Hard use stainless steel fixed blades?

XtianAus

Gold Member
Hey looking for something in the 4-5.5" blade length, stainless steel that can take a beating.
Doesn't need to be the slicest of blades - I have plenty of great carbon steel blades for that. Priority is thickness/toughness and corrosion resistance. Something that can take abuse, something I dont need to worry about breaking under harsh conditions.

Bonus points for pictures :thumbsup:

Something from Mora's Craftline or All-round lines. Robust S or All-round 4 inch. The molded plastic handled knives by Mora are nearly indestructible. The Mora 2000 is also a good choice.

Depends on your price range and your uses, though. For under $30, I'd go with the Mora 2000. Available from Ragnar's.

2000.jpg

Zieg

Look into Z-finit from Zapp steels.
I made a bushcraft knife for another member on here and it holds up really well.
Very tough, and will never rust.
The one i made had a larger blade than you are looking for (6.5")
Ive done testing with that steel and its by far my favorite stainless. 59-60HRC should work well for what you need. If you really need the extra toughness drop back to 59HRC.

I also suggest taking a look at Fallkniven.

I have used this F1 for over 10 years. The laminated VG 10 has held up to some rather rough use.

eqz7zr.jpg

Reactions: vba
Depending on your price range, I would head over to the custom fixed blades and look around. I'm sure you can find something that suits your needs over there. There are lots of makers that fit the bill.

Again, price is key here, but on the other end of the cutting spectrum (as I see it), is Cold Steel's older AUS8 SRK or their newer VG-1 version.

Then, as above, a custom knife would be the most fun.

Zieg

Hey looking for something in the 4-5.5" blade length, stainless steel that can take a beating.
Doesn't need to be the slicest of blades - I have plenty of great carbon steel blades for that. Priority is thickness/toughness and corrosion resistance. Something that can take abuse, something I dont need to worry about breaking under harsh conditions.

Bonus points for pictures :thumbsup:
A budget is an absolute must here. You will get suggestions from $20-$500. And what do you mean by abuse? What will you actually be doing with the knife.

I made a bushcraft knife for another member on here and it holds up really well.
Ive done testing with that steel and its by far my favorite stainless. 59-60HRC should work well for what you need. If you really need the extra toughness drop back to 59HRC.
I'm interested in a knife in z-finit
Is there an email where I can contact you ?

I own this knife he speaks of!!! Very good steel! Easy to sharpen, tough, stainless, good edge stability and durability. Actually thinking of getting one more, slightly larger. Great stuff!

I see a fair number of knives in the knifemaker's for sale section in this sort of size range in AEB-L, and I've been a bit curious about them myself. Anyone have experience with this steel?

I see a fair number of knives in the knifemaker's for sale section in this sort of size range in AEB-L, and I've been a bit curious about them myself. Anyone have experience with this steel?
I have it in my carothers kitchen knife. It has been great but obviously not hard use. I bet it would do well for hard use with the proper heat treat.

Aeb L, if HT'd right can be either tough or great edge retention. One of my favorites for sure when done right. AEB L is 13C26. Right now I am making an 7 3/4 inch blade camp knife out of it, along with a 4.5 inch blade field knife. They should turn out really good.

I have it in my carothers kitchen knife. It has been great but obviously not hard use. I bet it would do well for hard use with the proper heat treat.

Aeb L, if HT'd right can be either tough or great edge retention. One of my favorites for sure when done right. AEB L is 13C26. Right now I am making an 7 3/4 inch blade camp knife out of it, along with a 4.5 inch blade field knife. They should turn out really good.

Thanks for these. I'd been wondering about it and the question seemed to fit well with the op's interest as well.

Last edited:
Back