HI Kunai

Yangdu

Himalayan Imports Owner ~ himimp@aol.com
Good Afternoon to all

Kumar made the HI Kunai.
Any suggestion or comments are more then welcome.
$125.

Last edited:
very attractive indeed, although a handle wrap lets say leather, will make it even more attractive.

My first thought was "surveyor's plumb bob," but obviously that's not really it.

I did a web search on "Kunai". Apparently it's a Japanese throwing dagger, historically favored by ninjas. In the Japanese version only the tip is sharp, not the edges, which appears to be the case for Kumar's Kunai. Also, the balance point should be halfway between the two ends and the weight should be 7 oz or greater.

This is just what I found in a quick web search, so others might have more information or corrections.

If this is for sale it would be useful to have the overall length, balance point and weight, as well as price.

Huzzah! That's made for me! Special design. How much do I owe you yangdu?! Waiting for email reply. Can't wait to hold it. You're right David. Japanese garden tool, ninjas started to use them & made famous. The loop is for finger or rope for throwing. They come in a wide array of sizes. I like the thickness of this. I'll be moving dirt around with it or cutting rope!

Going off memory here, so be patient with me, but I believe our late forum friend Danny In Japan used to talk about what a useful tool the kunai could be. The irony is that while he studied ninjutsu, he talked it more as common digging/scraping tool/weapon. Nothing overly stylized, but just something that you can poke around with or kill a snake or stab with if you life was in danger.

I really like this one. I'd be down for one:)

This is one of them things that grows on you. At first I took a glance and just didn't flutter my skirt. BUT, I've come back and looked a few times and now I dream about it on good dream nights as opposed to those nightmare dream nights ya know.

See a few down for one before me but when the time is right I have a home for one too.

I'd like a couple of these also. Thinking like an oal 6 to 7 inch? And a mini about half that size, would be great pendant or keychain (if don't stick myself!!)

Beautifully done! Grats to the new owner.

Here's one a little bit older. Ironically I made this at the same time as this post. Its actually a copy;) I aint done with it yet. I still got a pass or two of pressure flaking.

7581c0606dfbc1488e7e3d4b66f2d1a5

Dude, your getting the hang of that napping stuff. Looking good. And I don't see no band aids, at least on that hand.

Ha! Thanks Mr. B. Im getting pretty good at keeping vital fluids inside except when it comes to knapping obsidian. I can almost always count on drawing blood and digging glass chips from deep below the skin. Luckily this one was flint. Im still trying to knapp a glass Khuk for you know who but glass knapping hurts I tell ya! I really didnt know what A Kunai was until this thread. You might notice on the handle of this one it has some white concrete looking crap that wasnt flint so I had to bust it out and this is what I ended up with. It was supposed to be a big blade. Im going to finish it up and ill post a done pic if I dont break it. Might wrap it up a bit in leather or rawhide. All them shavings behind it is sinew. Man you talk about a pain it is to process that stuff. I might make a cord for the Kunai with it for grins?

You really work your way around those knapps Ndoghouse. Hopefully we can all get a kunai! I'm still waiting for mine :( ill post something when i get it. hoping my next knife after will be a sword!

Very cool Nep C! That was a great idea! I heard of such a weapon but I thought maybe it was a Ninja Turtle si or something? Id definitely like to see a run of those. Id be in for one!

Thanks for the support! I knew it would be great! When I originally asked for it, I sent in a wooden copy with the Christogram engraved on it. I originally meant to save it for when I get a forge, but that will not be for many years. Its a common weapon in animation cartoons, and popular to see flimsy versions at military surplus stores and other places. This one, however, is unlike any on earth. It will become warm from use, and will clean up nicely every time. I encourage you to ask auntie for one! hell, if i had the money id ask to send one out to you all haha. btw has anyone heard from auntie? she will not return my emails. I was thinking earlier today, getting a dozen of these would be great! screw them onto a 2x4 to make a mayan type sword. It really amazed me, the mayan's sword fighting with wooden swords that had sharp blades all over. anyway! has anyone heard from auntie? i was going to call in but I'm rather busy and don't want to bother her after working hours

I emailed with her yesterday I believe. Sometimes some folks emails don't get through for some reason, or it could be she's just not had time to check them today.
Try again, if you don't get through, let us know and I'll see if she responds to me and will have her check.

Not heard from Aunti myself. The Mayan tool you speak of wouldnt happen to be the macuahuitl would it?

c975de6f06f2bdf5c5a23db2db000a06

They make them of obsidian, shark teeth, gar scales etc. but they are basically a wooden sword. Many cultures made many different types but the Mayan obsidian ones are so wicked! Grats on getting your Kunai completed. A stick with a few of them mounted would also be wicked.
Im working on a similar weapon myself but making them little blades is not an easy task. Ill say im pretty good at it but it takes a few dozen of them to get usable blades. Ill keep you updated if you are interested. Right now im actually working on a boomerang with these blades mounted on the outside edge. Kinda like a rabbit stick on steroids :)

A boomerang with blades on the outside edge. Hold me mommy, I'm skeered.

Note to Ndog: DO NOT TRY TO CATCH THAT THING WHEN IT COMES BACK. Maybe toss it and then jump in your truck just to be safe.

Ha! You mustta saw Mad Max! Fergit getting it back. That returning boomerang dont usually apply to hunting 'rangs. Thats hollywood stuff mostly. You got to go find it once you do the "kill" and usually go chase your "kill" down first. Hopefully you dyed it yellow or something brighter than a regular stick.

legit maya sword thing! you'd fit right into an eagle or jaguar knight regiment. i can speak some salish amerindian, but thats a difficult mayan word to pronounce. salish is worlds apart from the yucatán languages. i can't get over your knapping skills. i bet if i sent you a brick of glass you could do anything with it!

Back