Guaging interest in a run of Camp/Fighters

Darrin Sanders

Knifemaker
Here is a link to some pics and info. on a Camp/Fighter I made. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...Ankerson-Collaberation-Camp-Knife-Fighter#top

If you're interested in one make a post here letting me know. I'm gonna do a limited run and the total number will depend on how many people are interested. I haven't decided on a steel yet so feel free to give me some input at what your top 3 choices would be. I'm leaning toward CPM-4V but wont rule out anything reasonable. Base price will be $400 + shipping with Micarta scales, no bolsters, & a Kydex sheath. Upgrades such as bolsters, other handle materials, & leather sheaths can be had for a little extra. If you want something other than a basic model just get with me on the specifics on what you want and I'll be glad to give you a firm quote.
If you have any questions feel free to PM, email, or call me using the contact info. listed below.

Put me down for one in either 4V or 10V. With bolsters and if possible, Shade Tree herringbone micarta. I'd also like a dangler with the kydex sheath if possible.
I've got both 4V and 10V knives and am extremely impressed with the performance of both steel. I'm not worried about rust/corrosion with this steel. With proper care/maintenance, it does just fine.

hi Darrin,
Either steel would be very acceptable I am sure, but my preference is 4V. No bolster (not a fan of metal on handles, exposed tangs are bad enough). Plain old canvas micarta works fine for me. So does kydex sheath. What are you thinking for time frame for making them and for a firm commitment from buyer?
Great design and execution, and Jim's testing points to a real winner!

I did some research and the first run of these will be limited to a maximum of 20. I'll let this thread go until 4/15/16 or until I get commitments for 20 knives. At that point, I will contact everyone and get firm commitments. After that, I'll get materials ordered and go from there. Due to many variables, I do NOT set delivery dates. I will say that this is what I do for a living so the sooner I get your knife made the sooner I get paid.
Right now, I'm looking at 4V and the thickness with scale is .172"-.188" and will finish out somewhere around .160"-.175" which is a heavy 5/32". I'm thinking that the 4V will allow for a full flat grind which will cut even better, be lighter, & still be tough enough for the type of work these knives will see. The finish on these knives will be MUCH better because 4V is easier to finish than 10V. I can put a nice 400X satin working finish on 4V with no problem.
I like to work closely with my customers so feel free to email or call at any time during the process. If I've never worked with you before, I look forward to doing so and hope to get to know you guys better. My contact info. is listed below and I don't mind calls. Actually, I enjoy talking with most of my customers and several have become pretty good friends. As a matter of fact Surfingringo will be here at 08:00 tomorrow to pick up a couple of knives. I know everyone can't pick up knives in person but I still enjoy talking knives whenever possible.
Once everything gets set in motion, I will keep everyone posted when a major step is complete such as materials ordered, received, blanks profiled, H/T complete, etc., etc., etc.. Once I start on individual knives I'll keep y'all informed via email or telephone.
Thanks for the interest.

Put me down for one in either 4V or 10V. With bolsters and if possible, Shade Tree herringbone micarta. I'd also like a dangler with the kydex sheath if possible.
I've got both 4V and 10V knives and am extremely impressed with the performance of both steel. I'm not worried about rust/corrosion with this steel. With proper care/maintenance, it does just fine.

Sounds good. I'm willing to use any bolster/handle material available. If I don't have it in stock, I'll order it. I've never done a dangler but I have a buddy who does them all the time and I'm sure he can walk me through it. I am of the opinion that well used and cared for tools should have a bit of patina on them. I find that it adds character. Kinda like worn bluing and a few scratches on a Walnut stock on an old rifle or shotgun.
I look forward to working with you.

hi Darrin,
Either steel would be very acceptable I am sure, but my preference is 4V. No bolster (not a fan of metal on handles, exposed tangs are bad enough). Plain old canvas micarta works fine for me. So does kydex sheath. What are you thinking for time frame for making them and for a firm commitment from buyer?
Great design and execution, and Jim's testing points to a real winner!

Micarta & Kydex it is! I'll contact you about your color choices before I order materials. See my other post about commitments & time frames.
I look forward to working wit you.

Sounds like a good plan. One last general question - I'll keep specifics for mine for email.
Is there a minimum number you'd need to proceed, or if it is less than 20 you'd go ahead anyway? I honestly did not have this on my radar, but when I saw the design and know your reputation for quality materials and craftsmanship, that combined with the very reasonable price makes this hard to pass up. I can imagine others coming to the same conclusion, but you never know at any given time.
Thanks for the opportunity.

Yes, I will do less than 20 but no more than that. I can always do another run later if there is enough interest.

I will commit to one. I like this design! Don't have anything in 4V yet. Mic arts and kydex. Thank you Sir.

I'll get back with you on this tomorrow or you can call me at the number below for an explanation.

Back