Grinding... Zero to Hero

I know it takes skill to make any kind of decent knife. And for the people that use jigs, more power to them. I'm not saying using jigs is a bad thing, but it is easier to produce consistant grinds using them. If it wasn't, then there'd be no reason to use one at all. There are obviously benefits to using jigs... I'm not denying that. If I was cranking out blades to meet a deadline, or using the craft as a primary source of income, I would use a jig. Using jigs effectively is actually on my list of things I would like to learn. All I'm saying is that I want to learn freehand grinding and develop my feel for it first to build a solid foundation for my future blades.

I agree people should start out without the aid of a jig. I think it helps you understand the mechanics of grinding a blade. I have done several freehand.
I also don't see anything wrong with the use of a jig. It does help with consistency.
I guess the point I was trying to make is that the use of a jig doesn't mean that someone is not a knifemaker. It's just like I feel about stock removal versus forging. All are just a different way to a similar result......a knife.

Expensive relative to what? :) What would you spend to take two years off your learning curve? If you saved the cost of your throw aways; what price would you consider fare? This tool not only improves your grinds on day one, it makes all patterns repeatable and it cuts your grinding time almost in half.
The Bubble Jig is a patented product but I would encourage you to try and make one :) Heck, I'll even give you whatever help you need. I will say that like many things that appear to be very simple to produce, this is one of those. Getting everything to work as a unit is challenging.
We have shipped over 3,000 Bubble Jigs with a money back guarantee, over the last 8 years and have only had one refund; I called the man who returned it, helped him to understand what he was doing wrong; I shipped the tool back to him, no charge.

There is a reason we ship close to 500 of these annually and it's the fact that they work as advertised, with many makers saying its the best money they have spent in the shop.

Let me know if you want to build a Bubble Jig.

Regards, Fred

Fred, I wasn't trying to say anything bad about the Bubble Jig when I said I might be able to replicate it. I appreciate the offer to help me build one, but I can understand that it would be a pretty big waste if I made it and it didn't work, and I lose out on more belts, more steel, and even more time. Personally, I'm not a big fan of wasting time. The research I've done seems to all be in favor of the Bubble Jig. I'll send you a PM.

Fred, I wasn't trying to say anything bad about the Bubble Jig when I said I might be able to replicate it. I appreciate the offer to help me build one, but I can understand that it would be a pretty big waste if I made it and it didn't work, and I lose out on more belts, more steel, and even more time. Personally, I'm not a big fan of wasting time. The research I've done seems to all be in favor of the Bubble Jig. I'll send you a PM.
Good Morning Sir! We have based our business on trying to be helpful to the knife makers we serve. Reputation is everything when working within so small a community; I've always believed this. I've heard it all and took no offence at your comments. I meant what I said about helping you make one; it always makes me smile when I have this conversation because there are so many little tweaks and twist that are needed to make it what it is. My son and I have over the last 9 years, refined the process where there is little effort wasted. It's been a long haul. Heck, I'm a knife maker at heart, this thing just overtook me. Today I make BJ's and make a knife when I find the time. Let me know if i can be of help to you.
Regards, Fred Rowe

I might be able to free hand grind better if I had a variable speed grinder, but when the belt is moving at a constant 5400 sfpm is kinda tough.

Back