Handgun Carry in the Woods?

How do you carry a handgun in the woods? Do you typically conceal it? I generally just carry in a belt holster as I am not really concerned about a "fast draw" in most cases. Even if I carry something that I think is for bear protection, I still use a typical belt holster.

I belt carry in a Simply Rugged sourdough pancake w/ strap (open carry) or carry in a possibles bag if I am hunting.

I don't live in a part of the country that has a big threat of predators victimizing hikers/campers, so I usually just keep it in my carry pack I use when I go out.

I also have an elastic IWB conceal and carry holster that is actually very comfortable and keeps my pistol secure, even during running/jumping motions. I use this in unfamiliar areas and/or evening time. The main reason for that, though, is I just like to carry because it is my right to do so. :)

Im not worried about animals . I carry a Ruger Mark II on my belt if I'm in a private spot away from people . Its just so much fun to shoot .If I need something concealed I sometimes carry a S&W 38 revolver but its a hassle . . I'm going to get a small 22 something that can be carried in the front pocket .

I carry a gun for the same reason I go out wood bumming in the first place. I enjoy it. And end up putting at least a few rounds through it almost every time. I typically just grab whatever strikes my fancy that day, and sometimes take more than one for some practice or plinking. I normally carry in a regular belt holster, but it may end up concealed if I'm wearing a coat.

In NY we have to carry concealed except when hunting. Black bears are not usually a problem unless you do something stupid. Normally they're gone before you notice them. NY and PA now have coyotes and the coyote-cross-wolf that weighs 80-90 lbs . Don't know of any attacks though. I do know of a case of someone coming across two murderers who just had buried their latest victim !! Carry it in a comfortable holster and keep your eyes open.

I'm not too worried about black bears regardless of what I said earlier. As a result, I often have a 22 revolver on me. I just ordered a Bianchi holster for my new S&W M63. Haven't even shot it yet and have had it for about a month which bums me out. Sometimes I carry my S&W Mountain Gun (M57) in 41 mag for giggles, but it is heavier than I like if I am walking much. I mostly do woods bumming anyway.

I have a CCW permit that I got not only for concealed carry but because it allows me to carry on National Forrest lands when there is no firearms hunting season. I have a dedicated "woods bumming bag" that holds a few essential items along with a handgun plus extra ammo. On occasions when I don't carry the bag I usually just wear a handgun on my belt. There's very little human traffic most places I hike. On the rare occasions when I do hike on established trails I conceal from the sheeple I may encounter along the way.

I carry in a flapped pouch holster on my pack belt.

The one time I could have righteously used it I was too busy holding the off-leash dogs at bay with the point of my hiking stick using two hands and completely forgot the gun.

Asshole owners with 5 vicious off-leash dogs. The alpha was a Rhodesian Ridgeback that wanted to show the others how to get me. I'd stepped off the trail to give way and was pretty much cornered. Fortunately the RR was taken by the collar before anything actually happened.

I carry a Kel-Tec PMR 30 in a full flap holster on my belt. I don't worry about black bears. I once flushed a cow moose with two calves, which had the potential to be a dangerous woods encounter.

I carry concealed. I'm not worried about bears, I have chased off many black bears from camp, but mountain lions are plentiful where I go. And unless I am backpacking multiple days into the back country, there is always the issue of the two-legged predators.

I belt carry about 25% of the time I go out. I live in bear and cougar country. And I frequently hike with an off leash dog. A few years ago I met with our State's bear trapper (Dept. of Fish & Wildlife). He told me that the last 5 bear attacks at that time were all on people who hiked with off leash dogs. The dog would discover the bear and molest it. The bear would turn on the dog. The dog would run back to the master and drop a pissed off bear in your lap. Not a fun way to end a hike. With black bear and cougars I'm happy with either a 357 or 9mm. Never had to use it. Whenever I've seen bear I've been able to gather the dog and watch the bear high tail it away. Or I've been without the dog and watched the bear high tail it. Only seen a cougar once and I was in the car.

After my first long hike with an IWB holster I knew I had to find a better setup. I went with a Hill People Gear chest pack, which lets me have anything from a sub-compact to full-sized handgun, spare mag(s) and plenty of other outdoor essentials (flashlight, lighter, first aid, water filtration) right in front of me. The contents have changed over time, but here are a couple of pics:

dK9P2i3.jpg

tBEixA1.jpg

Yes, I prefer to camp where I can shoot, so open while camping. Concealed if hiking on a trail or near people.

I have my CCW here in CA and generally carry for two legged predator protection. Generally a Glock 23 on a IWB or on occasion my S&W 686 plus or 629. We have the risks of coming across illegal marijuana crops and some white supremacist groups. Never had to use my sidearm backpacking or hiking, but had to use a rifle to deter some interesting individuals after the drove by our rural campsite and started firing. The two men exited their vehicle as myself, wife, and two friends hid. I'll never forget the fear in my wife's eyes as they approached laughing with guns in hand. Fortunately, I had brought a few guns for target shooting that weekend. Never had a chance to figure out what they were doing and why because I ended up firing an entire 30 round mag to warn them. After that they turned around and went back to their truck and left. Turns out after speaking with some friends at the sheriff's department we were camping in a area with white supremacists and where they grow marijuana crops. I still enjoy going into the woods, but always carry a firearm. It's extra weight but I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Took nearly a decade before my wife would camp again in that area. Now, she doesn't ask me if I'm carrying or why I'm throwing an AR in the back of the truck. There's nothing macho or cool about it and we're just glad that we weren't defenseless victims. I will honestly say I was scared and it happened fast, but at the time it seemed like eternity. Hope I never have to be in a situation again where I have to discharge a firearm again in that situation.

Wow. You must have been really frightened to shoot an entire 30 magazine off as a warning. There is always some danger in the woods and in areas where people camp. I always feel comforted having a handgun along with me although I have never used it for anything other than plinking in the woods in that environment. I've been nervous a couple of times and the gun empowers me to not allow myself to be a victim. You discover that you may not be able to control your environment and it is very frightening when a situation develops. Glock 23 is a good reliable side arm. Got one. It is what I carry when I do jobs in areas where I am nervous for my safety.

Wow. You must have been really frightened to shoot an entire 30 magazine off as a warning. There is always some danger in the woods and in areas where people camp. I always feel comforted having a handgun along with me although I have never used it for anything other than plinking in the woods in that environment. I've been nervous a couple of times and the gun empowers me to not allow myself to be a victim. You discover that you may not be able to control your environment and it is very frightening when a situation develops. Glock 23 is a good reliable side arm. Got one. It is what I carry when I do jobs in areas where I am nervous for my safety.

I don't scare easy and have been carrying for over 15 years. Encountered many people in the woods and never had issues. These two guys didn't give off a good vibe and the fact they looked at us, drove 50 yards, fired from their truck, got out and reloaded, and started walking towards us with guns in hand. I believed that I had cover and 50 yards between us. Last resort for me is to take someone's life, so I dumped the mag which only took a few seconds. Reloaded and gave them the choice to leave. Didn't have to say anything, but they knew that I was willing to defend us. Thank God that they turned around. I get crap by some saying I should have shot them because they might have victimized someone else. I hope they learned that the next people may not give them a 2nd chance. I also don't want to deal with the scrutiny of the CJ system in CA if I don't have too. Our prosecutors and anti gun laws are insane here, especially when it comes to "Assault Weapons", even though they're registered and legally owned.

Back