Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

My Wright lambsfoot isn't bad either, but I also have a few knives that will pull the nail right out of my thumb. :)
Great pictures by the way!!!

Thanks my friend :)

In a nutshell, who was Don Whillans?

Great post-WW2 British climber and mountaineer, one of a pair of working-class lads from Lancashire, who set new standards for rock-climbing, and 'cocked a snook at the toffs' who had previously seen climbing and mountaineering as their sole preserve. Rarely without a drink in his hand or a fag (cigarette) on his bottom lip, and with a notoriously quarrelsome nature, and equally feared barbed wit. His drinking once led to the headline 'Five Foot Climber Floors Six Coppers'! :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Whillans

Forgive the recycled photo. I haven't posted this one in quite a while. I had it out " Oiling the Joints" and for a short CE and CF session so I thought I would let all you Guardians visit it again. This Humphreys Radiant is a splendid knife. Hoping you all have a great weekend! :)
18282674814_6dcfc6923e_b_d.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous Ron, always a treat to see your perfect Lambsfoot :) Thanks, and have a great weekend yourself :) :thumbsup:

Sad he's gone :( His routes still speak though :) An old pal of mine wrote his biography, I have it queued up :thumbsup: Tough man, I bet he could open a Lambsfoot with his teeth! :D :thumbsup:

1218220._UY450_SS450_.jpg

Thanks, I picked up 3 of those Saynors at the same time, Charlie and Duncan have the others :)

I keep meaning to visit, was just talking about it with the volunteer at the mill the other day. Most days my bread comes from York anyway :thumbsup:

http://www.bluebirdbakery.co.uk/

I'll be carrying this one tomorrow :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 737889

Great choice Jack.
Traditional knives and traditional trains! Enjoy the day!

I'd heard of Don Whillans but didn't realize his significance to British climbing. Thanks for the reading suggestion; I'll see if I can chase down that book. I still have a couple of (ex)climbing buds in Sheffield; one of whom has a quite a library of climbing and outdoor books.

If you like your bread may I suggest:
http://haxbybakehouse.co.uk/

Forgive the recycled photo. I haven't posted this one in quite a while. I had it out " Oiling the Joints" and for a short CE and CF session so I thought I would let all you Guardians visit it again. This Humphreys Radiant is a splendid knife. Hoping you all have a great weekend! :)
18282674814_6dcfc6923e_b_d.jpg

Having not followed this thread as closely as I should of I've never seen that before. That's a stunning knife you have there :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Absolutely gorgeous Ron, always a treat to see your perfect Lambsfoot :) Thanks, and have a great weekend yourself :) :thumbsup:

Having not followed this thread as closely as I should of I've never seen that before. That's a stunning knife you have there :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you gentlemen most kindly. I owe it all to Mr. Black and his willingness to share his knowledge and many wonderful photos and stories over the time I have been active on this forum that peaked by interest and awareness of this fine pattern. I am very proud to own this example.

I surprised myself by reading that as The Vulcan/ Don Williams. Thanks for the disambiguation.
(I had an uncle named Don Williams, definitely Terran-born.)

Sad he's gone :( His routes still speak though :) An old pal of mine wrote his biography, I have it queued up :thumbsup: Tough man, I bet he could open a Lambsfoot with his teeth! :D :thumbsup:

Thanks, I picked up 3 of those Saynors at the same time, Charlie and Duncan have the others :)

I keep meaning to visit, was just talking about it with the volunteer at the mill the other day. Most days my bread comes from York anyway :thumbsup:

http://www.bluebirdbakery.co.uk/

I'll be carrying this one tomorrow :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 737889
Always such interesting stuff Jack. Good post, again:thumbsup:

Great choice Jack.
Traditional knives and traditional trains! Enjoy the day!

I'd heard of Don Whillans but didn't realize his significance to British climbing. Thanks for the reading suggestion; I'll see if I can chase down that book. I still have a couple of (ex)climbing buds in Sheffield; one of whom has a quite a library of climbing and outdoor books.

If you like your bread may I suggest:
http://haxbybakehouse.co.uk/

Thanks my friend, very bad weather this morning caused a change of plan I'm afraid. Ended up going to see the new Dunkirk film instead :thumbsup:

A towering figure fore sure Donn :thumbsup:

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm planning to walk up the (River) Fosse to Haxby soon, so will check it out :) :thumbsup:

Thank you gentlemen most kindly. I owe it all to Mr. Black and his willingness to share his knowledge and many wonderful photos and stories over the time I have been active on this forum that peaked by interest and awareness of this fine pattern. I am very proud to own this example.

You're very generous Ron :) That may well be the finest Lambsfoot I've seen to date! :) :thumbsup:

I surprised myself by reading that as The Vulcan/ Don Williams. Thanks for the disambiguation.
(I had an uncle named Don Williams, definitely Terran-born.)

LOL! I used to know a Don Williams, Head Botanist of Sheffield Botanical Gardens! :D :thumbsup:

Always such interesting stuff Jack. Good post, again:thumbsup:

Thank you my friend, you're very kind :) :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is having a great weekend :thumbsup:

The William Rodgers Lambsfoot Charlie very kindly gifted me a while back may very well be my best :) :thumbsup:

William Rodgers Jigged Bone Lambsfoot 1-1S.JPG

You're very generous Ron :) That may well be the finest Lambsfoot I've seen to date! :) :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is having a great weekend :thumbsup:

The William Rodgers Lambsfoot Charlie very kindly gifted me a while back may very well be my best :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 738451

Thanks Jack! :) Your William Rodgers is a very fine one indeed! :thumbsup: And that Charlie fellow, well his generosity and contributions to us all, just as yours my friend, are of the highest caliber! :D

The exploits of Mr Whillans are etched in my head from reading Sir Bonnigton's epic "Annapurna South Face". Required reading for anyone who goes into the mountains.

Thanks my friend :)

Great post-WW2 British climber and mountaineer, one of a pair of working-class lads from Lancashire, who set new standards for rock-climbing, and 'cocked a snook at the toffs' who had previously seen climbing and mountaineering as their sole preserve. Rarely without a drink in his hand or a fag (cigarette) on his bottom lip, and with a notoriously quarrelsome nature, and equally feared barbed wit. His drinking once led to the headline 'Five Foot Climber Floors Six Coppers'! :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Whillans

Thanks Jack, He sounds like a fascinating guy with probably more than a few good stories. :)
Did you ever meet or know him?

Thanks Jack, He sounds like a fascinating guy with probably more than a few good stories. :)
Did you ever meet or know him?

I'm afraid I never did my friend :( I've met a lot of famous climbers, but Don died in 1985. I did write a short piece about him for one of my climbing columns though, and I've enjoyed climbing some of his bold and outstanding routes :thumbsup:

My Lambsfoot of the day ;)

A.Wright SB Large Lambsfoot 7-7.JPG

Last edited:
My Lambsfoot of the day ;)

View attachment 739378

In a moment of sheer idiocy/fantasy, I imagined a Lambsfoot cam(era), editing you out, and showing that beautiful Lambsfoot floating around Sheffield, with all the old buildings/cutleries in the background.:eek: I even saw a pint, and a plate of bangers and mash slowly disappearing before our eyes!!:eek::eek:

Now, now boys!! No need for the jacket! I'll go quietly!!!!!!:oops:

:D:D

I even saw a pint, and a plate of bangers and mash slowly disappearing before our eyes!!:eek::eek:

No need for a jacket. you have achieved Satori and are having a Beatific Vision. Please sit for another pint!

In a moment of sheer idiocy/fantasy, I imagined a Lambsfoot cam(era), editing you out, and showing that beautiful Lambsfoot floating around Sheffield, with all the old buildings/cutleries in the background.:eek: I even saw a pint, and a plate of bangers and mash slowly disappearing before our eyes!!:eek::eek:

:D:D

No need for a jacket. you have achieved Satori and are having a Beatific Vision. Please sit for another pint!

:D :thumbsup:

Nice knife, Jack :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Jake :thumbsup:

Back