Hideout improved

Hello all just finish a Loveless design hideout hope ya like it

Blade; 4 1/8ths inches, mirror polished, double hollow ground, 440C
Bolster; 416SS
Handle; Maroon linen micata with red liners on a tapered tang
OAL; 9 inches
Sheath; 8/9oz wickett & craig leath with belt clip.

full

Thanks for looking

Fantastic!!! Never a 'dull' moment in your shop my friend....;)

Looks great, Bob. Whoever is getting it is getting one fine knife!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

did Loveless ever use this handle on this model?
looks super!

Just terrific.

did Loveless ever use this handle on this model?
looks super!
As they have said: Yes.

These knives are called the 'Improved' versions, from RWL. Bob Appleby nailed it.

I met Bob Loveless at a small knife show in Ontario, CA with a close friend about 14 years ago.

At that time, between us, my friend and I had around 50 years combined of experience in the knife world....not just buying them, but making them, selling them and designing them.

My friend now runs Kershaw/Kai USA and I do what I do.

My initial impression at the time was that Loveless was likely the biggest jackass I have ever met in the community. You hear that from a lot of people who have met Loveless. He spoke his mind, was direct and pointed like a knife, and had NO patience for fools, it seemed. Sounds like someone else I know, come to think of it, lol.

Then, about two years later, I had the opportunity to "start over".

It was at my first AKI(2005). I wore a nice chalkstriped suit, and Bob commented on it.

We went out to the deck, I smoked a cigar and he smoked about half a pack of cigarettes.....and he explained his design philosophy.

Bob never felt that he was a fantastically accomplished knife MAKER. He felt his gift was in the design. I can say quite confidently that after all my time in this community, Bob Loveless created some of the best designed knives in the world, up to this point in history.

The Improved Hideout is a massive PITA to craft. The blade and handle grinds are exacting and provide no room for error. More than one maker has told me that they won't take orders for Loveless style knives because they can make two of their own designs in the same time it takes to make a Loveless design.

I used to think I liked the NY Special until I held one. It's a tiny bladed, fixed pocket knife. Seriously, the blade is less than 3" long. The Hideout is about 4 1/8" to 4 3/8" depending. It's what I consider a legitimate "back up" or "boot" knife. The Improved Hideout feels great in the hand, and it fully displays Bob's design mastery.

Here's a pic that Francesco Pachi did for me when I was working with Dr. David Darom on his last book. Knives by Bob Loveless and Marcus Lin.
Knife-Loveless-Pachi II.jpg
Great looking work, Bob (Appleby) !

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited:
I am a big NYS and Hideout fan

I have found the NYS to be a lovely suit knife while being small it is also unobtrusive and Carey's well in a horizontal sheath

STeven is correct an excellent design

I would probale like the improved Hideout very much for I fund the Hideout to be on the larger side for the way I carry them

Back