• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Heat Treat of Japanese laminated steels - white/blue or Suminagashi

I've been tossing this idea around for months and figured I'll give this a try :)

Heat Treating for laminated steel with Hitachi white or blue core.

I’m offering heat treat service for laminated steel with white or blue steel core, commonly purchased from Dictum or Workshop Heaven.
I will apply a thin clay slurry, quench and flash temper the blade to 63-64 HRC.
The clay slurry guards against the vapor blanket that is immediately formed during a water quench.
I will only do water quenching , no oil or brine, and nothing over 12" total length.
If necessary I will straighten the blade with a brass mallet on wood.
I would advise that you NOT forge or grind in the bevels before HT.
Water is the fastest quenchant for this high carbon steel and desirable if you want to get the maximum performance out of the steel.

Pricing will be $15 for 1 blade + $8 or $13 return shipping, depending on small or medium size flat rate shipping box. If I can do a cheaper shipping option, you can pay less.
I can reduce the price considerably per blade if there are more in a batch – contact me for a quote.
I can accept cash as payment, money orders or paypal, check if I know you.
I can HT almost any evening after my regular day job and ship back out the next day.
Your blades will be done one at a time in my burner propane forge and quenched in straight water.

I will heat treat your blades the exact same way I heat treat my own and as taught to me by Murray Carter in his bladesmithing program.
If possible, include a small coupon of scrap steel, I will also HT that piece, rough grind it to expose the core and check the hardness, and send it back to you

If you decide to send some blades please follow the guidelines below.
1. Confirm the steel by writing it on each blade
2. Write me a note including your name, address, Tel.#, & email. Add any other pertinent info
3. Include the note and enclose payment if applicable
5. Securely tape the box up.
Email me for address or contact tel #

I realize my price is not the lowest, but you get faster turnaround and a more traditional Japanese heat treat method.

Harbeer
hsc3.knives@gmail.com

Last edited:
Back