help in identifying sword

Hello Friends,
I'm searching for anyone who might be able to help me or point me in the right direction to identify the following sword blade. You can see many of the details from the picture. I'd also like to know if this a fake, and if not where this may have been made, what the handle might have looked like, etc. Ultimately I would like to put a handle on this that is true to what it may have looked originally but I have no idea what that is. Any help you may be able to offer is welcomed!
Thank you!
Mike
The blade is 28" long from tip to ricasso.

Looks true to the date. I would post it to the vikingsword.com forum myArmoury.com or swordforum.com

Judging by the tip and blade profile as well as cross section, I'd say it has been shortened a good bit. Quite similar to the big Spanish cavalry swords of the day but those often tend to be fullered. I would say "likely Spanish", lightly anyway.
http://perso.wanadoo.es/jjperez222/tropacab_e.htm
author of the page, Juan Perez is active on swordforum.com at the antique&military section.

Did the sword blade surface in the SW?

Cheers

GC

Did the sword blade surface in the SW?

Cheers

GC[/QUOTE]
Thanks GC,
I really appreciate your thoughts and advice on where to look for further information. I'll see what info I can dig up on the other sites you mentioned. I found this sword in a second-hand store while traveling through Alaska.
Mike

Back