help a noob - catch all one and only blade Master Hunter 3V- Did I make a mistake?

Ah . . . Mete . . . there you are ! You disappeared there for a while. Did you know you were lost in the void ? How was the void ? Void like? . . . ok i'll stop.
seems like a 'Deba' which does have uses in the kitchen for heavy use.

I do not intend to divert this thread so I will keep it brief :

Japanese kitchen knife; called a Kurouchi Double Bevel :

Thickness at spine ~ 1.5 mm ((less than 2mm at the handle)) (~1/16 inch)

Behind the edge ~ 0.20 to 0.25 mm (~0.008 inch)

hahaha basically a big razor blade (only the grind is shallower on this knife . . . kidding but seems like it). This thing is really thin and shallow angle.

heavy use

Nah I think is shines at chopping chives and can slice carrots if you don't get too crazy about it.

I just love the thing. When the Honda CRX car came out, Road and Track said "The most fun you can have for three thousand dollars".

For my Kurouchi I would say "the scariest cutting knife experience you can have for $35" or for a hundred and thirty five dollars for that matter.

PS: no prob not being stainless; it patinas but as long as I dry it a little bit after washing NO rust.
Oh you mean the food taste thing . . . for my use it does fine but you are correct sir !

Last edited:
Haha, love the feedback! Frankenknifes; classic! Such a great idea to just grind the "cold steel of a deal" down to whatever you want. What a great idea!

Having used this knife over a couple of months, I can now say I've used it in all roles I was hoping to: kitchen prep, twig cutting, thicker branch hacking, and whittling, and yes, cutting sandwiches.

I love it.

I call it my "kitchen commando" knife. I've gotten used to it for slicing. The tip is nice and thin, but the heel of the knife is pretty thick. Good for hacking branches though.

Something about the weight, the balance, the relatively small size, the thin tip and thick heel, it just works really well in the all-rounder kinda way I was hoping it would. Pairing it with the Gomboy 210 has been fun. Found a downed branch at the local park. Sliced some chunks off with the Gomboy, prepped it with the Master Hunter (MH), drilled and filed a bit, then fine tuned the shape a bit more bit more the the MH, and made two wooden rings.

p1XvqJH5wXT22E5

(This would be the image, if I could get it to link properly.)
http://vault.sfu.ca/index.php/s/p1XvqJH5wXT22E5/download

The only thing I'm a little uncertain about is the sheath. It works, but I can really see how a leather sheath would be way more comfortable. Plus, JBmonkey mentioned that the secure ex one that comes with it might be dulling the knife. I suspect this to be true, however my local knife shop seems to only have a generic leather sheath for $60 CDN. So that might have to wait.

Overall though, I'm really happy. I'd still reach for a proper kitchen knife if I needed to do some fancy slicing, but that's a rarity. Most of the time, I just go kitchen commando. F*king carrots and cucumbers don't know what hit 'em. ;)

Last edited:
:) This thread has now got me lusting for a 3V Master Hunter :oops:. NO NO NO ...get out of my head foul greedy desire ! :eek:

I can assure you that the AUS-8A cold-steel marauder, the KOBUN AUS-8A, and the recon tanto SAN MAI lll VG-1 cuts more and are much stronger than stainless steel AISI 420js HRC 54/56 kitchen knife Japan paid 19 euro

Because of their particular conformation they are not the most suitable to be used as kitchen knives, if you like the master hunter CPM-3V so why not buy it

Last edited:
I can assure you that the AUS-8A cold-steel marauder, the KOBUN AUS-8A, and the recon tanto SAN MAI lll VG-1 cuts more and are much stronger than stainless steel AISI 420js HRC 54/56 kitchen knife Japan paid 19 euro

Because of their particular conformation they are not the most suitable to be used as kitchen knives, if you like the master hunter CPM-3V so why not buy it
:) I believe OP already did order the knife but is awaiting the dogsled delivery up north there . ;)
He just wants some reassurance ! :cool:

:) This thread has now got me lusting for a 3V Master Hunter :oops:.

Seriously, do it! I liked it so much I'm seriously considering one of the smaller Cold Steel 3V knives as an EDC.

After a visit to Tandy, I got some "cheap" shoulder leather ($30 CDN a sheet ), and I hope to build a leather sheath and find out if it is the plastic Secure Ex is dulling the knife. It's a pity if it is. That sheath is so easy to modify.

Interesting, I'll have to check those knives out!

And just incase there was any question, once the sun showed up and melted the vast amounts of snow, the sled dogs could deliver my knife. Of course now there are flooding problems in Canada. At least we still have universal healthcare.

Seriously, do it! I liked it so much I'm seriously considering one of the smaller Cold Steel 3V knives as an EDC.

After a visit to Tandy, I got some "cheap" shoulder leather ($30 CDN a sheet ), and I hope to build a leather sheath and find out if it is the plastic Secure Ex is dulling the knife. It's a pity if it is. That sheath is so easy to modify.

Interesting, I'll have to check those knives out!

And just incase there was any question, once the sun showed up and melted the vast amounts of snow, the sled dogs could deliver my knife. Of course now there are flooding problems in Canada. At least we still have universal healthcare.
;) You could use that leather to make a nice "shoulder" holster ! :p
Seriously, a leather sheath might be a good idea to help preserve the coating on the blade as well as the sharpness . :cool:

:eek: It will soon be so hot and humid down here that we'll be wishing to be up north . And no free healthcare in sight for us :( .

Yeah, I heard about the healthcare update in the US of A. Pregnancy as a "pre-existing condition" among others. One really might question who that benefits, because I'm thinking it's not pregnant women... or their families.

Once I figure out where/how I like to wear my sheath, then I'll commit to making one out of leather. Until then, I'm just going to experiment with the Secure Ex and make a strop and stuff with the leather.

If you meant a shoulder sheath like a 1950's detective pistol holsters, that would be asking for trouble where I live. Besides, we only carry knives and whatnot as a tool for a job in Canada. Hence why police are the only ones with guns, it's a tool for their job. Knives are not for self defense up here, just for opening cans of maple syrup or beer... and carving the odd sled dog sleigh.

Exciting update!

I got bored of the factory edge on the Master Hunter 3V (MH). It's pretty darn sturdy and everything, but I wanted a knife I could shave on.

After watching this
I thought I'd try resetting the bevel at a super low angle on a 400 grit stone and then strop on denim and Chromium Oxide (CrOx), just like in the video and see what happens.

It took a bit of work to remove the factory bevel, but holy $h!t is this a slicey edge all of the sudden!

Pictures of the new edge:
http://vault.sfu.ca/index.php/s/BKw1rOULOuNRCm7

http://vault.sfu.ca/index.php/s/gSzKH4wjnVjGbjr

Trying to show the angle that's just slightly steeper than the V-grind of the blade:
http://vault.sfu.ca/index.php/s/p2fPj9auR5DrNHo

http://vault.sfu.ca/index.php/s/2QH5Z56dzrd9UMJ

It remains to be seen what angle the bevel is and if it will stand up to abuse at all (I doubt it). And, yes, I kinda butchered the diamond like coating (DLC) a bit, but it certainly pops hairs almost better than my straight razor.

I am tempted to try a facial shave on this bad boy... hmm. I'll let you know how it goes.

Update - it shaved beautifully! As good or better than my Dovo straight razor!

It's good to know it works as an emergency razor so I can stay well groomed in a zombie apocalypse. :)

Back