Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Thanks for bringing that Woodrow post over FBC!!:thumbsup:
I either missed it, or have forgotten it in my dotage!!:rolleyes:
A wonderful nightmare!!:D

It is good that Wrights are giving attention to such detail. Would you consider the larger or the shorter version to be more of a "Real Lamb Foot"? I recall at one point there was some discussion on this point but am not sure how it resolved. I find that I have tended to carry the shorter version more often, although the geometry makes the spring a bit stout. When first purchased it was like the bow of Odysseus, but now that it has burnished itself in through use I like it rather a lot.

Wow Chin! I love it! I wish I could buy one just like it. Amazing work. I think LambShank is a great name too.

I carried my favorite lambsfoot and a little Sheffield single blade pen knife this week. I recently made a couple pocket sheaths for them so I took a few pictures.

Lambsfoot%20Leather%201_zpscsgpybt5.jpg

e85b29e1-6b5f-480d-95aa-03e1651f847e_zpseq79n1us.jpg

Lambsfoot%20Leather%203_zpsxnl7hvk8.jpg
I tend to EDC pretty much the combination of Lambsfoot front pocket and Sheffield pen back pocket in similar slips. Amazing how much one can do being well heeled in this way. The only other knife that gets nearly as much pocket time is the Colonial 2205 stainless scout (especially in the summer months, when unexpected immersion is expected).

It is good that Wrights are giving attention to such detail. Would you consider the larger or the shorter version to be more of a "Real Lamb Foot"? I recall at one point there was some discussion on this point but am not sure how it resolved. I find that I have tended to carry the shorter version more often, although the geometry makes the spring a bit stout. When first purchased it was like the bow of Odysseus, but now that it has burnished itself in through use I like it rather a lot.

I think that both styles can genuinely be called a 'Real Lamb Foot', I have older examples of both (a couple in the larger size by William Rodgers below). I can do just about anything I need to with the smaller pattern, it takes up less space in my pocket, weighs less, and it's well under the 3" blade length for UK EDC carry (the larger ones are also under 3", but only just). The smaller pattern is also the one I've carried since childhood, so all things considered, it's not surprising that I have a slight preference for it :) I like your Odysseus analogy, and yes, I think the longer blade is a little easier to open :) :thumbsup:

William Rodgers Lambsfoot Knives.JPG

Last edited:
My particular smaller Wright's lamb foot was NOS from a few years back. Initially, I had to carefully open it with a coin! Like I say though it has since settled down and become a carry favorite. Come to think about it, the smaller version is just the ticket for the change pocket of jeans....

My particular smaller Wright's lamb foot was NOS from a few years back. Initially, I had to carefully open it with a coin! Like I say though it has since settled down and become a carry favorite. Come to think about it, the smaller version is just the ticket for the change pocket of jeans....

I can remember having to do that with the British Army Clasp Knife my granddad gave me as a kid! :D I do very much like a stiff pull on a pocket knife, and am hoping I've got all my favourite knives worn in for when I'm no longer strong enough to open them! :D :thumbsup:

This Saynor was pretty stiff :thumbsup:

Saynor Lambsfoot 1-3S.jpg

Last edited:
I think that both styles can genuinely be called a 'Real Lamb Foot', I have older examples of both (a couple in the larger size by William Rodgers below). I can do just about anything I need to with the smaller pattern, it takes up less space in my pocket, weighs less, and it's well under the 3" blade length for UK EDC carry (the larger ones are also under 3", but only just). The smaller pattern is also the one I've carried since childhood, so all things considered, it's not surprising that I have a slight preference for it :) I like your Odysseus analogy, and yes, I think the longer blade is a little easier to open :) :thumbsup:

My understanding of Odysseus greatly increased when I read his story as an older man.

I can remember having to do that with the British Army Clasp Knife my granddad gave me as a kid! :D I do very much like a stiff pull on a pocket knife, and am hoping I've got all my favourite knives worn in for when I'm no longer strong enough to open them! :D :thumbsup:

This Saynor was pretty stiff :thumbsup:

I am thinking that having blades that stand proud is the way to go in one's advanced years, in this way one can pinch open without using the nails. However this possibly may cause a change of focus in our collecting. Many years from now, rather than the Guardians of the Lambfoot, we may morph into the Pinchers of the Pruners....

My understanding of Odysseus greatly increased when I read his story as an older man.

It's been my favourite book since I was a boy :) I've read it many times (and studied it at school), and I think I enjoy it more every time :) That row with the suitors is quite a tussle isn't it?! ;) :thumbsup:

I am thinking that having blades that stand proud is the way to go in one's advanced years, in this way one can pinch open without using the nails. However this possibly may cause a change of focus in our collecting. Many years from now, rather than the Guardians of the Lambfoot, we may morph into the Pinchers of the Pruners....

LOL! :D I can pinch open most of my Lambsfoot blades, but I doubt that'll go on forever :rolleyes:

It's been my favourite book since I was a boy :) I've read it many times (and studied it at school), and I think I enjoy it more every time :) That row with the suitors is quite a tussle isn't it?! ;) :thumbsup:

LOL! :D I can pinch open most of my Lambsfoot blades, but I doubt that'll go on forever :rolleyes:
The mid life crisis aspect stands out to me now. I can resist Circe all day long, but Athene is another matter. The removal of the suitors in my mind is often a bit Sergio Leone/Sam Peckinpah. But that is my mind for ya....

Have you had a chance to examine the current Wright's work back versions of the Lambfoot? What is your opinion?

Last edited:
The mid life crisis aspect stands out to me now. I can resist Circe all day long, but Athene is another matter. The removal of the suitors in my mind is often a bit Sergio Leone/Sam Peckinpah. But that is my mind for ya....

Have you had a chance to examine the current Wright's work back versions of the Lambfoot? What is your opinion?

Ah Pallas Athene :) Maybe those gents had read Homer too ;) :thumbsup:

I'm lucky enough to have a couple, they're nice knives for sure, but I prefer the humbler versions really :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 729300 Hey Jack, I was doing a little digging this weekend on a search for the earliest known Lambsfoot folder. There have been some good discussions and history on the Sheepfoot folders which go way back, but the Lambsfoot models seem to be more recent by comparison. While there are plenty of Sheepfoot models shown in late 19th century Joseph Rodgers and Wostenholm catalogs, those two companies don't show any Lambsfoot models until after the turn of the 20th century. From one of your previous posts, we do know that Taylor's Eye Witness had Lambsfoot models in their 1897 catalog but how much earlier can we date these? The oldest I can find so far is from Thos. Makin & Son circa 1890 (with picture enclosed). Have you had any luck in tracking down more history on the Lambsfoot models?

Last edited:
Ah Pallas Athene :) Maybe those gents had read Homer too ;) :thumbsup:

I'm lucky enough to have a couple, they're nice knives for sure, but I prefer the humbler versions really :) :thumbsup:
True, the Lamb foot should be like its exported British cousin the Barlow, best as a proudly unembellished working man's knife

Thanks Bartleby! Good advice. I will follow it, if I can remember long enough:( By the way. Any thoughts about Ren Wax on horn?
I tried a bit of minwax on an older bit of horn that I had polished smooth, followed up by rubbing until warm with a bit of smooth leather. It burnished the horn to a very smooth glassy finish. I will see how well this holds up and let you know.

Back