Have you ever broken a multitool?

I used to carry the original leatherman wave before I really got into knives. It was the only tool I carried. Took it car camping one night and used the saw to cut up a bunch of firewood. I must have been putting lateral force on it and the whole side of the handle came apart. This was before I knew about the warranty so I trashed it...

Bought another wave a few years later and it dropped out of the pouch in a parking lot. I didn't notice it was missing until later and when I went back someone had stolen it but the main blade was on the ground. Must have hit just right and snapped off.

Also had the scissors spring break on a squirt ps4. I sent that one in and had a new one mailed to me without a couple weeks.

For the record, I bought a third wave and its the only multitool I have. With the bit kit and included tools its the best multitool on the market for the price IMO.

I inherited my dad's old original super tool that he carried as a handyman for around 15 years, it had some copper embedded in the jaws from a live wire, the Phillips and can opener were both snapped off and the flat was twisted about 15 degrees, he used everyday at least 10 times a day

I've had my Wingman for a year and a half, and the handles are getting squirrelly.... No resistance left in them. It won't stay closed all the way because the internal plier spring wants to force it open. Used it half a dozen times a day all summer, so I guess it's just normal wear. Honestly don't know if that's enough to complain about, though... It's just inconvenient.

Broken 2 sog powerlocks, one snapped the jaw, the other broke the rivet where the handle attached to the jaw, broke one leatherman super tool 300, snapped the jaw cutting barbed wire, and just today broke a newer sog power grab, 2 weeks old, I was bend the corner on some 16-18 gauge sheet metal.

...Also had the scissors spring break on a squirt ps4. I sent that one in and had a new one mailed to me without a couple weeks.
I'm in the midst of that happening to my Squirt. I doubt I'll send it back. It has done well with me and I have a replacement when the time comes.

In general, I have not broken any of my SAKs or pliers based multi-tools as of yet. I don't use them real hard however. I use a Vic Spirit and a SOG powerlock.

Buddy broke my original Leatherman pinching lead seals with it. Bad cast in the hinge of the pliers and they replaced it without issue.

I recently refurbished my first SAK. I had over the years broken the tip on the main blade and the awl, broken the scissor spring, lost the tweezers, chipped the screwdriver/caplifter, dinged up the handles by dropping on concrete. I didn't really note how I did each thing at the time, but when I realized it was my first knife (and since I still owned it), I went ahead and gave it some TLC.

I re-profiled the main blade and awl, replaced the scissor spring and tweezers (and tooth pick), stoned the chip out of the screwdriver, filled in the scars on the handle with super glue and polished it shiny (I was surprised that the repair was invisible once polished). Works good as new now. Got it Christmas of 1977.

Only Multi Tool I sorta broke was a gift. It was a larger MT branded under Toro. I used the flathead to try to twist a screw that woudn't budge. The flathead tool twisted instead and stayed twisted. I don't use that MT for anything, so I don't really care.

On the plus side, when I was a kid, I used a Sog Paratool as a hammer and it survived. I still occasionally use it to this day (usually carry my LM Juice or Squirt though now). When I was younger I also fartzed up the blade of my Vic Rucksack trying to bypass a door lock. I sharpened that area back out when I got older.

I've watched quite a few Gerber Multi-Pliers bust in various ways. The usual scenario was heavy torquing/twisting and busting the jaws. These were all GOV issue items around 1995-2005. I'm not sure how the current lineup is.

I use a SOG PowerLock and a pair of Leatherman Raptor Shears nowadays.

I don't know whether Leatherman Tool Group loves me or hates me. On the one hand, I've bought a lot of their tools. On the other hand, I've broken a lot of their tools. The first time I ever sent anything in for warranty, I e-mailed them first, explaining that I had a bunch of tools I had broken, entirely my fault, no expectation of warranty claims, I just wanted to know if I could get them repaired for a fee. After all, seven original Waves adds up to a significant amount of money for some of us. Their reply was short and to the point: "They're covered. Send them in." That first lot was 7 Waves, 2 PSTs, 3 Micras and a Super Tool, all of which came back repaired or replaced in short order, no questions asked.

The second time I also e-mailed first, since I suspected that some of the tools were beyond the 25 year warranty period. Again they told me to send them in. This time it was only 4 original Waves and a Charge XTi. This time they also called and asked if these were all mine, which they were. They replaced the 4 Original Waves with 4 New Waves and the Charge XTi with a Charge TTi without even asking how I'd managed to break the frames of two of the Waves. Heck, one of the Waves wasn't really broken, it was just worn to the point I could open it like a butterfly knife.

Yes, I guess I'm hard on my multitools. I use them a dozen times a day, and they save me a lot of running back to the shop for tools. Whether they love me or hate me, I'm a Leatherman customer for life.

Skeletool. Ruined the serrations trying to strip sheathing on cable. Replaced blade. The pliers got twisted out of true trying to cut a brake cable. Replaced the pliers. Sold the tool.

Style CS. Scissors got twisted cutting a cable tie. Sent in for repair, got back just as bad. Sent back, got new pair. New pairs scissors stopped cutting properly after 6 months of gentle use. The screwdriver twisted trying to open a brand new plug. Gave up on Style CS.

My dad has busted quite a few leathermans, and he is still a huge fan. Why? because he can and has broken tools for nearly every other manufacture, and not mulities, johnson bars from MAC, 3/4 drive snap-ons, and everything in between. He takes tools to the absolute limit, and the way he figures it, he's usually doing something he shouldn't have been with it, when he breaks it. As long as the warranty is good they will always be great tools in my estimation. I love my Vic, but my leathermans have always been something special.

We use Leatherman Charge TTi and the Sidekicks. We have about 4 and 3 respectively. We have broken the jaws off, bent the hinge, broke the screw driver tops, ruined the cutter part, and more of can't remember. We always send it in, and shortly have a new one.

In construction and farming, breaking tools happens. We don't always have access to larger tools, and sometimes use these for work "over their pay grade". And most times they save the day. If it breaks, it's great to have a company that stands behind there products. We are huge fans.

I broke the serrated saw on my Gerber 600 multitool cutting a tree branch. Contacted Gerber, they said if it broke during normal use they would replace the blade.

Sent off and Gerber replaced the blade and threw in a new case on top of it.

I broke the pliers' tip of a LM surge, bent the awl, lost the spring that holds the small screwdriver bit and broke the main blade in two.
I put it to hard use in plumbing.
Sent it to leatherman for repair and they sent me a brand new surge saying they couldn't fix the old one.
I love leatherman

Andy

I've broken the large flat screwdriver on a Supertool 300 prying (my bad) and somehow broke the spring on my Squirt's scissors.

I've had my Wingman for a year and a half, and the handles are getting squirrelly.... No resistance left in them. It won't stay closed all the way because the internal plier spring wants to force it open. Used it half a dozen times a day all summer, so I guess it's just normal wear. Honestly don't know if that's enough to complain about, though... It's just inconvenient.

Send it to Leatherman Warranty and they will fix it free.

I broke the pliers on a Gerber MT, long ago when I was working on a Humvee in the Marines. I was miss using it. Gerber replaced it no question.

Back