Hapstone V6 - new knife sharpener on the US market

Review Continued...

Here is what I found works the best for small blades:

20170223_014910002_iOS.jpg

Hapstone warns against using only one clamp on your blade for stability reasons, but I found that with a small piece of rubber mating to protect the blade from the clamp, the knife is unmovable. It is as secure in one clamp as two. This also has the added benefit of keeping the clamp as far from the bevel as possible so that much smaller angles can be achieved. I was able to sharpen at 13 degrees per side. Additionally, the knife is perfectly parrallel to the table and 100% horizontal.

Here is the result of my first attempt at a mirror edge using Shapton glass stones in progression from 500 to 8000 on the Hapstone V6 w/clamp:

20170223_015438034_iOS.jpg

I'll admit this isn't a "perfect" mirror edge, but it wasn't just my first attempt at this with the Hapstone, it was my first attempt with any sharpening system. The only remaining scratches I see appear to be the grain of the steel (S30V). Sorry about the poor lighting. What this edge is however, is incredibly sharp. I've never produced an edge as sharp as this. I was whittling the whittlings of hair. I didn't even use a microbevel. Can barely hear any sound when slicing phonebook paper.

Suggested Improvements:
  • This mechanism needs a single clamp that is wider for holding smaller knives. And, this single clamp must be in line with the center of the rotating mechanism.
  • The center rotating mechanism needs its size reduced as well.
  • Both of these changes will allow the sharpener to get the lower angles that those of us buying a sharpener like this need.
  • I'm not sure what can be done design-wise, but the sharpener moves around a lot due to the increased front weight (until you screw it to your workbench).

Final Thoughts:

If you're going to buy the Hapstone, you've just got to spend the extra money for the clamp. I'll probably not ever take mine off and go back to using the table.

Last edited:
Very, very cool. But I'm still glad I could build my own Edge Pro clone. I first had the EP 7 years ago, but couldn't use it when my left arm/hand was paralyzed. Too bad this wasn't out back then. And I just built my own out of 6061 billet and fixed all the shortcomings of the EP, just like this. I like it though. Great looking system.

Very, very cool. But I'm still glad I could build my own Edge Pro clone. I first had the EP 7 years ago, but couldn't use it when my left arm/hand was paralyzed. Too bad this wasn't out back then. And I just built my own out of 6061 billet and fixed all the shortcomings of the EP, just like this. I like it though. Great looking system.

That sounds cool. Post some pictures of it!

Hahaha all the salty EP fanboys around here... sheesh.

EP sells their product at a massively inflated price. There would be no demand for better/cheaper alternatives if they had listened to everybody screaming about paying freaking $200 for freaking molded ABS. It seems they skipped class after the first week of economics 101 where they talked about a unique product leveraging a staggering price tag, and missed the part where consumers get tired of it and begin to demand an alternative. Competition changes the market, and one way or another the consumer gets their way in the end.

With that said, this looks like a fantastic product; one using materials much more deserving of the price tag. Can't wait to use it.

Last edited:
Got my replacement parts today from Russia and they threw in a ceramic honing rod for my inconvenience.. Nice touch Gritomatic and Hapstone! Thanks.. New parts seem to fit together fine

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Got my replacement parts today from Russia and they threw in a ceramic honing rod for my inconvenience.. Nice touch Gritomatic and Hapstone! Thanks.. New parts seem to fit together fine

Excellent news! I had a slip from the USPS in the mailbox today that I had two packages to pick-up from overseas, must be my replacement parts as well.

Is this thread the best nexus of user reviews for the V6? I'd like to see some additional reviews before I consider purchasing it. I saw a few YouTube videos by The Wandering Whittler and some from Jende Industries but that's about it. To be clear, the existing reviews here are great, but the more the better.

Also - What is Gritomatic versus Jende? Is one a parent company that licenses to the other?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Is this thread the best nexus of user reviews for the V6? I'd like to see some additional reviews before I consider purchasing it. I saw a few YouTube videos by The Wandering Whittler and some from Jende Industries but that's about it. To be clear, the existing reviews here are great, but the more the better.

Also - What is Gritomatic versus Jende? Is one a parent company that licenses to the other?

Thanks!

This is all I've seen. I think the first batch of sharpeners only numbered about 75 pieces so there isn't a ton out there to be reviewed.

What is Gritomatic versus Jende? Is one a parent company that licenses to the other?
Thanks!

Jende is a partner of Hapstone offering customized version of V6 sharpener. All the information from YouTube reviews (except accessories kit) are applicable to both regular version (Gritomatic) and Jende edition.

Just saw your magnified before/after blade video. Thanks! I took the advice reference muting the sound...

I can't add anything to the conversation re: Hapstone Pro V6, but I got a V5 through Jende last fall and it's a really excellent tool.

The small blade rest is very functional for short or oddly shaped (think Spyderco) blades, especially if you're going for lower bevel angles.

Something nobody has gone in to in depth is the *huge* variety of other pre-mounted stones; I have a Sungari, a Rozsutec, and 240 through 2k bonded diamond stones, in addition to several Boride stones. Both of the natural stones are very decent for semi-polished edges on low carbide stainless or high carbon, but aren't great for higher carbide stainless in my use. The bonded diamond is an excellent series of stones, all grits wear very slowly, cut quickly, don't glaze and can leave a near mirror finish with the 800, 1200 or 2000 grit if allowed to go dry while finishing the edge (with very light pressure). >edit: the 2k bonded diamond is 1 micron... should have gone with the microns in the first place with all the conflicting grit scales out there<

The RuChef stones mine came with are very decent as far as abrasive power, but they definitely dish much faster than other SiC stones I've used.

For me the deciding factors in buying this over an EP Apex were the all metal construction and the ability to use stones that aren't on an EP type base. To anyone who has an older version with the metal on metal rod interface; a light film of grease on the rod works much better than any liquid lube I have tried.

I also have a question for Konstantin; where are the sharpeners actually manufactured? Mine drop shipped from Taiwan IIRC.

Last edited:
I also have a question for Konstantin; where are the sharpeners actually manufactured? Mine drop shipped from Taiwan IIRC.
All Hapstone sharpeners including Jende Edition are manufactured in Ukraine. Jende Industries does not dropship Hapstone. They purchase sharpeners and stock in their warehouse in Taiwan.

Thank you for feedback!

Which stone set do you recommend. Thinking about getting the delux. I sent an email with no response. I sharpen s35vn - 20cv sort of steel and A2

EDIT: Couldn't wait so I got diamond stones and extra lapping films with blanks. Hopefully I made a good investment. Had a WE before and wasn't in love with it. I like that I got the same grit options for half the price. It will just take a little longer.

Last edited:
Which stone set do you recommend. Thinking about getting the delux. I sent an email with no response. I sharpen s35vn - 20cv sort of steel and A2
Sorry for late reply. As per our discussion, you will have decent bundle diamonds + lapping films. :)

Did these all sell out? I have been monitoring that page, and it has gone from "pre-order", to "out of stock"...
We have Basic bundles in stock. Other bundles are temporary unavailable. We expect silicon carbide and diamond bundles return in stock next week.

Back