Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Chin
I'm a little late to the party, but I just saw your post. You have really created a wonderful piece - from drawing ( which I like in and of themselves), to creating a friendship, to fabrication and execution. Exciting stuff ! Thanks for sharing it all and I too look forward to hearing your thoughts on how it performs and how this endeavor evolves :cool:

Treated myself to a new sharpener, and after testing it out on some garbage kitchen knives I decided to refine the edge on my Michael May lambsfoot. And boy what a slicer I ended up with!

oyWi4Py.jpg
I was just looking at Michael Mays website, what do you think of his knives, is the build quality any good ?

Thanks for the further info Jack - Lambshank probably works ok as a bit of a tongue-in-cheek nickname among knife folk in the know.;)

If/when in the future I might be able to make some more, I would like to do some slight variants - one in a pocket sheath with a small torch, another with a firesteel etc and I will save up the names everyone suggested for different types.

Thanks for the suggestions, my friends!:):cool:

Looking forward to seeing more of your Lambshank my friend, as well as seeing how the project develops :) :) :thumbsup:

I was just looking at Michael Mays website, what do you think of his knives, is the build quality any good ?

He set up in business after acquiring Trevor Ablett's old stock, following Trevor's death. Like Trevor, he gets his blades from Arthur Wright's. One of our contributors has one of his knives, and reports build quality and fit and finish as good :thumbsup:

Thanks for taking this thread to 50 pages folks :) :) :)

Chin
I'm a little late to the party, but I just saw your post. You have really created a wonderful piece - from drawing ( which I like in and of themselves), to creating a friendship, to fabrication and execution. Exciting stuff ! Thanks for sharing it all and I too look forward to hearing your thoughts on how it performs and how this endeavor evolves :cool:

Gev, your gracious and wise observations are always a pleasure to take in. Thanks for the compliment, my friend.:thumbsup::)

I must say, this is one of my absolute favorite threads. The combination of intelligent, inquisitive discourse, light-hearted fun, and fantastic show-and-tell makes it hard to beat. My sincere thanks go to everyone who contributes.

I was just thinking much the same thing, Greg - well said, my friend! :thumbsup:

I second those thanks to all those Guardians and visitors who make this one of the most enjoyable corners of the Porch.:cool::)

Also, as this thread reaches 50 pages, a big thank you to Jack Black for holding it all together in his inimitable and dedicated fashion.

It's quite the movement you've initiated, my friend! Even now, I can picture packages of Lambsfoot knives winging their way across the Atlantic, into the hand of someone who's never tried one before, thanks to your thread!

Here's an interesting Lambsfoot, to mark the occasion, from my friend @1500international 's collection.

This is an Australian market variant of the Lambsfoot by Joseph Rodgers, which goes by the catchy name of 'The Western Castrator'. (They even stamped that on the blade, just to remind you!)

0TKpnad.jpg

It features a full spey blade in addition to the Lambsfoot blade.

syREYsK.jpg

Come to think of it, that blade combo would be pretty handy - I'd get one, if they were still made in that model configuration.

Happy 50th, Lambsfoot thread!:D:cool:

5MivQkG.jpg

FEk1YWU.jpg

Last edited:
Indeed a wonderful thread, With Jack as the Mainstay - Jack Thank you my friend for your amazing input and contributions, well done to the Guardians of the Lambs-foot - and all who Contribute.

Gev, your gracious and wise observations are always a pleasure to take in. Thanks for the compliment, my friend.:thumbsup::)

I was just thinking much the same thing, Greg - well said, my friend! :thumbsup:

I second those thanks to all those Guardians and visitors who make this one of the most enjoyable corners of the Porch.:cool::)

Also, as this thread reaches 50 pages, a big thank you to Jack Black for holding it all together in his inimitable and dedicated fashion.

It's quite the movement you've initiated, my friend! Even now, I can picture packages of Lambsfoot knives winging their way across the Atlantic, into the hand of someone who's never tried one before, thanks to your thread!

Here's an interesting Lambsfoot, to mark the occasion, from my friend @1500international 's collection.

This is an Australian market variant of the Lambsfoot by Joseph Rodgers, which goes by the catchy name of 'The Western Castrator'. (They even stamped that on the blade, just to remind you!)

762C4D80-B436-487B-B591-63105997C606_zpsh2hsgwr3.jpg

It features a full spey blade in addition to the Lambsfoot blade.

2B84F0DF-5F1B-4412-B53E-1F35228274B0_zpsu071gvrd.jpg

Come to think of it, that blade combo would be pretty handy - I'd get one, if they were still made in that model configuration.

Happy 50th, Lambsfoot thread!:D:cool:

B144E83A-8974-4EF1-BEF3-1043805D7A16_zpsew125o2o.jpg

FEF6162F-B515-4FE5-BC66-91BC0777443C_zpsr25my00c.jpg

Thank you my friend, for this post, and for all your thoughtful, insightful, and enthusiastic contributions to this thread. I'm so pleased to see people appreciating the Lambsfoot pattern, particularly those who've not had an opportunity to try one before :)

'The Western Castrator' is a great-looking pattern, those old cutlers certainly didn't mince their words they they?! :D :thumbsup:

Great seeing those fabulous knives together :) Happy 50th Guardians! ;) :thumbsup:

AW SB Lambsfoot 17-7.jpg

Last edited:
No Jack- thats a THANK YOU my friend :):thumbsup:

Chin my friend, Not only did Joseph Rodgers use that term "Western Castrators ", But I have owned a couple of Solingen Jacks with the same Stamping on the Blade.
Also to add.... the Spey on the Stockman was always the Blade to use for Castration - and at times this Blade too was stamped as such on the more rare occasion and the more common " for Flesh only".

Thank you my friend, for this post, and for all your thoughtful, insightful, and enthusiastic contributions to this thread. I'm so pleased to see people appreciating the Lambsfoot pattern, particularly those who've not had an opportunity to try one before :)

Cheers Jack, I really appreciate that, and all the time and knowledge you put into your excellent threads and posts.:)

No Jack- thats a THANK YOU my friend :):thumbsup:

Chin my friend, Not only did Joseph Rodgers use that term "Western Castrators ", But I have owned a couple of Solingen Jacks with the same Stamping on the Blade.
Also to add.... the Spey on the Stockman was always the Blade to use for Castration - and at times this Blade too was stamped as such on the more rare occasion and the more common " for Flesh only".

That's really interesting about the Solingen made Western Castrators, Duncan Campbellclanman Campbellclanman . Do you know if any of them featured Lambsfoot style blades, or were they just spey/castrator blades? There was another version of the Western Castrator too, which had dual full length speys.

Last edited:

Hear, hear!

Jer, you can put a swedge on the top of the spine, from just behind the tip to about 1/3 or 1/2 way back. That narrows the spine and allows you to restore a thin taper out to the tip, while maintaining the flats. You start at a 45 degree angle and adjust from there. This helps cutting in thick material too, like heavy cardboard, and helps prevent the blade from 'steering' offline.
Thanks. Maybe I'm not done fooling with it.

Thanks Jer. I can understand now what you were describing. I think I see a little difference, but my eyes might be fooling me.

By the way. Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow?
A volume of essays dedicated to his oldest and strongest pipe. He promises in the foreword that "this book would not elevate a cow", but being a Victorian, he can't stop himself getting a little heavy in the middle of each essay.
Penguin may still own his "3 men" books, because all I can find free on Google is a magazine version that leaves some good stuff out. 3 Men in a Boat was insanely popular, with people recreating the journey in droves. 3M on the Bummel might be even funnier, where, 10 years later, they're taking a break from their wives and kids with a bicycling tour of Germany, rather than curing their malaise on the river. He also wrote a hit play, The Passing of the Third Floor Back, drove an ambulance in WWI, and published his autobiography in 1926, one year before he died.

Thanks Bartleby! Good advice. I will follow it, if I can remember long enough:( By the way. Any thoughts about Ren Wax on horn?
I have not used the Ren Wax, but Chin's advice is always to be heeded IMHO. I was suddenly overrun by my daughter's end of term house guests and had to leave the porch in a hurry last evening, sorry to have vanished without reply.

A volume of essays dedicated to his oldest and strongest pipe. He promises in the foreword that "this book would not elevate a cow", but being a Victorian, he can't stop himself getting a little heavy in the middle of each essay.
Penguin may still own his "3 men" books, because all I can find free on Google is a magazine version that leaves some good stuff out. 3 Men in a Boat was insanely popular, with people recreating the journey in droves. 3M on the Bummel might be even funnier, where, 10 years later, they're taking a break from their wives and kids with a bicycling tour of Germany, rather than curing their malaise on the river. He also wrote a hit play, The Passing of the Third Floor Back, drove an ambulance in WWI, and published his autobiography in 1926, one year before he died.
I found "Idle Ideas in 1905" , "Novel Notes" and a number of other titles free on Amazon's Kindle app store. Haven't had time to read them yet.

On topic:Wright lambsfoot with sheath 002 resized.jpg

Last edited:
I found "Idle Ideas in 1905" , "Novel Notes" and a number of other titles free on Amazon's Kindle app store. Haven't had time to read them yet.

Thank you. Can't get enough of Jerome K. Jerome.

And, speaking of the topic, whatever I do to my Taylor, I've still got this wooden one from Jack to remind me what they look like.
iqCOwbl.jpg

Sorry about the lighting.

Last edited:
I have not used the Ren Wax, but Chin's advice is always to be heeded IMHO. I was suddenly overrun by my daughter's end of term house guests and had to leave the porch in a hurry last evening, sorry to have vanished without reply.
Thank you sir! I had to actually go to bed, falling asleep at my computer. So, no worries and thanks for the tips. I will heed Chin's advice:thumbsup:

All good stuff. I see the magazine excerpt on Google books but there isn't much else out there. Thanks for the update on the re-profiling. I see that you have an un modified copy to work from :)

On topic:
Thank you Rachel. I will look for one or more, see if I can catch up with you literary folk;)

Back