gets closer to the bit than that. i had an incident in the past, glove strings got wrapped around the bit and luckily the glove ripped rather than pulling my finger in. tool rest on a grinder- never wipe off the rest with a gloved hand, the glove will get sucked in between the belt and rest and pull your hand in. i use a 4" paintbrush to clean the rest off. i do believe i have saved myself from more injuries wearing gloves, even though the gloves invite a few possibilities of their own. many times i have rubbed a knuckle on a 36 grit belt, and wondered what it would look like if i had not been wearing a glove. last but not least i am a batchelor, single women do not like grubby knifemaker hands :D

MaxiFlex Ultimate gloves (they come in numbered sizes) are an absolute must when grinding. Been using them for years, super control, no more burns, no more abrasion injuries (unless you really mess up). Those old fashioned floppy "work gloves" are indeed very dangerous in many applications in the workshop. Use your head and use the right safety gear and you will be fine.

MaxiFlex Ultimate gloves (they come in numbered sizes) are an absolute must when grinding. Been using them for years, super control, no more burns, no more abrasion injuries (unless you really mess up). Those old fashioned floppy "work gloves" are indeed very dangerous in many applications in the workshop. Use your head and use the right safety gear and you will be fine.
Those are what I was using when i got caught up in my drill press. the finger of the glove was torn, but it did not come off. Luckily, the drive belt slipped, giving me time to turn off the drill press. Never wearing gloves at the drill press again. I agree that the closer the fit, the better. I do use these for grinding (I don't use a work rest) pre heat treat. I am trying out the tape, in hopes of not having to deal with making sure I lay gloves out to dry after wet grinding, lest they get funky. And not the Tower of Power kind of funky.

Last edited:
Wearing any type of gloves when operating a drill press, lathe or open milling machine is asking to get maimed or killed... It's happened many times.

Back