Hapstone V6 - new knife sharpener on the US market

New arrivals in gritomatic.com:

Edge Pro format stones
Boride Stones (different series)
Boride Narrow Stone (T2 and CS-HD series)
Shapton Pro Stones
Shapton Pro Narrow Stone
Shapton Glass Stone
Boron Carbide Ceramic Stone (medium)
Spyderco Ceramic Stone (medium and fine)
Baikalite Stone (natural from Russia)
Sungari Stone (natural from China)
Arkansas Serrated Stone (triangle shaped - hard, black, translucent)

All stones except Boride are lapped.

Accessories
Leather Strop Aluminum Paddle
Bodrid Dressing Stone (for refreshing and cleaning stones in range 400-1000 grit)
Ultra Fine Ceramic Honing Rod (Idahone)
Thickness Compensator

@Gritomatic,

Do you guys carry the Grinderman stones anymore? I saw the Gritomatic stones as an option, but there is a picture of a setup on your website that has the actual Grinderman stones in the pic. I just didn't see them listed anywhere.

You have my attention. Need to read the reviews and watch the videos but there might be one of these in my future.

Ray

He bought a Dealer / Materials Provider membership and needs to switch his displayed status.

Gritomatic, please go to http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/profile.php?do=editusergroup and click on your paid membership, to update your title and color.

Thank you for notifying! I had title reset between payment periods.

@Gritomatic,

Do you guys carry the Grinderman stones anymore? I saw the Gritomatic stones as an option, but there is a picture of a setup on your website that has the actual Grinderman stones in the pic. I just didn't see them listed anywhere.

Grinderman and Gritomatic stones are made by russian OEM manufacturer of abrasive materials. Grinderman trademark becomes very popular in Russia because of extraordinary properties and low cost of Edge Pro sharpening stones. Gritomatic stones inherit all advantages of Grinderman because they are made of the same abrasive. However there are cosmetic differences between Gritomatic and Grinderman:
1) Gritomatic stones are lapped & bevelled, while Grinderman stones are not so they require preparation by user.
2) Gritomatic and Grinderman stones use different aluminum blanks and glue. That makes Gritomatic stones look better.
In other words, if you hunt for Grinderman stones, you can take Gritomatic stones and get nice extras.

Thank you for notifying! I had title reset between payment periods.

Grinderman and Gritomatic stones are made by russian OEM manufacturer of abrasive materials. Grinderman trademark becomes very popular in Russia because of extraordinary properties and low cost of Edge Pro sharpening stones. Gritomatic stones inherit all advantages of Grinderman because they are made of the same abrasive. However there are cosmetic differences between Gritomatic and Grinderman:
1) Gritomatic stones are lapped & bevelled, while Grinderman stones are not so they require preparation by user.
2) Gritomatic and Grinderman stones use different aluminum blanks and glue. That makes Gritomatic stones look better.
In other words, if you hunt for Grinderman stones, you can take Gritomatic stones and get nice extras.

Thanks for the detailed response. I appreciate it!

Hapstone V6 is available for pre-order on the gritomatic website.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

DSC_0015.jpgDSC_0013.jpgDSC_0007.jpg
Rotating clamp system for Hapstone V6 and Hapstone Pro (V5)
Start selling date approximately on 9-15 of February.
Details
Sharpening angle range: from 13° to 45°
Angle tolerance: 0.5°
Maximum thickness of the knife spine: 6 mm

Last edited:
re: "Hapstone Rotating Clamp System is an optional upgrade module..."

As you know there are thousands of Edge Pro sharpeners out in the hands of consumers, and since this is a separate, stand-alone module, if it could also attach to the Edge Pro Apex and/or Professional model you could increase your market share from consumers who cannot otherwise justify retiring their Edge Pro or buying a full Hapstone system.

It's not clear from your website whether this rotating clamp module is compatible with either or both Edge Pro models. Could you address that question? Thanks.

This product is not compatible with Edge Pro. There are many technical difficulties to make Edge Pro compatible clamp system.

Thanks. Since there is no documentation on how this attaches to the base, going from the photo:
Rotating-clump-2_grande.jpg

it appears to slide over the base in a mortise-and-tenon style of attachment, which should be very stable as long as there is sufficient depth of overlap.

If that's essentially how it attaches, the same could be done for the Edge Pro. For example, on the Professional model, the cross section of the base (the "mortise" portion) would look like this:

mortise%20style%20base%20for%20hapstone%20v6%20to%20attach%20to%20edge%20pro_zpsnxw304np.jpg

And the screws only serve to keep it from sliding off. Most of the stability comes from the mortise and tenon joint.

You are correct about how the clamp unit is attached to the base. However, I was talking about something else.
1) When you use knife sharpener in regular way, a knife lies on the working table, and cutting edge is located close to edge of the sharpener (no matter, Edge Pro or Hapstone). When you install clamp system, the knife is clamped, and cutting edge is shifted 4 inches away from the initial position. Green line -> Red line.
change-1.jpg

2) The sharpener utilizes horizontal shaft of certain length, and stones of certain size. Sharpener cannot be used anymore if the knife is shifted 4 inches away. Only solution is to shift vertical shaft with pivot unit as well. Hapstone V6 has secondary holes to shift vertical shaft. Hapstone V5 has to utilize extra bracket holding vertical shaft. The system becomes overcomplicated.
change-2.jpg

3) As result of knife shift and vertical shaft shift, the balance point shifts too and the sharpener becomes unstable while working. To fix this in Hapstone V5, supporting legs must be re-attached to another position. I'm afraid the balance problem cannot be solved with Apex.

Such problems do not exist when a clamp-based sharpener is developed from the scratch like TSProf.

Nevertheless, Hapstone engineering became interested in development similar device for EP. I will publish information after research.

I don't know about the EP Apex model but on the EP Professional model, there is a suction vise with a single post in the middle that attaches to a bracket on the bottom of the table. The table is ~9.5 inches long and the post is secured ~5 inches from the back of the table to an aluminum T-bar bracket on the underside of the table.

I'm not positive about this but I think (for the EP Pro anyway) you could pick up the lost 4" of travel on the sharpening arm if the mortise were a through-mortise, but with the cut-away on the bottom as in the drawing I posted. That way you could just slide the clamp assembly down the table so the tips of the clamps are just at the front edge of the table.

Interesting. I'll be watching how this all shakes out over some months. I don't like that the rotating clamp is an optional add-on. Should be included but I'll let the experts continue to give their opinions and suggestions.

I'm on the fence about ordering this optional clamping system. Is the main advantage to this the ability to sharpen longer blades? Or is it simply a firmer more stable way of holding the blade no matter the size? It seems that the magnetic system seems stable enough from videos floating around. I've already pre ordered the V6 and will also get this option if I can justify a good reason for the purchase.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I actually just did this research myself and basically once you order the Hapstone 6 and the clamp you're now into WE price range. Just some food for thought.

I suppose there's an even lower-cost way to accomplish a knife clamping mechanism where you can lock the position in for hitting both sides of the edge.

The pivot mechanism is probably costly since it is a custom design. Assuming all most people really need is 0 degree and 180 degree, replace the pivot mechanism with a square solid rod on the clamp, and a snug-fitting hollow square rod on the receiving end on the table.

It wouldn't be as cool as spinning the knife to the other side via a pivot bearing (you'd have to pull the solid rod out, turn the knife over and manually re-insert it). But it would be functionally the same, and probably cost significantly less.

Back