GSO 2.7 passaround and signup thread

I sent blade #1 to Tex on tuesday morning. They said he should have it by friday

A little foreshadowing for what I'll be involved with this weekend. Fun fact: I have Grog to thank for pointing me towards this awesome and low priced Bourbon. Here's to you, Grog!

My size small Mechanix fast fit gloves to give reference for my hand size.

My concerns about the pommel of the knife being uncomfortable are totally gone. In making the try stick I didn't even think about the handle, which tells me it was a good fit, comfortable and functional.

I'm right handed any my right thumb enjoyed the smooth spine. My left thumb ends up pushing on the angle of the spine (poor technique???) and feels sore as I type this a bit after trying the stick. This still surprises me because in my job I work with my hands constantly. I regularly type on a computer keyboard and just the other day I walked into a room that was dark and I used my hand to turn the light switch on.

Please don't compare me to Standard, the undisputed king of SURVIVE! try sticks :D

I liked how it sliced the apple. The blade didn't feel as wedgy as my 3.5 when cutting food.

The logos. Can y'all tell why this beauty was tossed into the seconds pile?

Last edited:
Great work on the try stick man. That Evan Williams is just about impossible to beat for the $$ I think, glad you like it. Good job putting that thing to work!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Four things:

1) I saved that maple-leaf pic to use as desktop wallpaper - Sweet pic, Silver :thumbup:

2) Hah! I've been buying Evan Williams at CostCo, there's a bottle sitting on my kitchen counter waiting for me :)

3) Those Mechanix gloves say both "small" and "US 8". This confuses me because "small" is to small for me, but in surgical gloves I wear sizes 7-7.5, size 8 surgical gloves are too large. :p stupid non-uniform size numbers.

4) For those with pass-around #1, pics of the Azwelke sheath? Hunter & Riz, what was you preferred way to carry the knife?

Last edited:
The aszwelke sheath was nice but I honestly only got one day's use out of it and that day it was carried in my gear bag.

It has arrived. Sorry pm'so are down right now as I'm not a gold member, subscription has passed.

As for the knife I scored it just in time to take out this weekend. Managed to get two consecutive days off so I'm hitting the woods tomorrow night if all goes as planned. So I hope to get a bit of use out of this Lil guy in the woods. I'm also gonna take it to work for a little EDC time.

Thanks again grogimus. Shot me a email of where it's headed after me.

I'm a +1 on Evan Williams whiskey too, great for the price.

Tex, I know it has three different sheathes with it now, but if you carry it in the leather one let us know what you think of it. Its nice that there is an easily obtainable leather option for those that dont like kydex or want to wait for a custom elather sheath

Have fun in the woods. i know you have been working hard so that time is well deserved!

Great work on the try stick man. That Evan Williams is just about impossible to beat for the $$ I think, glad you like it. Good job putting that thing to work!

That 2.7 does look very much at home in your mitt.
Thanks for the review!

Four things:

1) I saved that maple-leaf pic to use as desktop wallpaper - Sweet pic, Silver :thumbup:

2) Hah! I've been buying Evan Williams at CostCo, there's a bottle sitting on my kitchen counter waiting for me :)

3) Those Mechanix gloves say both "small" and "US 8". This confuses me because "small" is to small for me, but in surgical gloves I wear sizes 7-7.5, size 8 surgical gloves are too large. :p stupid non-uniform size numbers.

4) For those with pass-around #1, pics of the Azwelke sheath? Hunter & Riz, what was you preferred way to carry the knife?
Thanks, guys! This passaround is a lot of fun and makes me anxious to receive my own 2.7.

Yeah, Grog, great bourbon. The only bad thing is after a couple nights of try sticking and feather sticking, my bottle is empty!

Chiral, I'm honored! Enjoy that pic!
Good call on the bourbon.
Interesting about the glove sizes. Must be the same as shoes and t-shirts.

Would someone shown us the azwelke sheath already?! Or did I already miss a pic of it somewhere? :)

My thoughts on the sheath............

Of course it is pretty typical for SURVIVE! sheaths: high quality, great fit and retention, good size.

I had fantasies of wearing the knife horizontal on my belt just to the left of my belt buckle to cross draw with my right hand. I imagined the overall small dimensions of the knife would make it comfortable and out of the way.

I could not find a good angle to capture how the screws line up with the holes, but in trying to show how they do not fit in this horizontal position. I was really surprised to see that the holes aren't spaced the same horizontally as vertically.

This is the best I could do for Horizontal carry. One screw in the hole and one in the slot.

This is what I imagined, nice and tight carry.

This is what I got.

I definitely don't need anything else dangling uncontrollably in this general region.

The sheath is definitely not a deal breaker for me, I was just surprised my assumption was wrong. I sent know anything about bending kydex or designing sheaths and clips, but if the clip could be configured to attach horizontally closer to the top of the sheath and the balance point of the knife, I would find that useful in most models.

Overall this is an awesome little knife that is fun to use. I could really see this little guy working well with he GSO 12. If I had something bigger I think the 2.7 could handle all the fine wood work and food prep that I would need.

I'm really glad to have been included in this passaround. THANK YOU, GROG!!!!!

I'll be contacting the proper authorities on how to get this blade to the next recipient.

Awesome, Silver. The only real gripe I had with the 2.7 is that the sheath seems a bit much for such a little fella. Can't wait to see Azwelke's sheath for it. Let's see those try sticks man!

Here are some pics from the "New GSO 2.7 Thread" of the Azwelke sheaths.

I didn't even order my 2.7 with a sheath; I too think it's a little over sized.

Here are some pics of the sheath I made for mine.

Four things:

I just clipped the knife inside my pocket mostly. I did not get a chance to use the Azwelke sheath but the design and size along with his craftsmanship made it perfect. I think I mentioned it before if I ever found a 2.7 reasonably priced I'd pick up that sheath in a heartbeat.

here's a few pics of the sheath on our knife...

azwelke, that's awesome! Great work!

That attachment looks awesome and there's something about carbon fiber that gets me all warm and tingly.

No woods time, family time battery needed a recharge, so I didn't break away. But I did carry it in the S! Sheath and the leather. I liked the leather sheath, it was very comfortable and I hardly noticed it on my hip. A nice option for those like me who prefer it. More at a later date.

For those needing horizontal carry on the stock sheath, a spyderco G-clip and Tek-Lok will both work, as will the leather belt-loop included with every UKE:

M9UzwMbST4WqPniOpVHMYTuvH5nkG20WLNpkeDD__s7n6g0PUZZ0wbyliG88TWD7Ssh38na79d_31A=w1920-h1200-no

-JXCyPW6TC7e9LWbtfRgb0044vPF7Mj3hqckUHpgO79iVUh-zt5oVNujjG4Zkpqkzc22ZCs6mcCQQQ=w1920-h1200-no

BjIUyTT2pETBWz7aU2xYaum2wEitQobxkE7dDXGSoMtOA4VKOWcSjZ7-qvnImW6XnOcg1L_IoQmZEw=w1920-h1200-no

Back