Grinding gloves

The knit, spectra fibre/dyneema cut resistant gloves are great for rough grinding if you can stand it. They're the fiber version of UHM, and highly heat and abrasion resistant, and won't melt.

I grind a lot of small stuff so typically I simply can't stand using gloves because of lack of tactile feedback, and there's too much bulk to support the spine of a 1/10" tapering to nothing blade.

I was given a set of those rhino finger things, the neoprene finger gloves, and have to say, they're actually pretty awesome if you can keep track of them. Probably not for everyone, but I definitely recommend giving them a try.

I'm not too worried about gloves around a belt grinder, just based on the action, as someone who's run his finger all the way around the wheels underneath the belt once. Fortunately with a contact wheel and not a flat platen, it was scary as hell, and hurt, but I was drunk so under god's famous protection of such fools, and not severely injured.

Definitely won't wear them around drills, lathe, mill, or similar shit. They can wrap a glove and your hand or fingers off, pretty easily, but I don't see the danger as much with a 2x72, just because there's not that much to attached to around the drive wheel. Not saying you can't get hurt, but it seems significantly less likely.

if my hands are getting hot, the steel is too hot. time to dip and slow down. never wearing gloves when using 2x72 or saws. there are 4 or 5 pinch points on my grinder where a glove could get caught.

Back