GSO 2.7 Mockup

For fun (or maybe out of obsession?) I printed a mockup of the 2.7 to scale and compared it to my 3.5 and medium+ hands. It looks really, really promising! The blade is really short (obviously), but the handle seems to be sized ok for my hands and better contoured than the 3.5… I hope this helps someone, it definitely made my decision. :)

gso27_1.jpg

gso27_2.jpg

gso27_3.jpg

gso27_4.jpg

Nice mock-up! I don't know why that 2.7 is so fascinating to me, but it dang sure is. I can't wait to see one of these actually built. Any chance these are going to be full flat ground?

My mind wants to keep comparing this to an ESEE izula II. I compared the specs and they were similar, but seeing it in hand really does it for me. Nice work!

My mind wants to keep comparing this to an ESEE izula II. I compared the specs and they were similar, but seeing it in hand really does it for me. Nice work!

It's very close to the izula 2 isn't it? But I believe the 2.7 ergonomics will be superior (and steel of course!)

It's very close to the izula 2 isn't it? But I believe the 2.7 ergonomics will be superior (and steel of course!)

and none of that garbage coating esee use's, better scales, ergo and geo. The only thing I keep photoshopping out is the ricasso/choil for a flush cutting edge and some better sliceability for culinary tasks without banging ones knuckles on your cutting surface. Looking at the handle there seems to be alot of emphasis on grip retention especially the swell at the bottom of the handle, as well as the flare out at the end, which is probably great for guys with larger hands, but may require some stock removal for those of us with smaller medium hands to get a better fit. All in all I really like where it's headed.

TfXRNlZ.png

The only thing I keep photoshopping out is the ricasso/choil for a flush cutting edge and some better sliceability for culinary tasks without banging ones knuckles on your cutting surface.

So, I'm getting a bit off-topic here, but yesterday I was dreaming of a GSO Chefs Knife. I'd be first inline for a GSO 10-Chef and a GSO 3 pairing knife... ;)

gsochefmock.png

So, I'm getting a bit off-topic here, but yesterday I was dreaming of a GSO Chefs Knife. I'd be first inline for a GSO 10-Chef and a GSO 3 pairing knife... ;)

gsochefmock.png

That's where my mind was too! Seemed like a great outdoor knife with some serious culinary potential, but I'd love to see a culinary line from S!K. Maybe next years starter program ;)

I dont get the squared pumel.

The pommel is squared so that someone with a smaller hand could still feasibly use it for light hammering tasks. The pommel will still be exposed a little bit beyond the handle. For larger hands it is more about retention, keeping the pommel area flared so that your back finger(s) are more likely to stay on the handle rather than slip off the back.

The pommel is squared so that someone with a smaller hand could still feasibly use it for light hammering tasks. The pommel will still be exposed a little bit beyond the handle. For larger hands it is more about retention, keeping the pommel area flared so that your back finger(s) are more likely to stay on the handle rather than slip off the back.
It seems to me the knives I have used and made that the back being rounded makes them much more usable. Especially in a small knife where you are going to be doing alot of smaller work task needing various hand grips. It just seems like some blister builders in such a small design. 2cents
With something that small a more broom style handle would be more effective IMO. Thats another thing that confused me on the 10 was the back is square where if you wanted a power chop you grabbing a square blister block. I want to buy a 5 but see myself grinding that part down.

Last edited:
It seems to me the knives I have used and made that the back being rounded makes them much more usable. Especially in a small knife where you are going to be doing alot of smaller work task needing various hand grips. It just seems like some blister builders in such a small design. 2cents
With something that small a more broom style handle would be more effective IMO. Thats another thing that confused me on the 10 was the back is square where if you wanted a power chop you grabbing a square blister block. I want to buy a 5 but see myself grinding that part down.

I guess I honestly just never felt what you're talking about when using them. There has always been enough handle around the pommel area to avoid any sort of discomfort, at least in my experience and I almost exclusively use my stuff with a bare hand.

My cnc guy has been pretty busy with shop problems but we're slowly making some headway in bringing the designs to life in 3D. Below is a couple of more handle specific GSO-2.7 shots.

2015-03-18 07.40.26.jpg 2015-03-18 07.41.57.jpg

I really do like the way the handles taper forward towards the blade! Perfect for that pinch grip on the blade. Are the pins supposed to be hollow or is that just the model sans hardware?

I really do like the way the handles taper forward towards the blade! Perfect for that pinch grip on the blade. Are the pins supposed to be hollow or is that just the model sans hardware?

Yeah, the fasteners just weren't rendered in there yet. You'll notice the the bevels aren't quite modeled in there yet either.

Back