Have you ever seen anything creepy? V2

The first thread had some interesting stories in it, but it got buried, so I figured a second one was in order. :thumbup:

Just share your stories about if you've seen something creepy or just felt that something was a bit "off."

Last edited:
I think I shared this story a few years ago in some long-gone thread somewhere, but I'll share it here.

This happened in June 1988 in Taiwan. I was traveling with a then-girlfriend, and we had traveled from Taipei to Hualien on the northeastern coast, and from there traveled the central East-West Cross-Island Highway. The first part of the trip was uneventful, except for a white-knuckle bus ride on substandard unpaved mountain road. The scenery was often stunningly beautiful, though. We stopped and stayed one night in Tianhsiang and one night in Dayuling.

Approximately midway(?), going east to west, she and I decided to stop and hike up Mount Hohuan (Hohuanshan, not far from Dayuling) to spend the night. During winter it's a ski resort of sorts, but in June it was just dry, cold and windy, much different from the heat and extreme humidity of, say, Taipei. Not long after arriving, my girlfriend started saying she sensed other 'presences'. Now, I've had paranormal experiences on and off all of my life, but on that day I thought she was making stuff up to get attention, or getting spooked at the relative quiet and howling winds. Later that evening, we stayed in the resort's dorm, which had several bunk beds. We were on a bottom bunk near a dooreay. On the other side of the dorm on the upper bunks were a few Taiwanese couples, and all that was visible were their feet. Further off on a lower bunk was a lone guy who'd been staying there. As we drifted off to sleep, my last thought was, "Ghosts. Ha." I was lying on my left side, as was my girlfriend, who was in front of me.

A few hours(?) later, I snapped awake suddenly and completely. I could see my girlfriend's back and back of head, but she looked some distance away, like at the end of a tunnel(?). My ears seemed plugged, and I felt a heavy presence pressing my body down and immobilizing me while screaming into my right ear. It started out as a slow, vibrating moan like a man's that gradually became higher and higher-pitched like a woman's, and the warbling/vibration became faster and faster. This continued uninterrupted for longer than any person could vocalize without stopping to take a breath. Then, in my mind's eye, I could see from the POV of inside of a small car, looking out the front windshield as it plunged off a mountain road, went over the side, and came to a violent rest. The scream continued into my right ear, and I began a silent struggle to just move.

Suddenly, the 'spell' was broken and I suddenly pushed up from the bed. At exactly the same time, as if connected by an invisible wire, my girlfriend pushed up the same as me. Keep in mind, her back was still to me. She turned around, shaking, and said in English, "Did you hear that? I felt a pressure in the air." My ears were still ringing, but my hearing was returning to normal. I felt a single bead of sweat roll down near my temple, and the drop of sweat felt like ice water.

The whole rest of the night we didn't get any more sleep, just sat up and occasionally talking quietly. She kept praying as well. Next day we left early to continue on our journey. As we walked a ways down the road, the group of couples came by in their van(?) and picked us up, taking us down the mountain to the next bus stop to continue the rest of our trip. As I remember it, the central East-West Cross-Island Highway ended at its western end in Taichung. I'll have to check a Taiwan map again to be sure, but that's how I remember it.

Oddly enough, after that day, she and I never discussed that incident ever again. I've had paranormal experiences before and since, but that was by far the spookiest. I'm still not certain if it was a spirit/spirits, or if it was some other kind of paranormal entity(s). I do know it was not a health issue, and she and I both experienced the same thing. And to be clear, most of my "paranormal" experiences have not been "creepy" or negative at all, especially in recent years.

Anyway, I guess a revamp of the "creepy" thread is in order, this being Halloween season and all.

Jim

Last edited:
I think I shared this story a few years ago in some long-gone thread somewhere, but I'll share it here.

This happened in June 1988 in Taiwan. I was traveling with a then-girlfriend, and we had traveled from Taipei to Hualien on the northeastern coast, and from there traveled the central East-West Cross-Island Highway. The first part of the trip was uneventful, except for a white-knuckle bus ride on substandard unpaved mountain road. The scenery was often stunningly beautiful, though. We stopped and stayed one night in Tianhsiang and one night in Dayuling.

Approximately midway(?), going east to west, she and I decided to stop and hike up Mount Hohuan (Hohuanshan, not far from Dayuling) to spend the night. During winter it's a ski resort of sorts, but in June it was just dry, cold and windy, much different from the heat and extreme humidity of, say, Taipei. Not long after arriving, my girlfriend started saying she sensed other 'presences'. Now, I've had paranormal experiences on and off all of my life, but on that day I thought she was making stuff up to get attention, or getting spooked at the relative quiet and howling winds. Later that evening, we stayed in the resort's dorm, which had several bunk beds. We were on a bottom bunk near a dooreay. On the other side of the dorm on the upper bunks were a few Taiwanese couples, and all that was visible were their feet. Further off on a lower bunk was a lone guy who'd been staying there. As we drifted off to sleep, my last thought was, "Ghosts. Ha." I was lying on my left side, as was my girlfriend, who was in front of me.

A few hours(?) later, I snapped awake suddenly and completely. I could see my girlfriend's back and back of head, but she looked some distance away, like at the end of a tunnel(?). My ears seemed plugged, and I felt a heavy presence pressing my body down and immobilizing me while screaming into my right ear. It started out as a slow, vibrating moan like a man's that gradually became higher and higher-pitched like a woman's, and the warbling/vibration became faster and faster. This continued uninterrupted for longer than any person could vocalize without stopping to take a breath. Then, in my mind's eye, I could see from the POV of inside of a small car, looking out the front windshield as it plunged off a mountain road, went over the side, and came to a violent rest. The scream continued into my right ear, and I began a silent struggle to just move.

Suddenly, the 'spell' was broken and I suddenly pushed up from the bed. At exactly the same time, as if connected by an invisible wire, my girlfriend pushed up the same as me. Keep in mind, her back was still to me. She turned around, shaking, and said in English, "Did you hear that? I felt a pressure in the air." My ears were still ringing, but my hearing was returning to normal. I felt a single bead of sweat roll down near my temple, and the drop of sweat felt like ice water.

The whole rest of the night we didn't get any more sleep, just sat up and occasionally talking quietly. She kept praying as well. Next day we left early to continue on our journey. As we walked a ways down the road, the group of couples came by in their van(?) and picked us up, taking us down the mountain to the next bus stop to continue the rest of our trip. As I remember it, the central East-West Cross-Island Highway ended at its western end in Taichung. I'll have to check a Taiwan map again to be sure, but that's how I remember it.

Oddly enough, after that day, she and I never discussed that incident ever again. I've had paranormal experiences before and since, but that was by far the spookiest. I'm still not certain if it was a spirit/spirits, or if it was some other kind of paranormal entity(s). I do know it was not a health issue, and she and I both experienced the same thing. And to be clear, most of my "paranormal" experiences have not been "creepy" or negative at all, especially in recent years.

Anyway, I guess a revamp of the "creepy" thread is in order, this being Halloween season and all.

Jim

That really sounds more like a dream than a paranormal experience (?)

Ok, here's mine. A couple years back while on a solo paddling trip, I had a sort of weird experience. I was paddling along the coast looking for a spot to camp for the night. I had made more distance than I had expected and actually passed my intended destination, so I checked my chart for another spot and saw a spot less than an hour's paddle away, so I made my way to this spot. It was spit of land at the mouth of a river flushing out to the bay I knew was a promising spot, as I'd been there a few times in the past backpacking. I made it to the spot with the tide coming in, so I paddled a fair way in as the tide filled the river just checking the spot out. After a bit, I headed back out to where I had planned on pitching my tent, located a nice spot and made camp. We're talking a piece of land that is essentially a natural breakwater sheltering this river. Nothing on it except for some vegetation and beach stone. I checked out the spit of land for some fire wood, but had to go inland a few hundred metres without much luck finding any wood that wasn't salt-soaked, so opted not to bother making a fire and jumped in my tent to read a book and eventually dozed off to sleep. Around 3 in the morning, I woke up to the faint smell of smoke, but didn't think much of it other than the fact it seemed like a funny time to notice the smell and went back to sleep.

I woke up to what was going to be a very warm day and got to breaking down my camp, followed by eating some breakfast. After finishing up, I grabbed my TP and poop scoop to do my morning business, heading up the breakwater to the spot I used the night before. Along the stretch of beach, not thirty feet from my tent, were at least 15 or 20 holes up to maybe 2 feet across and probably upwards of a foot+ deep. They weren't there the night before, that's all I know.

I figure I must have slept pretty soundly but have no idea how something(figure it was animal) could have dug all these holes in the middle of the night with me being that close without waking up. (edit: forgot to mention there were no tracks that I could see)

Maybe not creepy, but kinda weird.

Last edited:
That really sounds more like a dream than a paranormal experience (?)

Nope, not a dream. I was wide awake very fast when it happened. Also, my then-girlfriend had exactly the same experience. I've had other paranormal experiences with others present who were simultaneously affected and/or saw the same thing without any cues from me. Also had two heavy objects sent flying horizontally off of a table by an unseen 'force' one time right in front of my eyes (I was alone that time). I guess it's hard to believe unless someone's experienced it first-hand. TBH, I don't really consider most of these incidences all that special; just that the one that I related above at Mt. Hohuan was particularly creepy.

And BTW, I don't always look for a 'paranormal' explanation. Quite the opposite, in fact. But there are some things that happen on rare occasions that defy conventional explanations.

Jim

Last edited:
I've never seen anything "creepy" in the woods per se' but I have seen some desolate areas in the backcountry of Idaho where it was clear that no human foot had been in a few years, at the very least. The terrain was difficult combination of red sandy loam and shale on a grade of approximately 30-35 degrees. So it was one foot forward , two steps to the side or backward wearing full pack and my rifle. It was also wolf territory and the bleached bones of elk were littering the area. Which frankly looked like a steep valley in Afghanistan- no joke. I made several mistakes on the hump which included :

1. Starting too late on a stalk- alone

2. Not bringing enough water or water filter because even at a relatively low elevation of @ 6,500 feet your body loses water at an increased rate which leads to some dehydration and the loss of some balance.

3. Becoming so engaged in a stalk that I kept layers on instead of shedding them which lead to moisture propagation in my clothes.

4. Miscalculating ETA of stalk on the steep terrain which adds exponentially to the time elapsed on the stalk. This, along with the afore mentioned factors created potentially dangerous condition and caused me to be stuck about 1 mile from my pick up point, in steep shale at dusk.

5. No fire starting tools.

Fortunately I had my Garmin Rino which allowed me to radio camp to get my other friend to lock my position in on a ping from my Rino to his. Unfortunately, he was on another mountain range and did not get back until approximately 8:30pm that evening. By that time, my batteries were very low , yet we were able to poll each others position. Being a bit loopy from minor dehydration, sweat soaked and in the black pitch of dark, in wolf laden back -country with rapidly falling temperatures to about 20 degrees, my adventure was not fun. In fact, considering all conditions it started to become a bit dangerous.

My good friend Jimmy ended up reaching my position about 12:00 pm that morning and we got back to camp around 1:30. That is how difficult the terrain was in that area which was amplified due to the darkness. Lessons learned. Although I was never panicked, I was disappointed in myself for making stupid, rookie mistakes that I never made before or since. My time , alone in the dark gave me impetus to consider the foolishness of what I had done, and resolving never to do it again. Or, allow someone else to make the same mistakes if it is in my power to keep them from doing so.

In terms of hearing anything "creepy" in the woods, that I most definitely have. Keep in mind that despite my one monumental mistake mentioned above, I have spent many hours & consecutive days out in the deep woods and mountain back country, both alpine and high desert. Yet nothing I experienced or heard prepared me for the start I got when I was in deep, NE Texas about 45 minutes from Arkansas. It was early spring at dusk when I stepped outside of my parents ranch house to make the 3/4 mile trek across our lake dam to the front gate in order to lock up for the night. A nice, cool chill was in the air, full moon beginning to rise on a clear, quiet night.

I stepped out the door and proceeded to the Kubota to start it and begin the trek- which I usually do not like to do, though it is part of my daily duty when I am there, I heard it. Anyway, I step up into the Kubota, reach to turn the ignition and what I heard was what I considered a surreal sound that was not only foreign to me, but bordered on the unnatural. In fact, it was so unexpectedly startling that as I was hearing the sound, my mind was simultaneously questioning that I was actually hearing what I was indeed hearing. To me, the sound was a combination of a scream of distress, pain, and a bit terrific which lasted about 3-5 seconds, and I only heard it once. Completely startled, and I do not startle easily, I sat for about a minute awaiting to hear it again while still deliberating if I actually heard the scream. The scream was never repeated. Once I did come back to grounded reality, I got out of the Kubota, went into the house and retrieved my pistol to take with me.

I mused on this sound which reverberated in my head for the rest of the night and remained a bit unsettled because it was clear that the sound was real and I heard it. It was months before it became evident to me what it was that I heard.

Here is the sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6NuhlibHsM

FF to @34 seconds and let it play. That is what I heard.

Mystery solved.

Last edited:

Jim
Sleep paralysis. Used to get it often. Hellish.

Sleep paralysis. Used to get it often. Hellish.

Exactly what I thought when I read this.

It is very real and it happens to many people who do not speak of it. Despite what anyone's belief system is, this condition is motivated from the spirit realm and it is demonic. It' as simple as that. So "hellish" is the correct descriptive term.

Exactly what I thought when I read this.

It is very real and it happens to many people who do not speak of it. Despite what anyone's belief system is, this condition is motivated from the spirit realm and it is demonic. It' as simple as that. So "hellish" is the correct descriptive term.
Wow...

Yes, perhaps that sounds like a fantastic, if not fantastically bold statement but the spirit realm is quite real and holds bearing on much of what happens in the natural realm whether people know or acknowledge it, or not . Man is comprised of triune nature- spirit ,soul and body. In any case of sleep paralysis I've read about and the one I experienced , the paralysis was clearly not instigated by any physical condition, definitely manifested while sleeping and accompanied by a distinct feeling of unease, harassment and fear of a certain type of "presence".

Only one type of entity that am aware of disregards the will of a person and persists in physical violation and manifestation.

Last edited:
Yes, perhaps that sounds like a fantastic, if not fantastically bold statement but the spirit realm is quite real and holds bearing on much of what happens in the natural realm whether people know or acknowledge it, or not . Man is comprised of triune nature- spirit ,soul and body. In any case of sleep paralysis I've read about and the one I experienced , the paralysis was clearly not instigated by any physical condition, definitely manifested while sleeping and accompanied by a distinct feeling of unease, harassment and fear of a certain type of "presence".

Only one type of entity that am aware of disregards the will of a person and persists in physical violation and manifestation.

I suffer from sleep paralysis. Happens to me every few months. There's nothing spiritual, demonic, or paranormal about it. Once I studied up on the scientific how's and why's it's easier to deal with. I can even "will" myself out of it. Now it's just a nuisance.

I suffer from sleep paralysis. Happens to me every few months. There's nothing spiritual, demonic, or paranormal about it. Once I studied up on the scientific how's and why's it's easier to deal with. I can even "will" myself out of it. Now it's just a nuisance.

A lot of people think there is only one or the other explanation exclusively. IME, that's not the case. Yes, there is a common type of sleep paralysis that has a scientific explanation. I had also experienced sleep paralysis a few times over the years prior to the experience I related and a couple times after(it hasn't happened in years). I learned how to come out of it fairly easily.

What I experienced on Mt. Hohuan in Taiwan was not the common type of 'sleep paralysis'. I won't say that it was necessarily demonic, though. I won't even say it was a common 'ghost'. Because I don't really know for sure, and neither does anybody else. I DO know that it was some type of non-physical entity. I was there and experienced it, and so did my then-GF. But if someone chooses to disagree and thinks it's a bunch of hooey, that's fine with me, too. I guess you have to experience it to understand the difference between this and normal sleep paralysis.

Jim

Last edited:

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and your belief system which usually predicates the order of your belief in the first place.

I'm not speaking out of school because I have experienced the same thing, now I don't. So, given your analysis, perhaps you should concentrate on a greater amount of "self-will" and then "will" yourself out of having the episodes in the first place. That way it won't be such a nuisance. Anyone possessing that type of "self-will" would be an idiot not to exercise it, as I see it. PM me and let me know how that works out for you.

Now instead of further hi jacking the thread , maybe we can get back on topic

Last edited:
About 10 years ago, maybe less, 2 friends of mine and I were hanging out behind the pool shed at the apartment I was living at.
Gardeners leave plastic chairs out there for lunch I'm guessing.
We figured this was a cool hang out spot and brought beers one night, since no one would see us, even if using the pool.
I kept hearing leave crunching, and we kept insisting they were rabbits or coyotes. But gut instinct is telling me something heavy is slowly moving, as these weren't light pit pats. Just a slow c soft crunch every few seconds.
My neck hair starts standing up and I flash my phone light towards the sound. The hill goes up to these massive homes, but there's a lot of bush and trees (socal), and I aim a little left and see this massive cat face and glowing yellow eyes. She gets startled (I know it was a she since there were 2 dark fur balls behind her) and runs up the hill.

That was the last time we drank there.

I have seen mountain lions twice living there, also large deer and smaller spotted deer. Strange for southern california.

Went out for a trail run in Arizona last January. Started at first light. About 15-20 minutes up the trail, right in the middle of the trail, were the still-warm remnants of a faun. Not much left of it. Since I was doing my best to run like a deer and knowing that lions are opportunistic hunters, I was kinda spooked for the next 20 minutes or so, when the sun came up.

Nothing that couldn't be explained by horses rather than zebras. (Or unicorns.)

Great thread! I am both enthralled and totally creeped out by some of the stories!

There is a thread on reddit by a USFS SAR professional. He has some intriguing tales along the lines of this thread. Definitely worth a read!

https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3sktwj/im_a_search_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/

@mods - apologies if we are not supposed to cross-link. Please delete if necessary. Thanks!

Cool! Thanks for sharing that!

There is a very interesting book, Out on Foot, by Rocky Elmore, a former border patrol agent, who talks about the hazardous duty of BP agents in the Otay area near the Mexican border with San Diego. He also mentions some very creepy paranormal incidences that occurred on the job, mostly happening in the 1990s. Elmore comes across as a no-B.S. type of guy, and the book itself is a great read. I would highly recommend it, even if you're mostly interested in what BP agents must deal with at our borders.

Jim

Jim

Sleep paralysis. It's commonly caused by waking rapidly from REM sleep, during which your muscles are weakened by the body to prevent you from acting out your dreams. During sleep paralysis one will usually experience extremely powerful hallucinations (often of a bedroom intruder) and/or strange physical phenomena, accompanied by a severe feeling of terror and the sense of a "malevolent force" in the room.

john-henry-fuseli-the-nightmare1.jpg

It really is a terrifying experience. About 50% of people will experience sleep paralysis at least once in their lifetime. I've experienced it two or three times, and it hasn't gotten any better.

Again, sleep paralysis is most likely caused by rapid awakening from REM sleep, not by the "spirit world."

Back