Help identify Calvary Sword please

Could you get some dimensions? Overall length, Blade length, Blade width at the guard, and a picture of the whole sword. And any scabbard it might have.

Welcome aboard.

In hand, you should be able to make out the retailer/furbisher name at the base of the blade. Hardly a reproduction, it is a presentation grade sword, likely soon after the ACW but could easily be of the 1860s war. It is a foot officer type, not cavalry. The missing pommel finial was probably an eagle but there were other variations. One other not uncommon a bust of Pallas Athena. I cannot make out the name on the blade but you might search varitions of the name here
https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/soldiers-and-sailors-database.htm
If you can share the name by just transcribing it for us, everyone can sleuth. State databases for the ACW are out there as well.

Some specialize their interests in presentation swords. Simon Rycroftt of americanswords.com is one such

Philadelphia, D.C. and New York City were the primary cities where these retailers sold. The cutlery and sword business in NYC goes back to before the revolution. Baltimore and Philadelphia other major early players. A couple in Boston, so scrutinize the blade a bit and tell us what you see.

Surely don't junk it as decorative guadiness. Preserve it as a piece of historic decprative guadiness. Do nothing in terms of cleaning at this point. Not even wiping the blade aside from gentle dusting. What remains of the gilt will continue to depart from the blade and hilt. The grip looks like sheet silver and gilt wire. Again, be gentle. Handle with clean cloth gloves.

Cheers

GC

Good stuff, Horesclover.

I was going to say that from the world of old machines and fishing boats at least, I generally only see square nuts like that on actual old stuff.

In looking more at the scabbard, likely postwar and along the lines of a GAR period item of the 1870s/80s. Still, follow the retailer and recipient names.

Thanks for all the help so far. Here's some additional info and pics. There is no discernible maker mark or brand on the hilt, or anywhere else on the sword. https://goo.gl/photos/rfqSxJUXXryKyoZ68
Sword oal= 37.5"
Handle length= 5.5" guard to butt
Guard width= 3.75"
Blade width at hilt= 1.25"
Blade width at center= 1"
Scabbard oal= 33.5"

Please let me know if any other details/pics/dimensions would be helpful. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Back