Hiking boot preference?

What's everyone's preference on specs for boots? Weight? Gore Tex? Leather? Just curious because I'm in the market for some new ones. I usually wear Red Wings as everyday boots so I'm used to heavier weight, but have never used anything heavy for longer hiking trips.

My favorite hiking boots are Solomon. I'm not sure of the name for this model but they're the best I've ever owned!
53ec4264fcbfa1718e086c03efce7771.jpg
d1149ab43677356f443be780c9770d2c.jpg
I suggest you pay a bit more not less. I've found with boots and shoes you get what you pay for. These are your feet we're talking about and they get you around on this planet so treat them well!

Cheers

Brett

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I like Solomon too. Honestly though, when I have done any long distance hiking, i have always preferred trail running shoes. Depends on your intended use I suppose.

I've had a couple pair of Danner I really like, but recently I went to La Sportiva Raptors, and I love them so much more. Couldn't believe how much more I liked hiking in them.

I love my Keen Logan boots, there are several similar styles to choose from though, just make sure you get the ones made in the USA. I ordered a pair of Chinese Keen and was dissatisfied with the quality of material and workmanship, the fit was funky too.

The pair that fits YOU best! There are lots of favorite boots out there. I've had some really bad blisters buying someone else's favorite boots! The only way to know is to try them on and walk some distance with them.

I only buy Keens because they're the only ones that fit right for wider feet that I've noticed. I have 4 pairs of Targhee II's, mid hiking boots, and winter boots. The only downside is they last about a year for me, but I wear them all of the time, when I'm not working. I usually shop around for sales and pick them up for around $60-$70 when I find them.

Not enough information.

Where do you hike?

What seasons?

How heavy is your typical pack?

These questions will lead to the right type of boot in terms of height and support.

After you select the right type, I recommend trying on decent boots from multiple vendors as the lasts are different. You might have a Merrell foot or a Keen foot or something different. What fits me well has no bearing on what will fit you.

Intended use, terrain, season are the initial criteria to determine.

Once those are decided, then the specifics of the shape, length, width and "thickness" of your feet determine which boot to buy. Most (all?) boot/shoe manufacturers have a physical "model" of a foot they use (called a last) in each length and approximate width when making boots.

The "last" they use usually differs from boot model to model. For example, i wear LaSportiva mountaineering boots, but only the "Nepal" lasted models. The other boot lasts simply do not fit me well - regardless if the length/width is "correct".

Most usually, with boots you get what you pay for, but not always (sometimes more, but usually less...).

Finally, shop for brands that are well known in hiking activities - not a tactical wannabe or a "Bass Pro Shop Special Offering (or Cabela's for that matter)".

Last edited:
Salomon quest 4d 2 GTX... great boots! I've done quite a few hikes with them and they've been perfect.

Recently my two favorites have been the Oboz Bridger (low) and the Ahnu Ridgecrest.

Apparently, Ahnu has recently been merged into Teva and I no longer see the Ridgecrest listed on their site. (However, I was fortunate enough to have the foresight to purchase multiple pairs.)

Both models above offer excellent arch support, cushioning and stability...a rarity in most shoes...and as a result don't require the Superfeet green insoles I generally use.

Pick boots for the conditions and distances you'll be hiking in. Long distance/heavy pack/rocky terrain? You want a good amount of ankle support and thick, stiff soles. Trail run in Moab? Get a glorified running shoe with great ventilation.

Blisters make any hike a miserable experience. Blisters obviously come from friction and heat. Good boots are important but you've also got to do your part with taping, liner socks, and correct lacing. It's also really important to keep moisture in the boot to a minimum because it macerates the skin and increases friction.

I've learned to go without Gore-Tex for footwear. It adds weight/bulk and, despite the marketing, traps moisture in the boot. In dry conditions it traps perspiration and in wet conditions it inhibits draining. I look for a model with decent drainage and ventilation and water resistant materials.

I've had good experience with boots from Zamberlain, Lowa, Garmont, and Merrell.

The only dedicated "hiking" boots ive ever purchased are Merrell Goretex and the work fine . But im still a fan of leather field boots with a 8" top and Vibram lugged sole . I have a pair of low heeled Chippewa loggers I absolutely love , they're about ready for a third sole . I wear them that much .

Check out The Complete Walker IV by Colin Fletcher for excellent advice on boots. Every foot is different, so what suits one person may not suit another. A good sporting goods store like REI or Mountain Equipment (in Canada) usually has competent people. Most will let you take the boots home for a week or so to see if they suit. I wore out a pair of Lowa Banff model boots after about 8 years and 5,000 miles and currently have a pair of very similar Scarpas. Many of the lighter waterproof leather/synthetic boots are also excellent these days.

Check out The Complete Walker IV by Colin Fletcher for excellent advice on boots. Every foot is different, so what suits one person may not suit another. A good sporting goods store like REI or Mountain Equipment (in Canada) usually has competent people. Most will let you take the boots home for a week or so to see if they suit. I wore out a pair of Lowa Banff model boots after about 8 years and 5,000 miles and currently have a pair of very similar Scarpas. Many of the lighter waterproof leather/synthetic boots are also excellent these days.
REI gives you a year. I took one pair (Vasque) back to them for exchange to another brand after months (REI gives you a year IIRC). REI has the best return policy I've ever seen on boots (or other equipment).

Back