Happy New Year! Post photos of your newest knives here.

Melvin-Purvis

Temporarily Retired
Staff member
Super Mod
May 2017 be your best year yet! Happy Randall Made Knives collecting!

If you pick up any RMK's you'd like to share, feel free to post 'em here. :thumbup:

I've owned close to 1000 Randall Made knives in the last twenty years, with only about three dozen ordered through authorized RMK dealers and exactly two from RMK directly. This one, the second of those two, a GTR Special arrived late last year. Stainless steel, nickel-silver hilt, metal spacers, a green Micarta handle in the Border Patrol shape with a nickel-silver end plate, and an optional black sheath.

GTR_1.jpg

GTR_3.jpg

GTR_6.jpg

GTR_4.jpg

GTR_8.jpg

It's small, but cool as heck. :cool:

Good looking little knife and that nickel silver does it for me as well as that butt cap. Congrats but......a thousand Randall's. :eek:

The person I purchased this knife from thought it was made sometime in the 70's... not sure if that's completely accurate or not? All I know is it balances perfectly in my hand and it feels a lot lighter than I would have expected. Any thoughts on the originality/info on the knife would be appreciated! I think at some point somebody filled the Randall stamp with white modelers paint - which is now starting to fade and go away. Also, more of a concern of mine is the discoloration of the spacers, any thoughts on what would have caused this? Could a polishing compound have done it? One thing is for sure though, I am in l-o-v-e with this knife!

I don't always use a knife this size, but when I do, I'll be sure to use this one :)

https://flic.kr/p/QUrBf4
https://flic.kr/p/PRjRaF
https://flic.kr/p/QUrA6k
https://flic.kr/p/PRjQgg

Last edited:
Tallship, I love it, as is, spacer patina and all.

I have a similar issue as you; no real use for a non kitchen knife over 4", but I think they're beautiful.

The person I purchased this knife from thought it was made sometime in the 70's...
'77 - '84. Looks legit. The modeling paint, if that's what it is, came after the fact. I've see that white stuff before, btw. Turtle Wax as a preservative was all the rage back in those days (like Renaissance Wax is today) - if not removed soon after application, it'll harden. You can carefully use a heat gun or hair dryer to see if it'll melt to the point you can wipe or toothpick it out.

Thank you for narrowing down the age of the knife! Good idea cleaning out the old paint :)

What is the best way to tell how much of a knife has been honed away? Do you measure the choil/cutout or from the start of the bevel? And what are some of the average measurements for a new model 1? Do these measurements also change based on blade length as well??

I think my next purchase is going to be a reference book about Randalls...

Yours looks like an original, factory edge.

My reference book is out of print, but if you're lucky you can still find a copy on ePay at a decent price...

I'm happy to hear you say it's the factory edge, that means there's still plenty of life left in the blade, but at the same time a small part of me just died and no longer wants to use the knife lol Should a knife from this era ('77-84) be kept in as pristine condition as possible or should it be used as intended (in a responsible manner of course) without too much fear of destroying it's value? I didn't pay an arm and a leg for it so that's why I wasn't apprehensive about using it.

On a side note, the stag handle which could very well be going on 40 years old - is there anything I may need to be doing as far as caring for it?
I bought the knife from a guy in New Hampshire and now it's in Texas so the last thing I would want to have happen is for the stag to crack. The humidity here in Texas right now is approximately half as much as in New Hampshire... I've read about rubbing or even dipping the handle into mineral/baby oil? Curious if anyone on here recommends or does anything similar...

Stag doesn't typically crack unless it's pinned (pre-1960), or dropped; so, don't drop it. You can dip it and let it soak in mineral oil, if it helps you sleep...

I appreciate the words of wisdom! Besides I would prefer not to dip the stag in oil anyways, just thought I'd ask to be sure...

There's someone on here who always insists that stag should be waxed and not oiled. I'm not sure of the merits of either side of that debate, but I thought I'd throw it out there for comment.

There's someone on here who always insists that stag should be waxed and not oiled. I'm not sure of the merits of either side of that debate, but I thought I'd throw it out there for comment.

Looking at the stag handle it looks like it already exhibits a nice coating of wax now that you mention it... hadn't even thought of that shine being caused by wax. I guess with it being covered in wax, oil wouldn't do much anyhow

I picked this up about a week ago:

acd0863f0444aa179c3bca6e5dd39387.jpg

Back