• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Handle request/sheath question

Hello,
I have a Spyderco Swick 3 - this model came with no sheath or scales. I am interested in wooden scales, I've never had a knife with those but I'd also be interested in other materials. (I have a Swick 4 with Halpern scales so I'm kind of leaning towards something other than G10). I also need a sheath, but am interested in leather. I was wondering if anyone had ideas if this would be feasible for the Swick given its odd handle setup. Thank you.

Handle is very doable. Lots of wood out there, stabilized would be the route to go. I would recommend removable scales rather than epoxied/pinned just due to the nature of the knife(para wrap one day?) You could even have multiple handles made for giggles if you wanted to go crazy.

Leather is also rather easy on this knife. A all around welt and a simple snap or post fastener through the finger hole. Done. Would also allow for additional and different size handles/parawraps/naked ect.

Neck carry?

I have also seen people with hidden rare earth magnets in leather for retention. There are always options.

Max thanks for your suggestions, I would want waist carry for work, maybe some sort of pocket sheath option because I have difficulties wearing a belt. Removable scales would be a must due to the nature of the swick. Never heard of magnets but that sounds like a damn clever idea!

Do you happen to have a maker to recommend? I've never had any custom work done before, so I'm all ears if anyone has a recommendation.

Not anyone that has open books, let alone a Swick. So A. you will probably need to send your knife to them. B. you might have to go with separate makers, that then must be sent and bounced around again. I usually do my own leather-work. Have you thought about DIY? A simple slip sheath wouldn't be crazy hard.

Back