help a noob - catch all one and only blade Master Hunter 3V- Did I make a mistake?

CS-36CC.jpg

Hello all,

Happy to be part of the community here.

A little context:
I had some birthday money to spend and decided, based on endless positive reviews, to get the Cold Steel Master Hunter 3V.

It was $150 in Canada, ($139.99 plus tax). Probably not a lot of money for some of you on here but it feels like a huge investment for me.

I get that there are a million choices out there, and I do really like everything about this knife, but since I have about a week on the exchange of the purchase, I wanted to see if anyone thinks I missed the mark getting this knife?

My purpose for it are mostly daily kitchen food prep and house chores, I do semi regular wood working and would love to incorporate more unprocessed wood into shelf builds and whatnot, the occasional camping trip, and then it's ultimate backup purpose would be earthquake preparedness.

Also got a Silky Gomboy 210 for found wood sawing. Basically copying the Dutch Bushcrafting Knives guys setup from YouTube. Plus I love to sharpen my straight razor and kitchen knives so I've got a whole set of Chinese water stones, the credit card dmt hones, strops, chromium oxide, etc.

This knife seemed to be the best bang for buck "super steel" without being a folder.

What do you think? Did I totally miss the mark?

Last edited:
Seems like a great deal to me. 3v is considered some championship stuff.

Nice! Always loved this design but never bought one because of the distal taper. Do they still have a distal taper?

First, WELCOME!

Bang*Bang** said:
My purpose for it are mostly daily kitchen food prep and house chores ...
Sorry but the MH is a lousy choice for these tasks.

Blade is too thick and DLC coated and overall too heavy for it's size.

Just about any $15~$25 7"~8" Chef or Santoku will dramatically outperform the MH in the kitchen.

Great knife, but quite thick and bulky for the kitchen, and that blade profile and guard won't let you easily cut on a cutting board.

It'll work fantastic for outdoors tasks, wood processing, hunting type tasks, but actual kitchen work its gonna be less than ideal.

It will likely get used in the kitchen the most, but I have a few thin and cheap ($10) kitchen knives if I need to slice.

I have my eye on one of the Kai Wasabi blades ($30-50 CDN off Amazon.ca), when I have a few bucks. But I digress.

I think, from an investment stand point, for $150, I wanted as wide a breadth of usability as possible... but my machismo wanted something like this. Hence the sanity check on this post.

Here were the reviews that sold me on the Cold Steel Master Hunter and 3V specifically, for those interested.

Dutch Bushcrafting Knives - https://youtu.be/q23lFwULSEo

Gideons Tactical - https://youtu.be/eK7TafoqxKQ

Cedric Ada - https://youtu.be/ytnQzLy8B5s
Cedric's latest test (March 2017). He might do an overall video soonish. - https://youtu.be/pF_zPMBhub8

Last edited:
It will likely get used in the kitchen the most, but I have a few thin and cheap ($10) kitchen knives if I need to slice.
What else do you expect to do in the kitchen but slice?

Again, you're going to be disappointed with that MH in the kitchen.

$150 for such a poor kitchen performer is a bad "investment".

yeah poor choice for a kitchen knife. will do the tasks but not as well as much cheaper built for kitchen use knives. also expensive choice for the kitchen tasks.

outdoor tasks should perform great relative to it's size and geometry, etc.

plus i'd look for another sheath...i'm no fan of the infamous secure ex edge duller......

I got a Harukaze Santoku. Laminated Blade with a Blue #2 core.

It is a freaking light saber.

That would be a better choice for Kitchen work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly get a Canadian belt knife from the krupp steel bargain series....15 bucks and it will be a better kitchen knife!
I have 2 in a block for our kitchen as my wife is very hard on knives....I hide my shun's from her

It will however be a great camp/bushknife with a flat grind and distal taper.....way to much concern on how thick a sub 5in knife is, thin is in for actual knife tasks that don't involve a youtube destruction test

Congrats on your new addition. It might be less than ideal for kitchen work, but I'm sure you'll have little trouble having fun with it anyways :D

Say Heah Boys and Girls, I already had a SM3 version of the Master Hunter, I teamed it with my Kukuri Plus in O1 (not the machete), I was very pleased with mine, That's why I didn't team my A-1 with the F-1, but instead I teamed my A-1 with the H-1, Alot shy away from the H-1 because its advertised as a Hunting Knife, But to me it reminds me of my 3V Skookum Bush Tool and its a Awesome Bush Craft Knife. I originally bought mine to team with my Fox Bushcraft Parang, Its a great combo, But because I had a Vintage Frost 840 Clipper MG, I solved the debate if Bushcraft vs. Survival Knife we hear of so much, So I use both. The Frost Mora Clipper is so lite and I can wear both side by side with hardly noticing it. But I still know why I bought the 3V Master Hunter. Yeah, it has a distal tappered blade, But that's no problem for what I intended to use it for, I bought it to work wood with it, From my experience, its awesome in the bush, what's there not to like, great steel at a good price. Even Ethan Becker high regards the Master Hunter. Kitchen ? I dunno, why would someone buy a outdoors knife for the kitchen. But here's food for thought. Yeah, you can sharpen this knife very sharp so yeah, you can prolly cut a sandwich in half with it.,,.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Yah I wanted me some 3V (and the cool Cold Steel extra grippy handle).
but
I wanted a knife that was a realistic thickness to actually cut stuff.
What to do ? What to do ?
Well actually I didn’t think about it that much I just ordered it and ground away more than half the thickness of the blade.

Fancy/expensive black coated pry bar

A little grind, grind . . . annnnnnnnd

Meet “Gloria”
Serious cutting tool

Food prep you say . . .

So all you have to do is add a big O’ Norton 3X grinding wheel (and a super coarse diamond file is extremely handy . . . unless you have a natural talent for hand grinding knife blades AFTER they’ve been hardened . . . which I don’t . . . for me it’s a struggle and a fight all the way but one I enjoy) . . . and a little time . . . and bada boom bada bing you can have the best of both worlds.

Kitchen knives . . . some one was talking about kitchen knives . . . funny you should mention that . . . look for my next knife mod/frankenknife . . . I'm thinking :

This blade

modded to fold into the Voyager Large handle (or similar combo).
Am I a sick puppy or what ?

Last edited:
^^^ Yes ! Yes you are ... but I like it and I'm comin' over fer dinner, too .

I agree , op's new knife is great for bushcraft but too thick for kitchen work .

Supersteel ? If you got the $$$ , sure . But vastly overrated if you can sharpen .

Supersteel ? If you got the $$$ , sure . But vastly overrated if you can sharpen .

Mostly I agree.
Although it WAS IMPRESSIVE when I hit that box staple with it while cutting up boxes to fit in the dumpster and it didn't even effect the edge. I didn't hit it hard but many other blades would have gotten a good ding in the edge out of it.

Excellent knife, OP. I have read folks pairing the Master Hunter with an axe or saw and having all their woods needs met. Cleaning game and fish will be a snap. And if you put it in a more comfortable leather sheath, its size and handling will make it a good EDC tool. I'd carry one in a simple pouch sheath, cross draw, on the farm, for sure.

Keep at it with this knife in the kitchen. You will learn a lot about how it performs and you will develop ways to overcome its drawbacks​ in that environment. While I agree it cannot compete with a six-inch chef's knife for food prep, the more you do with it in that role, the more proficient you will be with it in the roles it was designed for. Practice with it on various styles of preparing chicken, especially.

Zieg

Last edited:
Wowbagger , the last photo seems like a 'Deba' which does have uses in the kitchen for heavy use.

MH is not a good kitchen tool but makes a very nice ' hunting knife' . I have the original and used it for years as my prime hunting knife .
I feel a kitchen knife at this point in time should be stainless . Any of the CPM steels is much easier to sharpen with diamond !!

Back